Desktop Computers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
God fucking dammit I was coming to this thread hoping for some good news, but nope. Buttfucked. Really don't want to have to buy a pre-built to get a 1080ti at a non-rape price but I'm starting to get impatient. The only real upside is I want to build a second tower with old hardware and load it up for hard drives as a server anyway, but unless I can find the exact box I want for $2k or maybe a little over I'll just hold out til Volta and be that asshole F5'ing for in stock. Basically I want a 8700K CPU, 1080ti video card, 32 GB RAM, and a 750+W PSU from a good company. Motherboard I'm pretty flexible on, there's so many good manufacturers out there but I've had great luck with Asrock and Asus in recent years. Don't want or need hard drives which is the biggest issue I'm having with pre-builts, can't seem to find any that don't force one on you.
Fuck AS Rock. I thought they were great, until Windows 10 came out, and the BIOS update nearly bricked my mobo. I got lucky and didn't get all the way through the update, but for many, they were required to order a new chip from AS Rock and sodder it on themselves.

In the end they said they couldn't be expected to update the Win 10 BIOS drivers for every motherboard they ever produced.... Was pretty salty over it, so won't go with them anymore.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I grabbed the Dell 27” today - the vast majority of the reviews were good, especially for gaming.
I love mine. Ut is very happy with his and that dude isn't happy with anything ever.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I grabbed the Dell 27” today - the vast majority of the reviews were good, especially for gaming. Having two monitors will be nice anyway.

I got this monitor on the recommendation of Mist and others in the thread and I love it. It definitely has some color banding issues but only if you are watching videos with a lot of large black areas in them. For gaming it is amazing.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Fuck AS Rock. I thought they were great, until Windows 10 came out, and the BIOS update nearly bricked my mobo. I got lucky and didn't get all the way through the update, but for many, they were required to order a new chip from AS Rock and sodder it on themselves.

In the end they said they couldn't be expected to update the Win 10 BIOS drivers for every motherboard they ever produced.... Was pretty salty over it, so won't go with them anymore.
I worked with ASRock on a few projects when I was writing uefi and they were fucking degenerate dumbasses. Their Mobo support was laughable and I'd never purchase anything by them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I thought ASRock was supposed to be the good ASUS engineers back when they started and broke away.

Got a 1080 back from my 980 ti RMA.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Maybe when they first started, but Asus is head and shoulders above asrock. The engineers there do really weird shit in the code

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
God fucking dammit I was coming to this thread hoping for some good news, but nope. Buttfucked. Really don't want to have to buy a pre-built to get a 1080ti at a non-rape price but I'm starting to get impatient. The only real upside is I want to build a second tower with old hardware and load it up for hard drives as a server anyway, but unless I can find the exact box I want for $2k or maybe a little over I'll just hold out til Volta and be that asshole F5'ing for in stock. Basically I want a 8700K CPU, 1080ti video card, 32 GB RAM, and a 750+W PSU from a good company. Motherboard I'm pretty flexible on, there's so many good manufacturers out there but I've had great luck with Asrock and Asus in recent years. Don't want or need hard drives which is the biggest issue I'm having with pre-builts, can't seem to find any that don't force one on you.

Some of these are still alive

EVGA Product List - Featured Bundles

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I thought ASRock was supposed to be the good ASUS engineers back when they started and broke away.

Got a 1080 back from my 980 ti RMA.

Did you do the cross-ship thing where they take a 650$ deposit? If so how long did it take them to refund that shit.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Cross ship wasn't an option that I was aware of. I FedEx'd it on a Monday, they got it Thursday, sent the replacement out Friday and I got it Tuesday.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Ah yea they sent me the replacement card first for a 650$ deposit cause I can't be without a computer at home for work reasons etc.

I just got an email today though that the deposit refund is coming this week, so all good now.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Monitor arrived today, desktop arrives Monday. I have a 1 TB 850 EVO I’ll wipe and put in it, but it also has the m2 slot - anyone have the Samsung 960 or another m2 SSD they can comment on? Also wondering if I need a new DisplayPort cable.

Hard to believe it’s been seven years since I’ve upgraded.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Monitor arrived today, desktop arrives Monday. I have a 1 TB 850 EVO I’ll wipe and put in it, but it also has the m2 slot - anyone have the Samsung 960 or another m2 SSD they can comment on? Also wondering if I need a new DisplayPort cable.

Yeah it really seems like PCs can last awhile these days if you time the upgrade just right.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

In my rebuild a few months ago I used a 250 GB m.2 960 EVO as my boot drive and now the the old 500 GB 850 EVO just has games on it. No complaints with the 960 and it's nice having the OS on it's own drive that I can nuke when necessary without losing anything.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

Ordered a Corsair RMX850 and this thing is packaged so nice I wonder how their flagship power supplies show up.

Hekotat

Any overclocking gurus in here? I haven't done any since the early 2000's and I'm having issues determining if I'm adjusting the correct voltages.

Rocking a Haswell and basically trying to adjust these values but one of them I'm uncertain if it's correct due to the naming convention AND when I change it to close to the voltage other people show to be using it turns red. I don't want to blow anything up.

3. Set Fixed CPU Vcore to 1.25 -1.30v
4. Set CPU Cache Voltage also could be called Ring Bus voltage to 1.20v -1.25vv
5. Set Vrin also called "CPU Input Voltage" To 1.9v - 2.1v

I can't seem to find the damn CPU input voltage. I have highlighted what I believe to be the first two in corresponding order, can someone point me to the Vrin/CPU Input Voltage?

mXohkGQ.jpg

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Use one of the presets imo. Most of them that come included with modern motherboards are already designed for specific CPUs and are basically plug and play or whatever you'd call it.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So got a call from my step dad today while at work. He says he got a new laptop, all good whatever. Then he says he loaded Office on it and it wouldn't get verified or whatever. So im like did you input code...Yep, so I dont fucking know what could be wrong....did you accept the popup to verify online? .......Uhh I dont think so I was scared... Its like WTF?

Hekotat

Use one of the presets imo. Most of them that come included with modern motherboards are already designed for specific CPUs and are basically plug and play or whatever you'd call it.

The presets only go up to 4.0ghz, alot of these guys are getting almost 5ghz out of this chip. I'm just trying to get 4.4ghz out of it to tide me over until the next gen CPUs.