Desktop Computers

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
based on early reviews, none of the Ryzen 7 chips are able to compete with the 7700k when it comes to gaming.

AMD has failed.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
You know, i see them say it doesnt but i dont actually see those reviews yet. However outside of gaming the CPU seems pretty beast for its price tag and thats still enough to warrant my build. I only play WoW and eventually ME:A so even if the cpu is 5-8fps under intel(which i doubt it would be with dual 980ti's) i still have no qualms with supporting the Zen architecture.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I see what you're saying but I don't understand

Are you buying amd just because it's not Intel? I'm not trying to be confrontational just trying to work it out

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I see what you're saying but I don't understand

Are you buying amd just because it's not Intel? I'm not trying to be confrontational just trying to work it out
Because it destroys Intell procs that are double their price in everything other than gaming?

So if gaming and gaming alone is why you buy PC, then go Intel

If you do other shit on computer other than gaming, AMD is hard to beat.

AMD Ryzen Review: Ryzen 7 1800X & 1700X Put to the Test

"While the gaming results might not be as strong as we had hoped for, they are highly competitive and that should hold particularly true for the Ryzen 5 and 3 series. It's also worth noting that we are testing extreme gaming performance here with the Titan XP at 1080p. Ryzen looks more competitive at 1440p, and certainly so when paired with a GTX 1070 or Fury X."

Do you own Intel stock or something bro? Intel is not going anywhere, maybe this will finally kick them in the ass to make some better raw processing power in the future, not this trickle of 5-10% they have been giving us for the last decade.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Like I said before I wrote BIOS for Intel processors on servers so while I don't have stock I have worked with the company

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
You know, i see them say it doesnt but i dont actually see those reviews yet. However outside of gaming the CPU seems pretty beast for its price tag and thats still enough to warrant my build. I only play WoW and eventually ME:A so even if the cpu is 5-8fps under intel(which i doubt it would be with dual 980ti's) i still have no qualms with supporting the Zen architecture.
there's dozens out there by this point.

AMD Ryzen 7 1700 vs. a 5-year-old gaming PC, or why you should never preorder

looks like a pretty good chip if you're a content producer or something along those lines, but the chip gets pummeled when it comes to gaming. feels like deja vu from whenever AMD launched Bulldozer or whatever the last big one was.

Jovec

?
If you NEED a many core CPU then Intel isn't that expensive. If you WANT a many core CPU then it is and Ryzen is a good value. The vast majority of vocal tech board posters fall into the latter.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
If you NEED a many core CPU then Intel isn't that expensive. If you WANT a many core CPU then it is and Ryzen is a good value. The vast majority of vocal tech board posters fall into the latter.
if you want gaming performance (the vast majority of the market) then Intel is better performance at a lower price.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I don't understand this post

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Hes saying if you really need a workstation type CPU, then cost is irrelevant? And if you just want a workstation CPU on a budget then Ryzen is good value. Which makes sense I guess.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Hes saying if you really need a workstation type CPU, then cost is irrelevant? And if you just want a workstation CPU on a budget then Ryzen is good value. Which makes sense I guess.
the problem is that the gaming enthusiast market bigly outweighs the niche of content creators who are looking to build home workstations. if AMD is unable to crack the gaming market with a better value proposition, they are essentially dead in the water.

upload_2017-3-2_11-19-4.png

SELL! SELL! SELL!

Jovec

?
I don't understand this post

Read comments about AMD CPUs (Ryzen or FX/Vishera) on review sites/message boards and there are plenty of posts about how a $200 FX competes in (certain) multi-thread apps with a $350 I7, or now how a $500 Ryzen competes with a $1000 HW-E and thus it's a great value.

And for many hobbyists, it is. But if you make your money off of CPU performance than spending an extra $500 or even $5000 on the better system is really a negligible cost.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I see it as a marketing problem. AMD keeps on marketing these workstation workhorses, which they do really well at, as gaming performers, which they are really shitty at. And I would peg gaming segment really small compared to the amount of servers, workstations for data processing and rendering being purchased.

I know my company buys/leases 100s of xenon workstations every 2-3 yrs. And this is automotive engineering, not even anything having to do with graphics, rendering or any of that shit.