Desktop Computers

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
All parts have been ordered with about half delivered so far. Stoked! Haven't had a fresh build in a very long time.

Why are you putting 64gb of RAM in a system while not even using an m.2 SSD?

Ryzen likes fast/good ram. I would swap out that 64GB for 32GB of PC3600 RAM with specific Ryzen support like the G.Skill Neo.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
All parts have been ordered with about half delivered so far. Stoked! Haven't had a fresh build in a very long time.

I initially got a noctura 12s prior to going AIO water cooled on my 3700x. I was not prepared for how fucking massive that thing is. It can also double as a torture device as the fins took some revenge on my fingers. Be careful when handling!

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I made the mistake of going down this rabbit hole on various forums and subreddits and I'm coming to the conclusion this it doesn't matter that much. While 3600 is a higher frequency, the timings are usually worse. So it ends up being about the same. I feel like sticking with what I bought is the easiest path forward.

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
How does it prefer faster ram?

The Infinity Fabric, which is the pipeline between cores on AMD chips runs at the same clock speed as your RAM clock leading to solid gains all the way to DDR4-3600. WIth Ryzen 3rd gen you can decouple the two clocks, but this can lead to latency and requires a good amount of additional tweaking to optimize it.

I made the mistake of going down this rabbit hole on various forums and subreddits and I'm coming to the conclusion this it doesn't matter that much. While 3600 is a higher frequency, the timings are usually worse. So it ends up being about the same. I feel like sticking with what I bought is the easiest path forward.

Speed+TImings leads to similar results with everything else being equal, but with AMD there is more at play.

• 1Mother of God

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
From what I've read 3rd gen Ryzen is less picky about RAM having to be B-Die, but it still prefers fast RAM.

this is true, bdie isn't necessary...think some people were getting great OC results with micron e-die, and I have had some good luck with hynix (though I currently run some kingston 4000 bdie).

Lurkingmoar

Molten Core Raider
I can attest, my 2700X runs my samsung e-die 32gb 3200mhz kit perfectly fine now when compared to my old Hynix kit that was rated for 3200hmz, but could only go to 2933mhz.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Question on...gaming/computer chairs?

Doesn't seem like something to start a new thread over.

I'm kind of...large. Like, 6'5" 270-280. I've always bought the cheap plastic gaming chairs for like $60 bucks. Faux leather, plastic arms. Eventually my fat ass just breaks the chairs. Especially where the plastic arms bolt to the seat...they tend to like to snap right there.

I looked around online at 'gaming' chairs and they mostly look fucking atrocious. Like something your teenage son would want. I stopped in an Office Depot today, and they have Big & Large chairs. Some were pretty comfortable, but they're all like $300+

The one I liked the most was tagged at $429.99. Very comfortable, but damn. that's some sticker shock for a chair. I was a bit ticked later when I looked on their website and it's listed as being on sale for $299.99, but that sure as shit wasn't listed in the store. Even at $300 I'm kind of meh. It was really comfortable...but still...

Anyone have any suggestions on better chairs, or is something like that worth the $300?

Argarth

On the verandah
The Infinity Fabric, which is the pipeline between cores on AMD chips runs at the same clock speed as your RAM clock leading to solid gains all the way to DDR4-3600. WIth Ryzen 3rd gen you can decouple the two clocks, but this can lead to latency and requires a good amount of additional tweaking to optimize it.

Speed+TImings leads to similar results with everything else being equal, but with AMD there is more at play.

Relevant to this discussion, and interesting video in it's own right:

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Question on...gaming/computer chairs?

Doesn't seem like something to start a new thread over.

I'm kind of...large. Like, 6'5" 270-280. I've always bought the cheap plastic gaming chairs for like $60 bucks. Faux leather, plastic arms. Eventually my fat ass just breaks the chairs. Especially where the plastic arms bolt to the seat...they tend to like to snap right there.

I looked around online at 'gaming' chairs and they mostly look fucking atrocious. Like something your teenage son would want. I stopped in an Office Depot today, and they have Big & Large chairs. Some were pretty comfortable, but they're all like $300+

The one I liked the most was tagged at $429.99. Very comfortable, but damn. that's some sticker shock for a chair. I was a bit ticked later when I looked on their website and it's listed as being on sale for $299.99, but that sure as shit wasn't listed in the store. Even at $300 I'm kind of meh. It was really comfortable...but still...

Anyone have any suggestions on better chairs, or is something like that worth the $300?

A proper desk chair is absolutely worth getting over some cheap junk. If you're in it 2-3 hours a day you're looking a thousand+ hours a year in that thing, better make sure it's comfortable.

• 1Like

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
OMG yes. Monitor/Keyboard+mouse/desk/Chair should be the things you spend the most money because they are the things with which you spend the most time interacting. Regardless of the PC/console you are working with, these things remain your interface into the gamespace. Keep in mind I also have my consoles on my desk, and use 43" TVs as monitors, so this is a critical purchase for me, since I am going to be in this space so much.

This is the chair that I have: Alera Ravino Big & Tall Series High-Back Swivel/Tilt Leather Chair, Black; It's super solid and ultra comfortable right at $300; mine is 2+ years old with very little visible wear (Edit: I think I replaced this chair with an identical one after Hurricane Harvey flooding; previous chair was 1 year plus old, also great.) you can also get used Herman Miller Aerons for approx 500 ish, which is what we use at the office (just get a C size chair for your build) they last forever as well. I also replaced the wheels on mine since we put in hardwoods, another must upgrade.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
What the fuck Intel? This is pretty sad.

Intel is fucked, at least in the short term. They basically have admitted they have no counter to Zen. Xe, the new dGPU, is rumored to possibly be dropping in June 2020, but given how Intel's GPU drivers have never been good, we're probably looking at least 1-2 years before things are stable and feature complete.

Last edited:

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Need to build a PC for someone, they're not a gamer so I'm thinking an integrated GPU on an Intel or AMD would be enough.

I was thinking a mini-ITX in this case since there shouldn't be a need to stick in a discrete GPU.

Suggestions on the Board and CPU? looking to spend $5-700 total.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Need to build a PC for someone, they're not a gamer so I'm thinking an integrated GPU on an Intel or AMD would be enough.

I was thinking a mini-ITX in this case since there shouldn't be a need to stick in a discrete GPU.

Suggestions on the Board and CPU? looking to spend $5-700 total.
Laptop.

• 1Like