Desktop Computers

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Replaced the PSU because I was also getting occassional 'nvidia display driver recovery' errors, and those are almost always PSU issues.

Seems to be running good now.

Best combined CPU and GPU stress test, that's also free?

I mean, I'm considering just running P95 and Heaven benchmark at the same time, but that might be a little overkill. It IS a 6 year old PC.

There aren't really any good combined stress tests. I usually do p95 with FurMark. This is torture testing though, not stress testing. It's beyond what a system would see under usual full load.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Well it seems pretty solid but if it does anything fucky again going forward, the motherboard/CPU/ram are being taken out back and shot and replaced with a 9600k and a 150 dollar motherboard and 80 dollar ram, and then I'll buy a Ryzen 2 if they turn out to be as good as the rumors.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Well it seems pretty solid but if it does anything fucky again going forward, the motherboard/CPU/ram are being taken out back and shot and replaced with a 9600k and a 150 dollar motherboard and 80 dollar ram, and then I'll buy a Ryzen 2 if they turn out to be as good as the rumors.

I think so, but yesterday's shareholder's conference confirmed Q3 release for everything, Ryzen2, Navi, Servers...so the thought is July 7 or thereabout for Ryzen 2 debut. No more early June =/ even though the boards are coming out shortly.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

Im pretty happy with my 9600K. all I do is game, surf, and watch shit so its perfect proc for those thasks dont need anything more. Just did the basic Mo-Bo overclock button which pushed it to 4.8ghz.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I think so, but yesterday's shareholder's conference confirmed Q3 release for everything, Ryzen2, Navi, Servers...so the thought is July 7 or thereabout for Ryzen 2 debut. No more early June =/ even though the boards are coming out shortly.
The problem is, there are two scenarios:

Ryzen2 is as awesome as people are predicting, and the shortages will be massive.

Or

It's not that awesome, and you might as well buy Intel.

Argarth

On the verandah
The problem is, there are two scenarios:

Ryzen2 is as awesome as people are predicting, and the shortages will be massive.

Or

It's not that awesome, and you might as well buy Intel.

OR...

Unless you are buying a 9900K and paying to power, cool, and over-clock it to 5GHz all cores, there is no reason at all to buy Intel anymore.

edit: Scratch that, there IS no reason to buy Intel.

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Based on them literally unloading their current stock of Ryzens, one would be lead to believe that Ryzen 2 is really that much bettter and once it releases they will have a hard time selling them. For instance the 1600 is going for $80. which would be great to run a home server.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
IMO its looking like at the very least AMD will achieve parity with Intel in single threaded performance.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Just finished updating AM4 bioses here & fully ready for 12/16 core goodness. The only disappointment at the moment is looking to be shitty Intel competition which is letting AMD apparently push back Threadripper 3 release. Big bummer as I was hoping to get TRs for a couple of workstation upgrades this year.

Going to be hard to get these suckers when they release. Hopefully by 2021/22 AMD can tap Samsung to manufacture some of their CPUs or GPUs in volume. Zen 2 is shaping up to be a home run for AMD, across all workloads including single thread parity for gaming. All signs point at a slaughter of Intel this year. Early engineering samples for Ryzen 3000 are much better on TSMC s 7nm process than AMD were getting with original Zens on Global Foundries 14nm. Perhaps close to 5ghz XFR boost is poissible.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Now if AMD could make decent video cards.

The problem is driver support AMD's drivers have never been that great, it's like they want too gimp there video cards all the time. But Navi and there RTX stuff is looking pretty good, next gen consoles are gonna have some pretty fun toys too play around with.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The problem is driver support AMD's drivers have never been that great, it's like they want too gimp there video cards all the time. But Navi and there RTX stuff is looking pretty good, next gen consoles are gonna have some pretty fun toys too play around with.
No, their problem is performance per watt.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, why the fuck would you care about wattage? What are you, trying to save the world one PC at a time?

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users