Desktop Computers

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Will confirm. Though some programs can be weird. WoW, if full screen (non-windowed) it would not limit refresh rate, if i did windowed/windowed fullscreen, it would max out based on my other monitors that aren't 144. Weirdly enough, if i clicked on another monitor, the windowed wow would then jump above the cap, and then cap again if i went back to the program. This was resolved using a windows setting to control max refresh rate. But primarily, blizzard games have been the only ones to give me any speed bumps with my new monitor.
This is a weird gsync behavior that can be caused by programs like Skype for Business or Discord that render using directX. You need to disable gsync for those applications using nvidia control panel.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jeydax

Death and Taxes
^ I've noted that with Skype. Thanks for the advice on disabling it in the nvidia control panel. Makes sense.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm looking for something new in a monitor myself. Mostly for work, with some gaming (Diablo, FPS maybe, random other games). I have a 26" DoubleSight from 2008. Wondering what to do to upgrade. Pair it with another 26", or is a 34" curved like this overkill? Worth it? Good for work? (Excel, Word, working with images/light graphic design)

With G Synch it's 1300 bucks. I really dont think I need G Synch though

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
Either get a 24" 1080p or 27" or 1440p 144hz monitor. If your computer can handle 60FPS for all games you play, GSync/FreeSync is not needed, but I'd be lying if it ain't sweet having adaptive sync though =P. I was a non believer until I tried.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
This is a weird gsync behavior that can be caused by programs like Skype for Business or Discord that render using directX. You need to disable gsync for those applications using nvidia control panel.
I never found a specific program option for the control panel. But I basically forced it in windows and it solved my problem. It was just odd how one game only had the problem and only when windowed and the currently active window.

Alpha

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I really want a new monitor but these prices are a bit steep still. I think my OC'd Qnix will work just fine until these prices are more reasonable, I wonder how long it will take thou.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Dumbass question. I want to hook a few 60hz monitors up to my 1070. I think the only ports I have left are 4x display ports (I used the one DVI for my 144hz).

Do display port to DVI adapters work reasonably well for what I need? Since it's 60HZ I don't really care about it affecting refresh rate

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Dumbass question. I want to hook a few 60hz monitors up to my 1070. I think the only ports I have left are 4x display ports (I used the one DVI for my 144hz).

Do display port to DVI adapters work reasonably well for what I need? Since it's 60HZ I don't really care about it affecting refresh rate

Yeah, but make sure to get "active" adapters depending on the specs for that vid card. A lot of times if you get the cheapo passive adapters monitors don't wake from sleep properly, won't get signal, etc.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Use Displayport for your 144hz.

Omi43221

Trakanon Raider
CPU: Intel Core i3-6300 3.8GHz Dual-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus Z170I PRO GAMING Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 6GB AMP! Edition Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

My current plan

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
I would upgrade to a basic i5, you sacrifice a lot in certain uses with a dual core.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
tl;dr LOLZ GOT AN EMPTY BOX FROM ORIGIN PC TODAY!

True story:

I woke up at 9:00AM this morning and saw a text message from my dad at 7:30AM saying, "UPS is looking for you to deliver a big crate.", and I'm like WTF!?

I then got a call at 9:01AM from UPS asking me where they needed to deliver the giant ass crate. So, I tell them my address and the dude tells me, in a serious huff, "Awkay, we'll git eet rescheduled".

I then call him back around 11:00AM and ask, "Uh, so you guys called me today and told me you'd be delivering a package to me. Do I need to be at my house to receive it?" And he replies, "Yeah, we'll be delivering it some time between 8AM and 8PM and you have to sign for it."

I'm like WTF!?, "So, am I supposed to sit at home all day waiting for this package to arrive?", to which he responds, "IDC what you do bro."

Long MF'ing story short, I go to the UPS place to pick up the box (with a friend bc the crate won't fit in my go cart of a car). Well, the box is empty...

W-T-F?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
For the record, I'm assuming that this is merely the box that I'm supposed to ship my old computer back in. I emailed my contact at Origin, like 10 hours ago, but haven't heard anything. Either way, I'm not holding my breath.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Would be awesome if someone stole it. Rofl!

I once got lazy back in the day and ordered a pimped out Alienware machine (back when they were their own company before Dell). They shipped 2 boxes; 1 with the monitor, the other with the PC. Needless to say, the PC never arrived. I took it as a sign and simply took the refund and built my own. Someone nabbed a baller PC for its time!