Desktop Computers

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
What games are you running max settings at 100 fps though? 1080?

Everything at max, 1200p on Dell 24". Only thing that hits lower is Witcher 3 maxed out without hair works hovering around an average of 80-90.

Even BF1 runs like a champ. usually around 100+ at max.

My 2500k is OC'd to 4.3ghz with CM Evo 212.

Problem is, I do not have sync monitor so I either have to turn on Vsync or see screen tears.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
1080 runs FFXIV 2160p @ 90-100 fps... on Directx 9. Sadly it only handles windowed mode up to 1440p so if i want 2160p windowed i have to use Directx 11 which is a 30 fps drop. /shrug

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
They usually have RPM and Db ratings on the web sites that sell them. Obviously you want the most RPM and least Db.

This is not really helpful. Is static pressure still a thing with radiators? Do I want static pressure type fans on just the push or both the push and pull?

Also I have the R5 case, with the h110i mounted at the front. Is just the one exhaust fan in the back fine? Or I should I put an exhaust on the top back too? What fan should I use for the case fan?

YxxanYxxan

Lord Nagafen Raider
Im getting a Dell u3417 3440x1440p screen next week. Pondering if I should upgrade my 980ti to either 1080 or 1080ti. Any suggestions? Running a 6600k @ 4,6Ghz.

W

Wrathcaster

I still rock my i2500k (AsROCK Gen 4 as well) 1070 GTX and no issues at all. Runs everything on max and 100 fps. What were you using your PC for @Wrathcaster ? I am guessing more than games.

I just started playing Battlegrounds, I play Arma 3 occasionally, and play a shitton of TW: Warhammer. AFAIK, most of the performance issues with Battlegrounds and Arma 3 stem from the CPU, not GPU, and I believe the same goes for large battles in the Total War series.

There's another element to the equation that pushed me to take the plunge and upgrade: 2 of the USB ports on my motherboard died and there's a nonworking SATA port as well. I'd planned to upgrade for a while, not sure what I'm going to do with the old i5 and ASRock. They still both perform but with random shit breaking down I figured it was about time.

Other than gaming, not a ton honestly. Basic statistics stuff in STATA for work, although I do some occasional streaming and a bit of editing in Vegas whenever the mood strikes me. I had the i5 OC'd to 4.3 as well. Never really could push it farther than that. Wasn't an overheating issue and I was too lazy to look farther into it.

As an aside, the K70 lux keyboard I bought went absolutely apeshit after two weeks of use, and guess which two ports it was using? Switching over to others didn't help afterwards, the bastard just died on me. No idea how the fuck that happened, it just goes berserk, flashes rapidly enough to give someone seizures, and all of the keys stopped working. Meh. RMA'd it and decided it was time. Was a neat keyboard until it, you know, imploded and (I suspect) fucked up my USB ports. The SATA port had been funky for a while.

I will say props to the i5 2500k and the ASRock Gen4. Performed like champs for almost 7 years. They will be missed. I'm still trying to decide what to do with them, they're still very functional (played about 4 hours of TW today) but I'm not too sure about how much I trust the motherboard after the keyboard debacle.

I ended up picking up a Corsair K75 cooler for the new i7, I believe I should have enough space for it. Fingers crossed.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I just started playing Battlegrounds, I play Arma 3 occasionally, and play a shitton of TW: Warhammer. AFAIK, most of the performance issues with Battlegrounds and Arma 3 stem from the CPU, not GPU, and I believe the same goes for large battles in the Total War series.

There's another element to the equation that pushed me to take the plunge and upgrade: 2 of the USB ports on my motherboard died and there's a nonworking SATA port as well. I'd planned to upgrade for a while, not sure what I'm going to do with the old i5 and ASRock. They still both perform but with random shit breaking down I figured it was about time.

Other than gaming, not a ton honestly. Basic statistics stuff in STATA for work, although I do some occasional streaming and a bit of editing in Vegas whenever the mood strikes me. I had the i5 OC'd to 4.3 as well. Never really could push it farther than that. Wasn't an overheating issue and I was too lazy to look farther into it.

As an aside, the K70 lux keyboard I bought went absolutely apeshit after two weeks of use, and guess which two ports it was using? Switching over to others didn't help afterwards, the bastard just died on me. No idea how the fuck that happened, it just goes berserk, flashes rapidly enough to give someone seizures, and all of the keys stopped working. Meh. RMA'd it and decided it was time. Was a neat keyboard until it, you know, imploded and (I suspect) fucked up my USB ports. The SATA port had been funky for a while.

I will say props to the i5 2500k and the ASRock Gen4. Performed like champs for almost 7 years. They will be missed. I'm still trying to decide what to do with them, they're still very functional (played about 4 hours of TW today) but I'm not too sure about how much I trust the motherboard after the keyboard debacle.

I ended up picking up a Corsair K75 cooler for the new i7, I believe I should have enough space for it. Fingers crossed.
That clearly was a popular board/proc combo back then because I have the same thing. Although I have nothing breaking down on me, and it's still going strong. I made the mistake of buying a 970 about a year ago right before the 1070s came out. So I'm gonna be rocking this build for a while until another game comes along that I'm having issues with. It was The Division that made me upgrade my video card, but EQ, Diablo, and WoW are not exactly gpu pushers.

W

Wrathcaster

That clearly was a popular board/proc combo back then because I have the same thing. Although I have nothing breaking down on me, and it's still going strong. I made the mistake of buying a 970 about a year ago right before the 1070s came out. So I'm gonna be rocking this build for a while until another game comes along that I'm having issues with. It was The Division that made me upgrade my video card, but EQ, Diablo, and WoW are not exactly gpu pushers.

Yeah, served me well for a long time. I stayed pretty up to date with more demanding games and it never left me feeling too much like I was suffering from the hardware on that front, though that could just be ignorance on my part. I'm hopeful that the new CPU will continue the trend, though I'm a bit more worried about the motherboard. Time will tell whether my decision to stick with my old Antec 900 was a mistake.

EDIT:

Oh, meant to ask, does anyone have any experience doing their own case mods? I've seen folks who have done some neat things with my particular case like lobbing off and replacing the top and messing with the motherboard side panel, but I'd have no idea where to start with something like that. Always wanted to get into that but have always been more than a bit frightened of supremely fucking it up.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Oh, meant to ask, does anyone have any experience doing their own case mods? I've seen folks who have done some neat things with my particular case like lobbing off and replacing the top and messing with the motherboard side panel, but I'd have no idea where to start with something like that. Always wanted to get into that but have always been more than a bit frightened of supremely fucking it up.
if you're going to be doing any type of case mods, it'll usually just be with a dremel or jigsaw. Of course take out everything, even the usb connectors, and once you're done, hose it down with a garden hose, yup. b/c when you mod cases, metal will be flying around everywhere and you want an errant metal shaving fucking up your shit a few months later cuz it was stuck somewhere.

some lazy ppl hit it with a blast of air and vacuum, but garden hose is best.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
500 dollars for a 30% improvement is pretty bad, but if you can sell your 980ti for 200+, it might be a good idea.

I'd just wait for the next series, though. Volta could be insane.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Thats not you its them. You can throw Hal on that motherfucker and he would stutter.I had 6 instances of EQ running on IS boxer last winter on a R9 380x no problem.