Desktop Computers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Yeah you'll want a 1080 for sure on that one for 1440p. I am at 1200p and run very well on my 1070, but 1440p I am sure I would need to upgrade my CPU at that point.

With that said, is Gsync really all that it is meant out to be? And is it worth taking the hit in color saturation with non IPS?

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I don't think I'll ever play on anything that isn't G-Sync (or other "X"-Sync types) again.

Some people say "WELL IF YOU HAVE 144hz IT DOESN'T MATTER, YOU WON'T NOTICE IT!" but fuck that... G-Sync/XYZ-Sync all the way.

Honestly I don't see a huge difference between my IPS monitors and the TN-Panel ASUS G-Sync I have but then again, I'm never sitting at an angle where it makes a big difference since my G-Sync is my center monitor.

(in before the woodwork crawlers come after me)

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Adaptive sync is most noticable between 40-75 fps, and beyond that, not really needed.

IPS is overrated.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
What do you all think of this one?

Amazon.com: Dell Gaming S2716DG 27.0" Screen LED-Lit Monitor with G-SYNC: Computers & Accessories

Also, any issues in using Gsync in Window borderless mode? I heard you have to be in full screen mode only. I run a second monitor I like to use at times. Especially when Jeydax kills me while driving in PUBG and I will surf the net until the next game.

It would be replacing one of my 24" Dell IPS displays.
I have that monitor. I like it. I keep it at 120hz though, there's just something a little weird about the image in desktop apps at 144hz.

Gsync works fine in borderless window mode, if you set it up that way in nvidia control panel.

A few things will fuck with it. Skype and Discord are two big ones, they will try to convince gsync to lock the framerate at 24 FPS, so you have to turn off hardware acceleration on those apps.

From tests online, Borderless windowed mode does cause Gsync to add more input latency than it normally would.

• 1Like

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Ok awesome thanks. I use Discord a lot so I will have to make sure to turn off hardware Acc. They have these in stock at $499 at Best Buy so I am thinking I will just go pick one up and get some more points too.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Sweet Christ this display pops better color than my IPS.

Gsync set up - 144 hz... About ready to try it out but I am seeing the difference alone just moving the mouse lol

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
mmmmm anything else? dont think im gonna get lucky and find one of those for <200$

Im not even looking to play MMos or anything super graphic intense, just want a cheap card to run like over watch/path of exile and stream shit to my PC

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's the same thing as when I first experienced 60fps. When I installed my 144hz monitor I couldn't believe how smooth the mouse was

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Doesn't make any sense, since the early benchmarks show single core performance of the 7900k vs the 7700k at almost 50% higher.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is it still worth it to build your own rigs now? I've done that for the past 12 years or so, not any kind of expert mind you. Just found the "best" parts and put them together in a case.

I kinda would rather just buy something now. Used for gaming mostly, and work... but I primarily use the laptop for work.