Desktop Computers

Argarth

On the verandah
Really? I might just drop the RAM to a lower cost then.

Professional tidbit. I work in data aggregation and Nvidia is one of my clients. It's nice to run all of that Reddit, Amazon, Jingdong, Newegg, etc. data through AI models and see the outputs. 2080 Ti are not worth the cost. 2070 Super is the way to go. Even the people who work there tell me so. And the data on the entirety of "the Internet" jives with that.
Oh yeah, the 2080Ti pricing is obscene, no argument there. Agree on the 2070 Super too. I'm not even in the market for a graphics card, just thought that a 2080 or 2080 super might have been in reach with the savings. No such luck, hence my remark about the value for money aspect, or lack thereof.

Argarth

On the verandah
What does that even mean? Either you have a use case for it or not. If you plan to play at 4k going with anything other than a 2080ti is a waste of money.

Well sure, but nobody in their right mind is considering a 2070 Super for 4K in the first place... hopefully!

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Money isn't really a concern. I just don't see the value add. 4k looks great, but is it worth over a grand more when you consider the cost of the display and the graphics card? I'm not so sure.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
In gaming at least, 4K is still unobtanium at decent frame rates with current gen video cards. IMO youre chasing that dragon at that point. Chasing that diminishing returns for mega bucks.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
So is there still nothing to replace my 1080ti with (other than 2080ti?). What the fuck is going on with the video card market atm? Was hoping to get back and get a new card before the holidays, but looking like nothing really to replace this with yet

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So is there still nothing to replace my 1080ti with (other than 2080ti?). What the fuck is going on with the video card market atm? Was hoping to get back and get a new card before the holidays, but looking like nothing really to replace this with yet
Picked up a used 1080 Ti earlier this year and has worked out really well for me. My processor and ram are my bottlenecks now and will be next upgrades.

I don't know what happened in the R&D side of things for nVidia but they've certainly seemed to take steps backwards instead of forwards in terms of card strength, but I expect our cards to last at minimum until next gen. For me I don't plan an upgrade for at least another couple years.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Just a generation that they focused on “tech” instead of raw power. Emphasis on Ray Tracing, the AI stuff, etc... I want a new card but would imagine next year being a bigger straight performance increase. Plus another opportunity to rape your wallet with shady business practices.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Nvidia is very focused on AI right now. They're competing hardcore for being the hardware of choice for self-driving, smart homes, NASA contracts, mass sentiment analysis across multiple languages. Just more money to be made in that in the B2B space.

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
There's also that AMD hasn't been competitive on the high end. No reason to Nvidia to compete against themselves. We'll see how big of a bonfire Intel lights under their asses.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Got that 1000w PS in, so was able to swap it out with my 750w PS. That let me re-build my old desktop. Have 2 now:
  • Ryzen 7 1700, 16gb RAM, 1080 Ti, 1000w PS
  • i5-2500k, 16gb RAM, GTX 970, 750w PS
Feels good to have both up and running now. Next upgrade will be new RAM in my current system to get the speeds 3200 or higher.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
blep.png

A friend sent me this board and I finally got it running, but the cost was high.

I've been waiting on the weather to cool down as I only have a crappy window AC and computers are hot. Cold arrived so I started working on it again.

I had already made an attempt or two at getting it to boot with no luck. I got it out into a room with actual lights where I could see and saw that I had plugged a pcie 8 pin into one of the board's cpu 8 pins. The power supply only had one 8 pin for cpus so I decided to swap it out for my main gaming machine's power supply.

Both are modular 750 golds. One is a thermaltake, one evga. The 2 8pins of the evga did the trick and I could see it fire up. Strangely though it wouldn't even try to boot if any drives were plugged in.

I stopped there though and went back to my main machine to get it going again. Since both were modular all I had to do was plop in the new power supply and plug in the old power wires.

I don't know exactly what happened at this point but I suspect the two companies wire their modular plugs differently. Plugging a evga sata wire into a thermaltake supply resulted in the machine trying to boot but switching off after about a half second. Eventually it hit me that the modular power has to be the culprit, but by then I had cooked 3 drives.

Lost a big slow storage HD, a 1TB ssd, and a 250 ssd. The 500 ssd with all my code on it somehow survived.

derp

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Any decent custom built PC sites out there? Looked at Origin and Falcon Northwest; Origin seems decent for price (same thing on Falcon Northwest was like $800 more, but with a 3yr vs 1yr warranty). No idea overall quality of parts/work though.

I need a new PC but I don't know if I want to bother building my own again when I could do two overtime shifts to pay for a custom built one...

Also need to get per prior recommendations from here. Hoping some shit goes on sale black friday/cyber monday.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>
How important is the name on the box for you and do you care about rgb? You can just straight up go to like pcpower or whatever, get a 2070super 9900k blah blah for a great price. The other places will be quite a bit more for absolutely nothing pretty much. Just really depends on if 500 or so dollars is important to you.

Super quick and easy without looking at anything else

Last edited:
  • 1Like

gak

<Gold Donor>
Always been an intel goon, those of you running Zen 2 3000 series, how's the stability ? performance ? compatibility with software/games ?
Thanks !

a.gif

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
Always been an intel goon, those of you running Zen 2 3000 series, how's the stability ? performance ? compatibility with software/games ?
Thanks !

View attachment 227298

Been using since release. Tried 3700X, 3800X, and currently running 3900X with RTX 2080. All are stable and perform well. Early instability was mainly due to unready BIOSes and disappointed overclockers (these processors simply don't run all-core at max boost). BIOS refinements are still incoming, but the worst is over.

More cores really shine with rendering and transcoding, but even a 3600 is completely fine for gaming. 3800X has been marked down to nearly 3700X pricing (at Microcenter, anyway).

I haven't heard of any game compatibility issues after they fixed whatever was affecting Destiny 2.

Driver issues are more likely to come up with the AMD 5700 GPUs, but the 5700XT is basically the best bang for the buck at ~$400--you need a 2080 to clearly outmatch it at 1440p.

• 1Like

Mr. K

Molten Core Raider
Any decent custom built PC sites out there? Looked at Origin and Falcon Northwest; Origin seems decent for price (same thing on Falcon Northwest was like $800 more, but with a 3yr vs 1yr warranty). No idea overall quality of parts/work though.

I need a new PC but I don't know if I want to bother building my own again when I could do two overtime shifts to pay for a custom built one...

Hard thing with prebuilt computers is Motherboard, RAM and Power Supply.

You typically know what you are getting with the CPU and Video Card.

If you can't identify the motherboard it's a no go to me. RAM could be less important if you are doing an Intel build.

• 1Like

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>

Linus did a really good, really thorough series of videos about $1500 pre-builts from the big timers, and some small makers.

• 1Like