Desktop Computers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
Looking for a new desk for my desktop{s}.
Want something like this Amazon.com: Arozzi Arena Gaming Desk - Red: Home & Kitchen

Anyone know of anything similar before I spend $400. Pretty much just wide enough to fit multiple keyboards and monitors. No shelves for monitors (unless it gives enough room for my keyboards and mice) and no shelves for keyboards that slide in and out. Pretty much just a flat desk just like this one.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Looking for a new desk for my desktop{s}.
Want something like this Amazon.com: Arozzi Arena Gaming Desk - Red: Home & Kitchen

Anyone know of anything similar before I spend $400. Pretty much just wide enough to fit multiple keyboards and monitors. No shelves for monitors (unless it gives enough room for my keyboards and mice) and no shelves for keyboards that slide in and out. Pretty much just a flat desk just like this one.

If you're near Ikea they have basically the same desk for 150.00 but it's not red and black.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
You could literally build that out of 2x4s and 1 sheet of 3/4 oak plywood from home cheapo. But for the cost, I would go the ikea way, lol. You need some basic jointery skills or else the thing is gonna sway like a mo-fo.

nazon

Molten Core Raider
I built my own desk out of an Ikea Hammarp birch kitchen counter top (98 inch) and two Alex drawer units. I gave the counter top a light sanding with 220 sanding sponge then finished it with danish oil.

FYI the Karlby countertop is walnut over particle board so if you want solid wood, go for the Hammarp. It comes in oak or birch.

Here are pics and links from my project:
JostlingJoe - Completed Builds - PCPartPicker

https://cdn.pcpartpicker.com/static...083.2e1b1595ef23cc0ffb366bc8e63b5ab7.1600.jpg

ALEX Drawer unit - white - IKEA
HAMMARP Countertop - 98x1 1/8

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
I used ikea for a bed frame and drawers and the wood ripped after lile 6 months so was going to try and avoid them for a. Desk as id imagine it swaying

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
I built my own desk out of an Ikea Hammarp birch kitchen counter top (98 inch) and two Alex drawer units. I gave the counter top a light sanding with 220 sanding sponge then finished it with danish oil.

FYI the Karlby countertop is walnut over particle board so if you want solid wood, go for the Hammarp. It comes in oak or birch.

https://cdn.pcpartpicker.com/static...083.10f83afb5e45a5a8e5fc9f2534523e4d.1600.jpg

https://cdn.pcpartpicker.com/static...083.10f83afb5e45a5a8e5fc9f2534523e4d.1600.jpg

That actually looks really nice and what im looking for. Il probably just do something along those lines

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
You could literally build that out of 2x4s and 1 sheet of 3/4 oak plywood from home cheapo. But for the cost, I would go the ikea way, lol. You need some basic jointery skills or else the thing is gonna sway like a mo-fo.

I used to buy solid core plain doors (no doorknob hole drilled) for cheap and then make legs. Paint with good quality paint and it's a cheap table in any length you want that cleans off easily. I'd buy 2 and make a L out of them and cut one down to make them the same legnth in the L.

Hekotat

I've had my Ikea desk for almost a decade and it's amazing. Very sturdy, lots of real estate and the edges/corners are perfectly designed. I'll try to get a picture later today.

I went and looked at prices and it seems they have some really pricey desks now.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Ok still on the fence of going forward with an upgrade, especiallynow that I upgraded to a 144hz 27" Display (Gsync) running at 1440p. (Second display is still my Dell 1200p IPS 24")

Current set up: 2500k OC'd to 4.0ghz (Sometimes it crashes so I adjust it down to 3.8ghz) 8 Gb 1600 Ram, 1070 GTX. SSD 512 gb with a 3 Tb Mechanical drive. 1070 GTX FTW 8Gb.

Upgrade Path: i7-7700k, 16 Gb DDR4-3000, new case, saving all the rest of the components for use.

So main questions are:

1) Would I notice a nice performance boost? Most games played Today: Battlegrounds, Some FPS games, Rocket League, strategy games, Fallout, Skyrim, Witcher 3, etc.

2) I upgraded to Windows 10 when it was a free upgrade from Windows 7 Pro. If I move forward with it I would wipe everything on my SSD and reload the OS. How would I go about doing a fresh install of Windows 10? Or would I have to install Windows 7 Pro again and do another upgrade? Or would I be better off purchasing a copy of Windows 10?

3) Any other advice you may have :)

This will be the last time I ask this question ever again :p I am seeing so much information out there and so many conflicting reports.

Hekotat

Wait for that threadripper pricing bruh.

You should be able to create a w10 install disc with your current computer using the w10 tool (I forget the name of it). Then you just install with a USB drive.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Wait for that threadripper pricing bruh.

You should be able to create a w10 install disc with your current computer using the w10 tool (I forget the name of it). Then you just install with a USB drive.

Well, I heard Ryzen was a dud. Threadripper supposed to be any different?