Desktop Computers

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
You’re kidding, right? Most sata 3 ssds max out about ~550mbps read/500mbps write. A regular NVME drive (just average not even the best) is getting 1500-1800mbps read with 1000-1200 writes. I’d say that is pretty significant. You can definitely tell the difference in responsiveness of system with one vs without.

I get that aspect, I'm just saying, google "Difference between SSD and NVME" or "SSD vs NVME for gaming" etc. Every single article or video I find is going, ok, here are our tests. Boot time - 7 seconds for each = no winner, Loading up Battlefield 3 - 29 seconds for each = no winner, Loading up Witcher 3 - 17 seconds for each = no winner, Opening 2gb file in Xprogram - 31 seconds for NVME, 55 seconds for SSD = Winner NVME

I haven't been able to find an example of it being recommended for a gaming PC outside of this board.

I don't know shit about them, which is why I asked in the first place. I remember when I was reading about 144hz monitors vs 60hz monitors and there was a ton of talk about how it made no difference, the human eye can't see a difference, etc etc. Then I saw one and went "That's god damn beautiful, what the fuck are you idiots saying?" So for all I know, this is the exact same situation.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I get that aspect, I'm just saying, google "Difference between SSD and NVME" or "SSD vs NVME for gaming" etc. Every single article or video I find is going, ok, here are our tests. Boot time - 7 seconds for each = no winner, Loading up Battlefield 3 - 29 seconds for each = no winner, Loading up Witcher 3 - 17 seconds for each = no winner, Opening 2gb file in Xprogram - 31 seconds for NVME, 55 seconds for SSD = Winner NVME

I haven't been able to find an example of it being recommended for a gaming PC outside of this board.

I don't know shit about them, which is why I asked in the first place. I remember when I was reading about 144hz monitors vs 60hz monitors and there was a ton of talk about how it made no difference, the human eye can't see a difference, etc etc. Then I saw one and went "That's god damn beautiful, what the fuck are you idiots saying?" So for all I know, this is the exact same situation.

Load times have to be faster as the drive is faster by a pretty significant amount. Boot times may be negligible, but load times are not. It doesn’t make gaming better unless you play a game that loads a lot (EQ zoning etc). CPU and GPU you will have far more impact there. But outside of that, the NVME SSD is the biggest QOL thing you can get for a computer. In the end, it’s your money. Spend it how you like.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
As I pointed out, that 960 Pro (top end NVME) is 7x the speed of a SATA SSD. That is a PC bottleneck that are you going to get 7x performance difference for a relatively small investment difference. I just don't see the point in scrooge mcducking a hundred bucks to use an ancient SATA3 interface for your primary system disk.

• 1Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
For gaming i don't think the NVMe drive will give you any real noticable improvement. Maybe if you put GTAV on it and loaded a save.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
No one is going to sell a used 1070 or even 1060 for 100 dollars with mining fever going around.

A 970, yeah, probably around 120, which would be a lot better than a 1050.

Last edited:

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Welp, for the record, the 144hz Gsync 27" I purchased rocks so much I cannot even play my console games now in comparison. I made a full move over to the PC version of Rocket League due to how smooth it runs without any stutter compared to PS4.

I wish they made a 65" Gsync 144hz Display which I could build a PC on and just have two PC's. One for my new "console" and another for desktop/chair gaming.

The difference is frickin ridiculous and now it sucks because I cannot go back.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Welp, for the record, the 144hz Gsync 27" I purchased rocks so much I cannot even play my console games now in comparison. I made a full move over to the PC version of Rocket League due to how smooth it runs without any stutter compared to PS4.

I wish they made a 65" Gsync 144hz Display which I could build a PC on and just have two PC's. One for my new "console" and another for desktop/chair gaming.

Same thing happened to me man. I had a shitty PC for a long time then built one... now when I play PS4 it's like what the fuck am i doing with my life

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

A bunch of CURRENT YEAR TVs can finally do 120 hz @ 1080p without artifacts.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah but dont you have to have a source pushing that TV 60+FPS? Im betting PS4 or xboner cant do that. At least for most modern games which still run at 30fps. I guess you could hook your PC to it.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah but dont you have to have a source pushing that TV 60+FPS? Im betting PS4 or xboner cant do that. At least for most modern games which still run at 30fps. I guess you could hook your PC to it.
Ut was saying he could build a second PC to use in a console role.

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Similar for me... I've got a new 4k LG OLED TV, and now everything else in my life looks like shit. :(

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
If you are ever down mentally or think you are not "up to par" read the question and answer section on amazon for computer products. It will make you feel a LOT better about yourself.

"Where can I get the software to make this item work?", A: the internet.

"does this item come with a cord?" A:no that,s extra. Wireless item.

"does this item work with XYZ?" A: only if you plug it in.

"does this item work on a Mac?" A: do you own a mac?

"can the LED's for this be turned off" A: you may have to shut power off to your house, but probably

"what is key soandso for?" A: I have no idea I returned mine.

"Is this item worth it" A: only if you need one

"does this work off usb?" A only if you plug it into a usb port

"How do you turn the lighst off on the mouse?" A: Put out a mouse trap, lights out!

Self help tips for the day, cheaper than a trip to a psychiatrist. New quest now is to find a q&a that is actually relevant.

Amazon wants to tout AI they should work on an AI that weeds out the true troll answers and the totally clueless answers.

Best one.

"I tend to rage a lot and punch keyboards, I went thru 3 this year should I get this?" A: No, you should get therapy.

Last edited:
  • 1Like