Desktop Computers

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I see it as a marketing problem. AMD keeps on marketing these workstation workhorses, which they do really well at, as gaming performers, which they are really shitty at. And I would peg gaming segment really small compared to the amount of servers, workstations for data processing and rendering being purchased.

I know my company buys/leases 100s of xenon workstations every 2-3 yrs. And this is automotive engineering, not even anything having to do with graphics, rendering or any of that shit.
if we bring the Enterprise market into scope, AMD has essentially nothing that competes with the Xenon offerings from Intel.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Even if AMD could compete - big companies like EMC, Netapp, Akamai, AWS, etc. all use Intel. How much effort would be required to move to AMD? I can tell you, it's massive.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
For anyone just peeking in....Do NOT buy AMD Zen now!

Unless you have a workload that is confirmed a solid upgrade (rendering etc), or fanboy $$ to piss away: Wait for months at least.
AM4 platform has some major bugs/teething issues:
  • AMD version of SMT buggered all to hell. For Many workloads AMD SMT has to be shut of, some cases it is lower than old AMD chips lol..... BAD bad AMD!
  • Memory timings & BIOS tweaking/tuning issues
  • More problems incoming! Wait for reviews/fixes before buying!!
Looks like AMD rushed the launch by months at least. AMD SMT is buggy for most general workloads like gaming! 2-6 months *might* help with stopgap OS tweaks with OS vendors optimizations. AMD probably helped vendors optimize for the workloads they win/compete in.
Some BIOS & Operating System scheduler fixes *possible*.... but I would not hold breath. Expect more permanent fixes to require a year+ to be baked into Zen+. This is where AMD being so small and cash strapped hurts. New arch is excellent but they need more people and time to optimize.

GamersNexus has an excellent comparison for gaming with AMD SMT vs Intel HT, well worth a read: AMD Ryzen R7 1800X Review: An i5 in Gaming, i7 in Production
(edit 1): Impact du SMT/HT - AMD Ryzen 7 1800X en test, le retour d'AMD ? - HardWare.fr

There is hope on the horizon sure but on Windows this one is going to hurt AMD since Gaming is #1. 100% competative in SOME non gaming workloads.... regressions in many others. Same growing pains Intel had with HyperThreading decade ago.

(edit 2): Seems that one of the main issues with gaming & SMT might be with pinning threads to the right physical cores since cache is shared between clusters of 4 cores (AMD compute complex).

Anyone thinking of upgrading should definately wait. Check benchmarks and make certain you are ok updating bios and os and tweaks.... or wait some months for dust to settle.

(edit 3) Def buy Intel for gaming FPS if can afford it :)

Last edited:

Jovec

?
I see it as a marketing problem. AMD keeps on marketing these workstation workhorses, which they do really well at, as gaming performers, which they are really shitty at. And I would peg gaming segment really small compared to the amount of servers, workstations for data processing and rendering being purchased.

I know my company buys/leases 100s of xenon workstations every 2-3 yrs. And this is automotive engineering, not even anything having to do with graphics, rendering or any of that shit.

Upfront cost is usually only a tiny portion of the overall TCO.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
is there a de facto "best" motherboard for the 7700K? thinking about going ahead with an upgrade since Ryzen is a bust.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Not sure about 'best" but I have built like 4 systems since my 2500K (which is still purring along @4.5Ghz), last one being last year for my 12 yr old, a 6600K with MSI board. I just stick to the $130ish boards from Asus, Asrock, Gigabyte, or MSI. None of those have ever really failed me. You can always go more expensive with more frills, blnking LEDs, Sexier heatsinks, crossfire support, etc. But my sweet spot has always been around the $130ish range.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So when do we expect to see Intel's response if anything? 2017 is the year I upgrade from my 2500k, but wasn't sure if I should wait, or just go with the 7700k?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So when do we expect to see Intel's response if anything? 2017 is the year I upgrade from my 2500k, but wasn't sure if I should wait, or just go with the 7700k?

Get it now.

Kaby lake just released so dont expect anything newish until like next year/end of this yer sometime. But 10nm is up next not sure if they will have one more 14nm gen and then go to 10nm, but thats up next..

Edit: Ok, just looked it up and there will be one more 14nm release, the coffee lake, and the featured i7 8000 will be a six core. But thats next year, not sure if you want to wait that long. IDK, it might be worth waiting though, although im sure that 6 core proc wont be cheap, but the way gaming is going they are finally utilizing more and more cores, soo, it might be worth the wait?

Last edited:

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
if I was Intel I would go ahead and raise the prices on all my chips to punish everybody who believed AMD could deliver.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
LOL

Although im sure they are going to be seeing a surge in sales now that all those waiting now know AMD is dud for gaming, still.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm such a cheap ass. On PC Partpicker, and I'm like naww, I don't need i7 , i5 probably fine. CPU Cooler? Just use my old one. Hard drives? I have hard drives, why do I need new? Lol...

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
7700k is still king, but to be fair AMD never said ryzen was kaby lake levels of performance, they always cited broadwell.

I think AMD will be fine. Especially since ryzen does extremely well in content creation and production workloads.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Naw, I would go with i7, maybe a few years ago that shit didnt matter, but now it does for sure with modern games.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah games are requiring more CPU horsepower now. The old adage that i5 was king isn't true anymore.

That said an i5 will be fine.. but for a few extra bucks?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm such a cheap ass. On PC Partpicker, and I'm like naww, I don't need i7 , i5 probably fine. CPU Cooler? Just use my old one. Hard drives? I have hard drives, why do I need new? Lol...
If they're mechanical be careful. After 5-7 years they can start to fail, I know mine did.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
If you are budget conscious Gaming wise it might be wise to wait 1/2 year to see how AMD platform matures & prices flesh out with their cheaper 6 cores. If you jump to i7 you're probably safe to buy after Intel adjust pricing (if at all) in the next month or so IMO.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Nahh. This kid of proves that Intel is still king for gaming and they probably always will. The per core performance is just better than AMD can muster. And that is like the core/heart of your system, something you dont scrimp on. I would buy better proc/mobo with a $200 RX480 over that shit proc and 1070 any day, then just upgrade the video card when more cash comes to hand. Video cards come and go, but procs can last 5+ yrs.