Desktop Computers

Jovec

?
I have a computer I built back in 2008. Just wondering what your guys' thoughts are in where the bottle neck would be:

Mobo: EVGA X58 SLI LEhttp://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16813188074
CPU: Intel Core i7 920http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...16819115202CVF
RAM: Corsair Dominator DHX+ 1600MHZ 6 1 gig sticks CM3X1G1600C8D Can't find a link for it.
Video Card: Nvidia GTX 670 Just upgraded from a nvidia gtx 285 a couple months ago.http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX39375
Power: Antec 850 watt cant fina a link.
HD: Western Digital 300gig 10k rpm + a tera byte 7200 rpm storage drive

also got a scyth kabuto cpu cooler on the cpu.
What res? Honestly it's still pretty solid if you are OC'ing that CPU. RAM and SSD are what I would upgrade next. If you are heavily into a few games that are really CPU limited (most blizzard games) you might consider a CPU upgrade.

It really comes down to your budget and expectations.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Get a SSD as your boot drive and go up to 12 gigs of DDR3 1600 RAM and call it good. Those are the only 2 upgrades I would consider that would give a noticeable performance boost. Your 670 is obviously still great, and an i7 920 is still perfectly servicable CPU, especially if you overclock it. Maybe buy a $30 after-market cooler like the EVO 212(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103099) and bump that processor up from 2.66 ghz to maybe 3.4 or 3.5, should be easily reachable with a halfway decent cooler. Heck, I'd bump it up to 3.0 or 3.2 on stock cooling and you'd be fine.

heyholetsgo_sl

shitlord
What res? Honestly it's still pretty solid if you are OC'ing that CPU. RAM and SSD are what I would upgrade next. If you are heavily into a few games that are really CPU limited (most blizzard games) you might consider a CPU upgrade.

It really comes down to your budget and expectations.
Thanks. Haven't really delved into the OC'ing world with my cpu yet. Might give that a try.

I got a 22" monitor. 1680x1050 res.

I think im need of new ram and a ssd.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
For anyone interested, here is the year-end CPU roundup from Tomshardware:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ison,3370.html

3DMark(gaming estimation) specifically:
res_syn_3dmark_combined.png

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Comfort is the reason I love it so much.
Guess I'll have to go check one out. Thanks Wolfen!

Very cool. The next machine I build is going to be either MicroATX or Mini ITX. What kind of case are you putting that in?

So everything has arrived now and I'm picking up my processor next weekend when I'm closer to Micro Center.This motherfuckeris huge, glad I decided to go with aslightly wider case. Hopefully I'm not sitting on any DOA items. Will post some pictures in the new year.
That one I linked has a cool ass thin LED light that runs from the bottom of the board about halfway up. You can't even see it on the PCB when it's not on, not to mention the non DOS based BIOS and all the cool little features like resetting the bios from the rear ports etc. I'll post some night pics when I get home tomorrow night.

As for the case I'm using I took my old Chieftec Dragon that I purchased back in 99 and had a friend do a wicked custom paint job on it, the paint is polished so well it's like looking into a mirror. I also included a pic of my setup so far, I'm not finished yet, but the cable management is turning out pretty well, I just need to find someone with a sheet metal break for the back of the case and I need to solder and hide all the fan cables in the case as well as figure out something for my cell phone charger routing.

How the case looked before
rrr_img_5181.jpg

Dat reflection
rrr_img_5182.jpg

Color Scheme (Black/Red/White and all the fans are Red LED as well as the IKEA Red backvlighting behind the monitor)
rrr_img_5183.jpg

The entire setup so far
rrr_img_5184.jpg

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
I am building a new PC. I'm using a 3970X processor, but looking for a great motherboard for it - any recommendations? I've generally only had ASUS in the past, but am open to anything.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Thanks. Haven't really delved into the OC'ing world with my cpu yet. Might give that a try.

I got a 22" monitor. 1680x1050 res.

I think im need of new ram and a ssd.
SSD might be the biggest upgrade you ever buy for your computer. We have pretty different setups, but similar problems. My build is a page or two back.. i7-920, 6gb of RAM, already have an SSD and have an older video card and run 2 montiors at 1900x1080/1200.

Picked up 12gb of RAM and an one version of the Hyper212 linked above... will put them in when I get over the idea of pulling my motherboard out to install the backplate. Probably look to get a nicer graphics card in the next month or two. A 670 on Slickdeals tonight for $280 after rebate.

Flank_sl

shitlord
For anyone interested, here is the year-end CPU roundup from Tomshardware:
I have a 3570k and am happy with it. Runs cool at 3.9 ghz with the standard intel heatsink. Most people I know who built new systems this year also went for the 3570k, and I have not heard any complaints.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah the 3570k is definitely the best balance of price/performance right now. Can't beat a sub-$200 processor that can easily be bumped up by about 500mhz on stock cooling and a good 1ghz more with a fairly cheap after-market cooler.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Kind of at a good to have decision, and I could use some advice.

For Christmas I received a $300 gift card for Microcenter.

My Rig to date:

i2500k @ 4.5 Ghz
8 Gb Ram
GTX 570 EVGA Superclocked card
Nice sound system for headphones and speakers

Basically everything runs very well even on max settings. Which leaves me to a decision.

A while back I had asked about Video cards. I could now either upgrade the GTX 570 to a GTX 680, or, I could grab a 512 Gb SSD drive and load a ton of games on it and increase my load times. Currently, my OS is on a 60 Gb Crucial M4 SSD Drive and is lightning fast.

As of right now I am trying to make the decision. Joeboo what would you do?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
My opinion on video card upgrades always comes back to what resolution you are gaming at? If you are at 1920x1080 or below, Id probably stick with the 570 for a bit longer. Very few games currently are going to use more than 1gig of video ram at 1080p resolution and below. The further over 1080p that you go, the more a 670(I'm assuming you meant 670 and not 680, as 670s can be had for close to $300, 680s are like $450+) is going to be a difference. At a resolution like 2560x1440 a 670+ is going to run circles around a 570, but at lower resolutions the gap isn't nearly as drastic. At 1080p you might see a 15-20% performance gain in going up to a 670, while at 1440p it might be 100% gain or more.

It's a tough call on the best use of that $300, as your PC is still pretty solid overall. I'd maybe think about sitting on it for a month or two and see what prices do in 2013. SSDs just keep dropping further and further. 2nd quarter 2013 should see the release of the next generation of video cards, AMDs 8000 series cards should start hitting the market in Spring, and thats bound to drive down the price of everything else. You might see the price of video cards in general drop significantly in a few months in anticipation of a new generation. Basically, I have a suspician that unless the $300 is burning a hole in your pocket, if you wait a couple months you might be able to get BOTH a 670 and a 256gig SSD or something. I love my 180GB Intel SSD thats in my new computer, and while having your OS on a SSD is a game-changing experience, having a game on one isn't nearly as big of a deal. How often do most modern games stop to load anymore? Something like Skyrim or Far Cry 3 really only stops to load when you fast travel, otherwise the world loads seamlessly as you play and move and the SSD doesn't really enhance that any. It isn't going to give you better framerates. Yeah, you save a few seconds when you first start the game, but your playing experience really isn't enhanced much.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Thanks joeboo. Yeah still running a max res of 1920X1200. So not that far off from the 1080p mark. Everything seems to run very well, even Far Cry 3 is below my 1.2 Gb Vram mark.

Maybe I should grab a good joystick for Planetside 2 and save the rest until next year as you recommend.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
You really can't go wrong with an SSD, it'll always be damn useful, I just have a feeling they are going to keep dropping pretty drastically in price like they have been for the last 6 months. I'd hate to see you spend $320 or so on a 512GB drive if it ends up being $100 less than that in 2-3 months. It's just crazy how far the prices on them have plummeted, and I'm not sure if they are done doing so yet.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
You really can't go wrong with an SSD, it'll always be damn useful, I just have a feeling they are going to keep dropping pretty drastically in price like they have been for the last 6 months. I'd hate to see you spend $320 or so on a 512GB drive if it ends up being $100 less than that in 2-3 months. It's just crazy how far the prices on them have plummeted, and I'm not sure if they are done doing so yet.
Yeah I have been watching my 60 Gb which is now the same price as most 128 Gb and that has been in the last 6 months. I have a 1 Tb Drive that is pretty well filled now. About 100 Gb remaining. Maybe I should take a peak at upgrading my storage drive.

Come to think of it, I can do that relatively cheaply and then clone my existing 1 TB drive which is quite old. I would most likely go with a 2-4 Tb Drive. Any recommendations on that front? I am finding myself uninstalling games lately and replacing them with fewer and fewer options as they get larger. (UEFI Bios and Win 7 Pro 64 bit)

Wolfen_sl

shitlord
SSD's absolutely are the best upgrade you can perform. I had an older Dell laptop laying around that ran like shit. It has a Core2 duo and 4 gigs of ram. I installed an SSD and fresh Win8 and now it flies like never before.

Jovec

?
Yeah the 3570k is definitely the best balance of price/performance right now. Can't beat a sub-$200 processor that can easily be bumped up by about 500mhz on stock cooling and a good 1ghz more with a fairly cheap after-market cooler.
Those better Ivy OCs often have had the shitty TIM Intel used between die and IHS replaced (or simply delidded). Sandy doesn't have this issue.

A while back I had asked about Video cards. I could now either upgrade the GTX 570 to a GTX 680, or, I could grab a 512 Gb SSD drive and load a ton of games on it and increase my load times. Currently, my OS is on a 60 Gb Crucial M4 SSD Drive and is lightning fast.

As of right now I am trying to make the decision. Joeboo what would you do?
If you add a new SSD you can put that 60gb to work as a SRT cache if your mobo supports it (z68/z78), or just use something like Steam Mover (which just automates junctions) and run your current favorite games off of the 60GB.

SSD prices are dropping, but much of that is due to 20/22nm NAND, so the prices will stabilize a bit in 2013.

I'd recommend keeping the 570 too, but one thing to keep in mind is resale. You'll get more for the 570 now then when the 8000 or 700 series are out.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
is it important to turn off search indexing and disk restore imaging with a SSD? I had read that elsewhere, was curious.