Desktop Computers

dizzie

Triggered Happy
The 1tb storage drive I have now is a wd black. It's lasted a good 5+ years? Maybe getting close to 10. So I agree! I have a 2tb Samsung drive thats lasted nearly as long that I've been impressed with as well.

you really notice the difference in build quality when you compare a black drive vs a blue if you have them side by side.

The blacks are built like tanks compared to blues, I think it's as they started as enterprise drives years ago so they kept that build quality ongoing.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Always been an intel goon, those of you running Zen 2 3000 series, how's the stability ? performance ? compatibility with software/games ?
No complaints with my 3700x, I highly recommend it. My mobo doesn't play nice with my memory, have to run it at 3533 instead of 3600.

For storage? Yeah, big waste.

My system has 2 ssd, 256gb each, about $80/ea. I for windows and other shit, the other is strictly for the game of the month im playing. Then I have 2 3TB 7200rpm for storage. Easy to move games back and forth from SSD to storage and vice verse with steam or blizz app, whatever.
Ssd prices have significantly dropped the past few years. You can get good 1tb nvme drives for what you paid for those two.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Black Friday deals are likely to be for the older SSD models as companies offload their backstock. Wouldn't expect NVMe ones to be too much lower if you're doing a new build

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This black Friday I'm hoping for ram and storage upgrade. Wanna get my Ryzen first edition to st least experience that sweet ram sweet spot at 3200 speeds. And then for storage, I wanna upgrade my media storage drive from 2tb.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
The build I'm shopping for is looking to be around $1500. Hoping Black Friday deals can reduce that considerably. Unfortunately not sure how flexible I want to be in my build and the exact pieces I'm looking for might not even be on sale.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Best bang for your buck on GPUs right now? Building a Ryzen 3700X. Currently doing the research but holy shit is there a lot of info to absorb.

Last edited:

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Best bang for your buck on GPUs right now? Building a Ryzen 3700X. Currently doing the research but holy shit is there a lot of info to absorb.

5700xt seems like what I’ve been seeing. For mostly 60fps 1440p gameplay. The 2070 Super is next but it is $100 more for a couple % points improvement depending on your game.

Only way I can sum up my findings in three sentences

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Ssd prices have significantly dropped the past few years. You can get good 1tb nvme drives for what you paid for those two.

Yes I know this, but I had the same SSD for my OS for since the last build (120gb). works perfect so why replace it? I just added one for Destiny 2, which tends to suffer from some load time issues, I think I payed Like $65 for a 256gb like a year or so ago? Plenty of room for a couple of current games. Then I have 2 other 2TB mechanical storage drives ive had for a while too since last build.

So at least for me I have no need for a new one. At least not until one of them fails or some shit.

Also on the question of the 3700x? I built my kid one just this summer when he was itching for an upgrade and to spend his xmas cash. Shit works perfect. In fact just last night I asked him how his shit was doing and he said it runs perfect, not one crash yet.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

Interesting 34" widescreen, not sure about the company tho.
  • 3440 x 1440
  • 144 Hz
  • AMD's FreeSync
  • 1500R curvature
Price - ¥2,500 (~ $312) seems pretty good if it reviews well.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
5700xt seems like what I’ve been seeing. For mostly 60fps 1440p gameplay. The 2070 Super is next but it is $100 more for a couple % points improvement depending on your game.

Only way I can sum up my findings in three sentences
Should be perfect I am still in the 1080p world.

Fucker

Log Wizard

A lot of people are having hell with the drivers on that card. Look at the AMD sub on Reddit and search by drivers to see what I am saying.

I'd pony up the extra $80 for a 2070 Super just to avoid driver issues.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
A lot of people are having hell with the drivers on that card. Look at the AMD sub on Reddit and search by drivers to see what I am saying.

Yep definitely I would go with Nvidia 2070 over any AMD offering right now. Both my kids had the RX480s in their systems I built them and they both had graphical glitches in almost all the games they played, the AMD drivers are shit. I know its some time ago, but I would not trus them over something you know will fucking work flawless for an extra $100.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Damn I had no idea it was that bad. Maybe them fixing the processor driver stuff / issues got me confused with the state of their gfx card issues.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

Interesting 34" widescreen, not sure about the company tho.
  • 3440 x 1440
  • 144 Hz
  • AMD's FreeSync
  • 1500R curvature
Price - ¥2,500 (~ $312) seems pretty good if it reviews well.

Buy it fast man, and report in. Don't like it. Return it!

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

Heh. EXACTLY. I will stay with Nvidia until AMD gets their shit drivers straight. Worth the extra 70-100 bucks IMO for the 2070 super.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I've got a dell alienware 34" already so no real need for me but at that price figured someone here might give it a shot.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
What's the go to storage drives now, when not in a raid Nas situation? Wd blues? Are wd blacks still the best but still expensive?
i'd just go for WD anything tbh

30years of storage, aside my from $1 per megabyte Maxtor 500mb hard drive from 96, everything but WD has had some kind of failure or they were gonna die cuz SMART was saying it was going to.

i've taken apart (after erasing to destroy with a hammer) all my hitachi/seagate (i think there was probably a toshiba in there somewhere) drives. i used to just keep and carry all my hard drives with me but they get heavy after a few failures start piling up, so take apart and destroy. i was being "chic" for a while and using the platters as coasters, but they're really worthless and after a kid had a drink slide off one, i went and destroyed em again. I keep the magnet on the drives tho, super strong rare earth mag.

*edit, fucking samsung made drives too? have one in my "pile to smash"

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
I wouldn't recommend a $500 card for 1080p. You can get a non xt for 350 and maybe even flash it closer to xt performance, or just a get a 1660 TI. Drivers are mostly fixed for 5700s now, bulk of the problems when you search for drivers on reddit are from the first few weeks , some are people that didn't even bother to reboot after installing.

• 1Like

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>

5700 non-XT will be fine, then. I get 144hz in FFXIV on max settings with it. And I have had issues with maybe one AMD driver in my past successive 5ish years of ownership from a 7870XT to a R9 390 to the current 5700. AMD's drivers have been pretty solid for a while now, although they still have some overhead penalty in DX11 vs Nvidia.

Also, while the reference blower fan model is on the struggle bus with the 5700 XT, it works just fine with the 5700.