Desktop Computers

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Not sure how long I want to wait for the new bits as my current rig is crashing when trying to play basically anything (fucker started shitting the bed while playing EQ as well after a week) and I’m going crazy having nothing that I can play. Mostly aiming for something budget right now that I can always upgrade later when I actually have more cash. If this stuff is coming out in June I can hold ‘til then, but if we’re talking July or August that’s a bit longer than I’m willing to wait right now. Will definitely hit up those reddit keys though and will swap out that RAM.

Fucker

Log Wizard
The 8 and 12 core Ryzen 3000's are going to be in hot demand for a while. Ryzen 2600 is $144 now which is a good buy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I think they are the same socket from what I hear, so you could always upgrade to 3000 series later. I would just get a better mo-bo so you can flash it later and work with the 3000 series. So dont scrimp on the mo bo and get a better one.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I don't know... I had the same idea when I bought a nVidia GTX 970 a month before the 1070 was releasing. I bought into the hype and was like aww naw, it'll be months before I can get one. Then the 10 series was like a mega huge upgrade over the 9 series, the cards weren't in short supply for very long and I regretted it big time.

Processors are different, but buying something right before a new series release is kinda silly IMO. Wait. If your computer blows up, upgrade with what's out, otherwise limp it along and wait.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Or buy an evga video card within 90 days of a new card release and get full retail no matter when it's in stock

• 1Like

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Hey guys, I'm about to buy a PC after just using my laptop for years. I'm only trying to spend about 500-600, and I'd prefer to not build it myself. I never installed a processor before and have always been nervous about messing it up. That said, I can obviously install vid cards, ram, etc.. those are easy, and I can follow a tutorial if its really gonna save me a huge chunk of money.

I'm WAY out of the game in terms of processors and such, so I spent a day doing some research. Are these AMD ryzens really as good at graphics as it sounds? I find that kind of crazy if integrated graphics have really come that far. I'm not trying to play any super new games on max settings. I hardly play anything other then mtg arena, league, etc.. on my laptop, but thats partially because it doesn't meet the min specs for even something like fortnite. So, I want something I can at least play some newer stuff on, at maybe medium settings.

I was looking at something like this but I dont like that the RAM is 2400mhz (heard the ryzens want faster RAM), and I'm confused on how they let you upgrade the video when its integrated with the processor? i.e. Radeon RX 560 vs 580.
Would I be better off upgrading the processor to the 2400g with the default 8gb RAM, or keeping the default 2200g but going up to 16gb? I also wanna add a 1TB storage drive for some video editing, so that eats up some of the possible performance upgrades to stay under 600. Or, should I just get the default cpu/ram combo and upgrade the ram later on?

I saw you guys say there is newer stuff coming out soon, but I can't wait for that. It's partially a birthday present that needs to happen somewhat soon. In fact, i may be placing the order as early as tomorrow.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
No I think the radeon 560 and 580 are standalone video cards, not integrated. I think the sweet spot for ryzens is the 2600, six core(ryzen 2200 and 2400 is only 4 core). But im a bit out of the loop on the ryzen stuff. RAM I woud seriously not even worry about TBH. As long as you get 16gig THAT WORKS, you should be fine. Its something in the really high end with realy high end video cards trying to push the high end 1440p resolutions at 144mhz and eeking out the most amount of frames type of thing where the speed of the RAM really you want to maximize. But for you with 1080p and mid range video card you will not notice difference, maybe 3-5fps.

The Ryzen "G" come with on board graphics and its the "VEGA" on board GPU, but im afraid, that just like the Intel on board graphics, it might be good enough to watch movies and shit, but shit for any typoe of gaming. So def get a video card.

I would be more concerned with shit like the PSU they are putting in there, so lets say you buy one with the 560 or whatever and cant upgrade later because the PSU does not supply enough power for a better video card down the line.

Last edited:

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
The Ryzen "G" come with on board graphics and its the "VEGA" on board GPU, but im afraid, that just like the Intel on board graphics, it might be good enough to watch movies and shit, but shit for any typoe of gaming. So def get a video card.

I use a 2400G. I can say 100% for sure it can do 1080p gaming on medium settings at 40+ fps. It can do 1440p at lowest settings in the 30 to 45 fps range (depending on game, some games like DOOM w/ Vulcan run better than others). AMD's APUs are definitely much better than Intel's iGPUs.

Here is DOOM on a 2400G:
I think a 2200G or 2400G would be a good way of building an AMD system that can bide time while the 3000 series and Navi are released. Then, it would be immediately upgradeable.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
I was looking at something like this but I dont like that the RAM is 2400mhz (heard the ryzens want faster RAM), and I'm confused on how they let you upgrade the video when its integrated with the processor? i.e. Radeon RX 560 vs 580.
Would I be better off upgrading the processor to the 2400g with the default 8gb RAM, or keeping the default 2200g but going up to 16gb? I also wanna add a 1TB storage drive for some video editing, so that eats up some of the possible performance upgrades to stay under 600. Or, should I just get the default cpu/ram combo and upgrade the ram later on?

I saw you guys say there is newer stuff coming out soon, but I can't wait for that. It's partially a birthday present that needs to happen somewhat soon. In fact, i may be placing the order as early as tomorrow.

Hard call on this pre-built. The price isn't bad, but it's got some parts that are head-scratchers (120GB HD?) or might present compatibility issues in the future.

I would call CLX and ask for their best price on that box with with:

* just the 2200G

* B450 or X470 mobo (the default is an ASRock A320, and I am not sure that will be compatible with Ryzen 3000s)
* you will probably want 16GB of 3200 RAM, too (it's better ram, more of it, and an APU can allocated up to 4GB of it for graphics)

The mobo change will probably force a more expensive case =/ But it would give you a better platform for upgrading as you need to.

It looks like the ASRock A320 will be compatible with Ryzen 3000s. That's good!

Last edited:

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
I stand corrected then, but his already comes with Radeon 560 standard, (upgradeable)

The 2200G/2400G is this weird thing, like a glimpse of the future.

When you stop to consider what it's doing in one 1.5" x 1.5" package with an air cooler and 65W, it's seriously impressive. But since it can't do 1080p on high, it tends to get overshadowed.

I think the 3400G will be able to do 1080p on high or mostly high. It still won't be enough to steal the show from 1080p machines.

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
4 core and 4 thread IMO is just not enough these days, used to be but not anymore. My kids 7600K is struggling in some games, and that thing is only a few years old. I would not risk the 4 core/4 thread proc anymore for games. Go 2600 and get the extra 2 cores.

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
What games is he struggling on? doesn't make sense

Namely Div2. Might be the game but for some reason its 100% utilization that we cannot fix. But you can see his others are starting to struggle as well, the newer ones especially. Hes got a 1070 too.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Anyway, I would not get a 4 core anymore they are becoming obsolete is all I was saying. More and more games are starting to utilize more cores.

The div2 thing is def a game related issue. Still not fixed either lol. I bought that game in early access for him to for $99 and he still cant play it.

Oh and I made a mistake, hes got the gen before 7600K, I think its 6600K, the other kid has the 7600K.

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Hard call on this pre-built. The price isn't bad, but it's got some parts that are head-scratchers (120GB HD?) or might present compatibility issues in the future.
Well, they gotta save money somewhere. Considering it comes with win10, the price is hard to beat even if i built the machine myself. Assuming I paid anything close to retail for win10.

My laptop has had a 120gb ssd and ive managed to get by with it as the primary drive. It's certainly annoying, i have to delete games if i ever get into a new one, but thats why im adding a 1tb storage drive as well.
Also, glad to hear the default mobo is compaitable with future ryzens.
So, if I just get the defaults on everything, 2200g, radeon 560, 8gb ram, 500w psu, etc.. I'll still be able to run most newer games on 1080p at least at medium to high settings?
If that's the case, maybe ill upgrade the psu to give me breathing room to replace the cpu/gpu down the line.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Well, they gotta save money somewhere. Considering it comes with win10, the price is hard to beat even if i built the machine myself. Assuming I paid anything close to retail for win10.

My laptop has had a 120gb ssd and ive managed to get by with it as the primary drive. It's certainly annoying, i have to delete games if i ever get into a new one, but thats why im adding a 1tb storage drive as well.
Also, glad to hear the default mobo is compaitable with future ryzens.
So, if I just get the defaults on everything, 2200g, radeon 560, 8gb ram, 500w psu, etc.. I'll still be able to run most newer games on 1080p at least at medium to high settings?
If that's the case, maybe ill upgrade the psu to give me breathing room to replace the cpu/gpu down the line.

Yeah I would think it can do medium to high at 1080p.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I use the 2400g at work, it was fun to try but you're competing with a 1030 mind you

Enzee

Trakanon Raider
Well, thanks for the advice everyone. Just placed the order, along with a monitor, which a few sites listed as a great value monitor. Wanted it to have hdmi and a relatively low refresh rate.
For under 700, (about 680 altogether) I think I'm pretty happy with it. I'll probably upgrade the 8gb of 2400mhz RAM to 16gb of some faster stuff within a few months, but we'll see how its handling what I try playing on it.

• 1Like