Desktop Computers

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
So, I am in the market for a new pre-built computer. I have an Acer Predator that I bought in January 2014 (Intel i7-4770, 3.4ghz, 12gb ddr3, GTX 660, 120gb SSD). It has been a great 4-year run, but it has started to act up in the last month. Applications are taking a minute to load when it use to be instantaneous. I will be in a game running normally then my screen will freeze for 10-15 seconds randomly, then pop back in or crash. My internal wifi card stopped working for a week, then started working again randomly. It feels like some of the hardware is starting to fail. I don't want to go through all the components individually trying to trouble shoot it.

I will look to spend around $1250 - $1500. Any recommendations on where I should be shopping?

Best buy occasionally has really good prices on new computers. Last year i needed a new computer for my house and the boss wanted me to pick out one for his house and the office. I assumed i as going to be building these but i soon realized i could find a pre-built machines at a far cheaper price.

Looks like the price has gone up slightly as i got mine on sale for $849 but i still think this is about the best PC would can buy for under 1k or so. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-i...hard-drive-recon-blue/5948598.p?skuId=5948598

For your price range this looks really good as it has a 1070, optane and i7 8700 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienw...ne-memory-epic-silver/6155310.p?skuId=6155310 It's on sale for 1150 right now and that looks really cheap. Damn, now i wish i bought on of these..

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
5E616C26-99B7-46B1-9779-DFF8383D3EFE.jpeg

Color scheme to be determined later.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Just finished a new build yesterday...kind of.

Let me first say fuck ASUS X99 boards...never in my life have I had so many problems getting an initial boot going. The D slots for RAM just flat out "noped" on me and the board is hyper sensitive to CPU Heatsink pressure which can lead to the entire board just "nope"-ing out on you.

Easily one of the most frustrating builds I've done in a long time.
yea, i've had more troubles w/ asus than cheap ass shit boards, i just stick w/ gigabyte

• 1Solidarity

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Best buy occasionally has really good prices on new computers. Last year i needed a new computer for my house and the boss wanted me to pick out one for his house and the office. I assumed i as going to be building these but i soon realized i could find a pre-built machines at a far cheaper price.

Looks like the price has gone up slightly as i got mine on sale for $849 but i still think this is about the best PC would can buy for under 1k or so. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-i...hard-drive-recon-blue/5948598.p?skuId=5948598

For your price range this looks really good as it has a 1070, optane and i7 8700 https://www.bestbuy.com/site/alienw...ne-memory-epic-silver/6155310.p?skuId=6155310 It's on sale for 1150 right now and that looks really cheap. Damn, now i wish i bought on of these..
bb seems to have the best "mass storage" so far

8tb external drive for 160ish on sale a few times a year. of course if you want, pry it open as an internal sata drive.

Eonan

Doer of Things
yea, i've had more troubles w/ asus than cheap ass shit boards, i just stick w/ gigabyte
At this point I'm condsidering just trashing the board and buying another one. Thinking back I have had nothing but problems with ASUS hardware in the past (to include a 970 that decided to just shit the bed after a year of use), they make great monitors but god damn their internals are just god awful.

Fadaar

That guy
Thanks third party seller who is apparently fucking retarded. Glad it was only 3 case fans and not something important, only parts I haven't received yet. Got everything up and running and this bitch is faaaaast.

wat.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
So, I am in the market for a new pre-built computer. I have an Acer Predator that I bought in January 2014 (Intel i7-4770, 3.4ghz, 12gb ddr3, GTX 660, 120gb SSD). It has been a great 4-year run, but it has started to act up in the last month. Applications are taking a minute to load when it use to be instantaneous. I will be in a game running normally then my screen will freeze for 10-15 seconds randomly, then pop back in or crash. My internal wifi card stopped working for a week, then started working again randomly. It feels like some of the hardware is starting to fail. I don't want to go through all the components individually trying to trouble shoot it.

I will look to spend around $1250 - $1500. Any recommendations on where I should be shopping?

One on slickdeals today

Alienware Aurora Desktop: i7-8700, 16GB DDR4, 1TB HDD, GTX 1070 $1150 + Free Store Pickup

• 1Like

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
144hz in fps is a must after you try it. It's sort of like the jump from 30->60

I finished setting up the new desktop with the Dell 27" @ 144hz with GSync - damn, you weren't kidding.

• 1Like

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Thanks. I missed date the tags of original rumours in the translation noise and noscript filters. So never mind, gotta wait longer for upgrades. I was planning to build a new midrange gaming system this spring but am stuck waiting for prices to go down. At least things look competative on CPU and APU side.

So business as usual for at least another quarter then: NVIDIA can continue to milk its advantage and AMD gets to sell its extra production run of "mining" cards.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
So what is the current opinion on intel vs amd?
I looked around a bit and on the low price sector I see the G4560 mentioned a lot and it's getting praise left and right. I just bought a GTX1050Ti 4GB and am thinking I might also upgrade MoBo/CPU/RAM if I can grab a halfway decent deal.
My current rig is partially from 2008 (case, psu) and 2015 (cpu/gpu/mobo/ram). Running a 240gb ssd and a bunch of old HDDs for storage (a rather new 2TB among them too).

So currently I have this:
4GB GeIL DIMM DDR3-1600, CL11-11-11-28 (two, so 8GB)
AMD FX-4300 CPU, Boxed, Socket AM3+ ( 1)
ASRock 980DE3/U3S3, AM3+, ATX ( 1)
KFA² GeForce GT 730 EX OC Slim, 1GB GDDR5, VGA, DVI, HDMI ( 1) (replaced by my new 1050Ti 4GB)

As you see I usually buy budget items that are past their prime already. I try to be reasonable about my gaming habit.
If I were to upgrade now, I'd get:
intel G4560
some mainboard with the 110 chipset i have no clue really what to pick (probably ASRock H110M-DVS - 3.0)
some 8GB ram 2400 speed. a single stick i guess, so i can upgrade to 16GB later (not likely)
all of that for roughly 185 eurobucks on amazon. the last pc parts seller i bought at went bankrupt shortly after and the next really big one would be about €10 more expensive than amazon.

sooo what mainboard would be the best option? I have a dvd drive as well so I'll need at least 4x SATA leaning towards six. every "cheap" (sub €100) board I see seems to be µATX these days, hardly worth being called a board.

Ah fuck.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
While I love that AMD is finally showing up and competition is a great thing to light fires under asses and lower prices, I still would not do AMD for gaming. But if I was into photo editing, or some other shit like that I would do AMD in a heart beat.

Value system...

• Intel Core i3-8100
  • Z370 motherboard
  • 8 GB DDR4-2400 RAM
  • GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
  • 250 GB S-ATA SSD
Penny pincher

• Dell Outlet Inspiron 3000-series with a 6th generation Intel Core i3 or i5 CPU, 8 GB of RAM, 1 TB hard drive
  • GeForce GTX 1050

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I looked around a bit and on the low price sector I see the G4560 mentioned a lot and it's getting praise left and right. I just bought a GTX1050Ti 4GB and am thinking I might also upgrade MoBo/CPU/RAM if I can grab a halfway decent deal.
My current rig is partially from 2008 (case, psu) and 2015 (cpu/gpu/mobo/ram). Running a 240gb ssd and a bunch of old HDDs for storage (a rather new 2TB among them too).

KFA² GeForce GT 730 EX OC Slim, 1GB GDDR5, VGA, DVI, HDMI ( 1) (replaced by my new 1050Ti 4GB)

As you see I usually buy budget items that are past their prime already. I try to be reasonable about my gaming habit.
intel G4560
some mainboard with the 110 chipset i have no clue really what to pick (probably ASRock H110M-DVS - 3.0)
some 8GB ram 2400 speed. a single stick i guess, so i can upgrade to 16GB later (not likely)
all of that for roughly 185 eurobucks on amazon. the last pc parts seller i bought at went bankrupt shortly after and the next really big one would be about €10 more expensive than amazon.

sooo what mainboard would be the best option? I have a dvd drive as well so I'll need at least 4x SATA leaning towards six. every "cheap" (sub €100) board I see seems to be µATX these days, hardly worth being called a board.

Ah fuck.
as a thought to get you through a hump

AMD FX 8-Core Black Edition FX-8300

is only 100bucks new, who knows what you can get on ebay

you can probably ebay a used for less

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

intel G4560

Ah fuck.
Id wait a month. New AMD cpus are gonna be released begining of April which should be 10-15% faster than current Ryzen cpus.

Ronaan

Molten Core Raider
I see. Well I'm in no hurry, and not in a position where every penny counts, so I'll wait a bit and see what comes around. Still I'll be keeping it somewhat cheap as I'm not playing "new" games and only 1080p.

So the G4560 and a fitting mainboard and ram would run me roughly €190 via amazon.

I just played around a bit and €300 gets me a 7th gen i5 + mainboard + ram so maybe that is the smarter option. Another 100€ won't hurt in the long run.

At any rate I'm not buying used. I'm not poor, I'm just cheap :-D

Holding out for now, thanks for your input.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
1080p Intel stomps AMD out.

1440+ it's so close that it doesn't really matter.