Desktop Computers

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
What kind of heat are you getting on that RAM when overclocking it? I'd be a bit wary upping the default voltage when that RAM doesn't have any heatsinks on it at all, its just bare circuitboards & chips.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Well, I have no idea what to look for in a PSU. Any suggestions on that and a case would be much appreciated!

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Was talking to a friend the other day about the build I put together the end of last year and he asked me about video editing machines. Since mine was built mostly for gaming I really have no idea which components translate well for editing vs. gaming. i7s are better than i5s? Or AMD is better than Intel? Larger 2 TB+ drives for storage and forgo SSDs? Etc... Not really looking to build this and support it for him, but if we could piece something together on ibuypower or another site that'd be a start.

Orcus_sl

shitlord
What kind of heat are you getting on that RAM when overclocking it? I'd be a bit wary upping the default voltage when that RAM doesn't have any heatsinks on it at all, its just bare circuitboards & chips.
Probably less heat than standard 1.5v ram, since this is a 30 nm fabrication, more efficient and cooler. Also probably cooler because it doesn't have heat spreaders. I'm not convinced most of the spreaders these companies use do anything at all for thermals and are mostly to make it look pretty. I would even bet that some of those spreaders cause the ram to run hotter since the chips themselves aren't getting any direct airflow. Shrug. Never had a problem with heat output from ram. Just don't overvolt it (> 1.5v) and no problemo.

One more edit: You can totally run faster timings on this ram while keeping the voltage at 1.35v if you want. I'm not sure why Samsung uses such conservative timings. Marketing no doubt. This stuff can keep up with and outperform most, if not all, of the more expensive, 1337 heat spreader covered ram from enthusiast companies. A lot of that ram is samsung under the spreader anyway (hynix, samsung and micron are the three main chip fabricators if I remember right).

Silence_sl

shitlord
Heat spreaders on DDR_x ram are for looks only. They are left over from the days of RAMBUS ram where the active module got hot and needed to spread the thermal load to the other IC's.

Jovec

?
Does anyone here run SRT? Is it good/worth it? My mobo supports it and I have a spare SSD but no idea if its worth the extra hassle.
I use it. I have a SSD boot/app drive, with a HDD storage that I cache with a 20GB SLC drive. It is noticeable, but not pure SSD speed (even with writes cached). I also run a couple games (WoW/D3) off of my main SSD, so my HDD/cache sub-system is mostly used for random Steam games. With the falling prices of SSDs the need to cache lessens. I wouldn't build a system if the cache drive was the only SSD is use, but if you have an extra/old drive go for it.

The hassle is that you need to set the Intel controller to RAID mode in the BIOS to enable caching, which will cause issues with existing OS installs. If you don't plan to reinstall your OS, I'd research it heavily before making the switch on an existing system.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Was talking to a friend the other day about the build I put together the end of last year and he asked me about video editing machines. Since mine was built mostly for gaming I really have no idea which components translate well for editing vs. gaming. i7s are better than i5s? Or AMD is better than Intel? Larger 2 TB+ drives for storage and forgo SSDs? Etc... Not really looking to build this and support it for him, but if we could piece something together on ibuypower or another site that'd be a start.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...n,3370-15.html

i7s are going to be your best bet if you want to game AND have great video editing performance. High-end AMD FX processors start to come back into the picture for video/audio editing, as being arguably better than i5, but generally not better than newer i7s. Check out the Handbrake and Totalcode benchmarks in the link above. The AMDs perform well because of their higher default clock speeds, a 3.9ghz AMD FX 8170 basically performs the same as an i5 3570K at 3.4 ghz. Clock that 3570K up to 3.9 ghz as well and I bet it pulls ahead slightly.

And honestly, if I was doing a lot of video editing work pretty often, I'd probably get a nice 180 or 240GB SSD to use for nothing but that. SSDs are going to be great for that purpose over conventional hard drive, I'd maybe just store all the TBs of finished video on old-school hard drives, but use SSDs for all the active work/editing.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
As far as using the old ram + new, it should be fine as long as it is all the same voltage. Also with the new ram being ddr3 1600, if your old Ram is slower 1333 or something, it'll ALL run at 1333. I'd make sure the old ram is 1600 as well before re-using it with the newer ram. 12GB of 1600 will see better performance in general than 18GB of 1333.
Well, nice to upgrade RAM anyways, but noticed when I took out the 6gb that they were also 1600, heh. Oh well, now I have 12. 18 if I ever get around to dropping the other 6 back in.

Replaced:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231225
with:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o01_s00_i00

There any reason to wait on the ~$350-ish video card market for the next big thing? Considering targeting aGTX 670for a little more than that as early as a week or two from now if not. Might try and get it before a LAN party at the end of the month.

Also, wow the hyper212 is big compared to everything else in the case. When I turned the computer back on I expected it to just say '42'

ham

Lord Nagafen Raider
two questions -

1. someone recommended me a baller ass case on the other forums, it was huge, expensive and awesome. anyone know what I'm referring to? it seemed quite popular.
2. are any barebones setups or complete desktops out there worth a damn without being a big loss of value? my inboard sound is going out, my video card is is from 2006. I'm still playing and streaming everything fine, but I feel like a new build is in order.

I did upgrade the cpu and mobo a few years ago though, so it's not a total dinosaur

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
two questions -

1. someone recommended me a baller ass case on the other forums, it was huge, expensive and awesome. anyone know what I'm referring to? it seemed quite popular.
2. are any barebones setups or complete desktops out there worth a damn without being a big loss of value? my inboard sound is going out, my video card is is from 2006. I'm still playing and streaming everything fine, but I feel like a new build is in order.

I did upgrade the cpu and mobo a few years ago though, so it's not a total dinosaur
Honestly, you could easily get a few more years use out of that setup with a new video card, and you could easily slap in a sound card to make up for the on-board sound crapping out. My only concern would be if the onboard sound is crapping out, there's a good chance something else that isn't as easily replacable might go next. You're good on RAM, and the CPU is alright, you'd get good gaming performance with a better video card. I don't know that I'd spend a ton on a video card, I might not bother going with a 670 or 680 because they will be bottlenecked a little bit by your CPU, but a mid-range card like a 660Ti or 7950(both can be had for well under $300) would still serve you well with your CPU for the next couple years if you don't want to mess with a new build right now.

So basically, you could probably invest $300 in that setup(vid card + sound card) and make it another 2-ish years just fine, or do a whole new build for the long haul(3-5 years)

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
There any reason to wait on the ~$350-ish video card market for the next big thing? Considering targeting aGTX 670for a little more than that as early as a week or two from now if not. Might try and get it before a LAN party at the end of the month.

Also, wow the hyper212 is big compared to everything else in the case. When I turned the computer back on I expected it to just say '42'
I can't remember what your current video card is, but if it's still performing decently for you, it might not hurt to wait a couple months. The new AMD 8000-series cards should be announced/releasing this Spring, so I'd expect 7000 series cards, and possibly even Nvidias 600-series cards to start to drop in price as a result. Unless your current card is a total POS, then I wouldn't wait much longer when you could be using it now with huge improvements.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
I've got a 5870, so not a huge need. More of an itch, and would let me pass it down to a 2nd computer I'm taking to a LAN at the end of the month that currently has something along the lines of a GTX 260 in it.

I only bought this AMD because it was just before Fermi and ATI was doing really well at the time, would like to stick to Nvidia with my next card if I can help it.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Anyone have any interest in a couple 460 1gb (not matching, one EVGA and one Gigabyte) or a 4870x2? Any suggestions on what to do with them? Not really worth anything, anymore.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I might be interested in buying a 460 off of ya(assuming you'd sell them seperately, rather than as a pair), I want to give my old computer to my nephews but its missing a vid card since I re-used my newish 660Ti in my new machine. I have no idea what shipping costs are like from Canada to the US to even know if it would be worth bothering with or not though. I know the US Postal Service has flat-rate boxes that the card would probably fit in that they charge like $11-$15ish for, but no clue what the pricing would be like originating from Canada with whatever services are available to you where you are at.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
two questions -

I don't know what was recommended, but I've got an Antec 1200 that is an absolute monster, and awesome. I got it on sale for less than what the 900 sells for normally (although that goes on sale too).

http://store.antec.com/Product/enclo...5-15120-7.aspx

rrr_img_7201.jpg

rrr_img_7201.jpg

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Are there any good cases out there that have both side panels removable? Being able to remove the side panel where the mobo is makes it so much easier to work on. I found one on Newegg (can't find it atm) that seemed okay, but the front usb ports where at the bottom of the case instead of the top. That is a bit of a deal breaker for me.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I might be interested in buying a 460 off of ya(assuming you'd sell them seperately, rather than as a pair), I want to give my old computer to my nephews but its missing a vid card since I re-used my newish 660Ti in my new machine. I have no idea what shipping costs are like from Canada to the US to even know if it would be worth bothering with or not though. I know the US Postal Service has flat-rate boxes that the card would probably fit in that they charge like $11-$15ish for, but no clue what the pricing would be like originating from Canada with whatever services are available to you where you are at.
Look in to the shipping and get back to me. Free to good home if they will see use. They'd be shipping from Edmonton, Alberta.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Are there any good cases out there that have both side panels removable? Being able to remove the side panel where the mobo is makes it so much easier to work on. I found one on Newegg (can't find it atm) that seemed okay, but the front usb ports where at the bottom of the case instead of the top. That is a bit of a deal breaker for me.
The Antec 300 has removable side panels on both sides and the front USB ports are at the top. A great case, and cheap too.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16811129042

Not sure about the others in that same line from Antec, but it's possible that they have both removable panels as well.

meStevo

<Silver Donator>
I have 2 Antec 300s at home, very nice case. Only ever removed one side though.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Big nice cases are the Corsair Obsidian series. Check out the550dthe650dor the800d(you really don't need this one unless you're water cooling some dual cpu tri sli monster).

Not a fan of the Antec gaming cases because of the mesh usage that will not protect your shit from dust and sucky noise isolation. If you like Antec, I'd go with the Performance series like theP280orP183.