Desktop Computers

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Is there an added benefit? I already have the DVI cable hooked up for it with no displayport cables
DP has more bandwidth than Dual Link DVI.

What I would do is run DP on the 144hz monitor then a bunch of DP-to-HDMI cables for the others if they don't have DP inputs.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Ok I looked that up, didn't know that.

Is the benefit really for 1080p+ resolutions though? I'm gaming on a 1080p 144hz monitor

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
No, there's no real benefit there. But DP-to-HDMI cables do not need to be powered or anything.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Great thanks. I'm fairly smart but when it comes to displays I'm way behind.

My card does have one dual link DVi and 4 display ports so I could really turn into Sam deathwalker if i wanted

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Looking for suggestions on this build. I haven't built a PC in years so not sure whats good/bad. My budget is 900-1k not including monitor and peripherals.

Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 950 2GB SSC ACX 2.0, 200R ATX Mid Tower - System Build - PCPartPicker

1) Get a Windows 10 from Marketplace for Microsoft Software • /r/microsoftsoftwareswap
2) Do you live near a MicroCenter? If so you can get the CPU and Motherboard combo for much cheaper ($320 combo)
3) Don't get a GTX 950 - the 1060 3GB version just came out and it'd be a much better bet.
4) I'm pretty covered up with work right now but I am sure someone else here is going to provide some other suggestions. I can look a little closer later tonight.

Edit: I'd find a way to get a 1070 in there to be honest. Watch Slickdeals: The Best Deals, Coupons, Promo Codes & Discounts for deals if you can. If you're patient, even if you just browse for a week or so, you can score some amazing savings on a case, powersupply, memory and SSD. For example, an extremely similar powersupply to what you have in there is on-sale at Amazon for $55 (EVGA 750 GQ 80+ Gold 750W Semi Modular Power Supply $55 + Free Shipping) - I think if you're running one card you should pull the trigger on it now before the deal runs out. The only difference I quickly saw was that this one is semi-modular which is perfectly fine for your budget. I can guarantee you'd be able to save up to $200 off those items using SlickDeals to jump up to a GTX 1070 which would be a massive improvement over what you have in there now.

One question: What resolution do you plan on gaming at? 1080p? 1440p? Other?

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fenriz

Molten Core Raider
1) Get a Windows 10 from Marketplace for Microsoft Software • /r/microsoftsoftwareswap
2) Do you live near a MicroCenter? If so you can get the CPU and Motherboard combo for much cheaper ($320 combo)
3) Don't get a GTX 950 - the 1060 3GB version just came out and it'd be a much better bet.
4) I'm pretty covered up with work right now but I am sure someone else here is going to provide some other suggestions. I can look a little closer later tonight.

Edit: I'd find a way to get a 1070 in there to be honest. Watch Slickdeals: The Best Deals, Coupons, Promo Codes & Discounts for deals if you can. If you're patient, even if you just browse for a week or so, you can score some amazing savings on a case, powersupply, memory and SSD. For example, an extremely similar powersupply to what you have in there is on-sale at Amazon for $55 (EVGA 750 GQ 80+ Gold 750W Semi Modular Power Supply $55 + Free Shipping) - I think if you're running one card you should pull the trigger on it now before the deal runs out. The only difference I quickly saw was that this one is semi-modular which is perfectly fine for your budget. I can guarantee you'd be able to save up to $200 off those items using SlickDeals to jump up to a GTX 1070 which would be a massive improvement over what you have in there now.

One question: What resolution do you plan on gaming at? 1080p? 1440p? Other?

Thanks man that's some good info. Probably just 1080p? Looking to play mainly FPS games with some good ol EQ thrown into the mix.

No microcenter btw.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Thanks man that's some good info. Probably just 1080p? Looking to play mainly FPS games with some good ol EQ thrown into the mix.

No microcenter btw.

Yeah I'd go with the 1060 for 1080p. If you have any possibility of going higher res in the future, spring for the 1070.

Fenriz

Molten Core Raider
Yeah I'd go with the 1060 for 1080p. If you have any possibility of going higher res in the future, spring for the 1070.

Going to spring for the 1070 since I should be able to save enough through slickdeals it looks like. I just bought the PSU jeydax posted up and saved 30 bucks on that alone.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Glad I could help there. JohnnyGuru (really good website for PSU reviews) didn't have a review for that particular model that you got, but they did review the 650W and 850W and both got 9.4 and 9.2 out of 10 respectively and also a "Tier 1" (ie top tier) PSU according to Toms Hardware. So you're good there.

Edit: I put in manual pricing for what I could find on recentldeals on SlickDeals for the items I put in. If you're going to go to a 1070 or at least are willing to go a little above $1k, check this list out: Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0, Define S ATX Mid Tower - System Build - PCPartPicker

Edit edit: Kinja Deals is another place to watch for deals too, but I normally check theirs against SD since the guys at SD are better at sniffing out, uh... fake deals I guess.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fenriz

Molten Core Raider
Glad I could help there. JohnnyGuru (really good website for PSU reviews) didn't have a review for that particular model that you got, but they did review the 650W and 850W and both got 9.4 and 9.2 out of 10 respectively and also a "Tier 1" (ie top tier) PSU according to Toms Hardware. So you're good there.

Edit: I put in manual pricing for what I could find on recentldeals on SlickDeals for the items I put in. If you're going to go to a 1070 or at least are willing to go a little above $1k, check this list out: Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC Gaming ACX 3.0, Define S ATX Mid Tower - System Build - PCPartPicker

Edit edit: Kinja Deals is another place to watch for deals too, but I normally check theirs against SD since the guys at SD are better at sniffing out, uh... fake deals I guess.

That build looks great! I don't mind going over a little to get something better. Thanks for your help man. Know anything about monitors? Haha

Omi43221

Trakanon Raider
I'm starting to waiver on building the PC myself. I priced parts out for a a build and it came to 825. I built the same build on cyberpower pc and it came out to 894. 70 bucks and it shows up on my doorstep already built and tested. thoughts ?

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I'm starting to waiver on building the PC myself. I priced parts out for a a build and it came to 825. I built the same build on cyberpower pc and it came out to 894. 70 bucks and it shows up on my doorstep already built and tested. thoughts ?

Cyberpower does a decent job with their builds. And honestly, that is not a terrible markup to have it put together for you. They even do decent cable management and provide some warranty. Just make sure they give you decent components and not some cut rate shit.