Desktop Computers

Fucker

Log Wizard
You have no idea what you're talking about. ALL hardware has a chance of being faulty. ALL drivers have a chance of being incompatible with other software or hardware.

The point I was making (since you seem to be too fucking dense to get it) is that if you're not going to use it: There's no point in having it, especially since it's one more component you need to troubleshoot.

LMAO, Dom. Drives are as easy to troubleshoot as a faulty mouse mat....or do you have difficulty installing the drivers for those, too?

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
next time when you "just add a Noctua", check their website for compatibility

i already checked for you, your mb and case... wtf phantek enthoo??? are compat

e08fb491233f531e524aab5e1ec676ac.png
phantek enthoo was just a cheaper case

People were throwing out suggestions, I'm just kind of eh, but I saw the logic in dropping down on case price. It's probably just one of those things that people disagree on quite a bit. But I you have suggestions for other cases I'll take 'em.

Earlier I pulled a 1999-era computer out of the closet and mulled over trying to reuse that. Not even sure it's worth attempting, other than for the chuckles. Would probably have to modify it quite a bit for fans, front ports, not sure what else? There's probably other things I didn't think of.

The odds are good that EQ is still installed on this. I kept it this long thinking I could strip it out and use for some (non-computer) project, but that never happened and I should probably just toss it.

1575106629258.png

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
LMAO, Dom. Drives are as easy to troubleshoot as a faulty mouse mat....or do you have difficulty installing the drivers for those, too?

Dipshit, the point is that if you're not going to use it don't bother putting it in. The troubleshooting potential issues is secondary.

How fucking dense are you, really? Why are you arguing against basic fucking computer usage common sense?

Decades of optical drivers being one of the primary problem causing components in a computer, right up there with USB devices, and you're arguing to spend money on one and just chuck it in even if you're not going to use it. Pure stupidity.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
Dipshit, the point is that if you're not going to use it don't bother putting it in. The troubleshooting potential issues is secondary.

How fucking dense are you, really? Why are you arguing against basic fucking computer usage common sense?

Decades of optical drivers being one of the primary problem causing components in a computer, right up there with USB devices, and you're arguing to spend money on one and just chuck it in even if you're not going to use it. Pure stupidity.

Like I said, Dom is the only person on the planet stupid enough to fuck up installing a disc drive. Optical drive driver failures. What the fuck are you talking about? I've never once had that happen, nor have I ever heard of it until you waddled along.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Like I said, Dom is the only person on the planet stupid enough to fuck up installing a disc drive. Optical drive driver failures. What the fuck are you talking about? I've never once had that happen, nor have I ever heard of it until you waddled along.

You'd make an excellent geek squad technician.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
So, I'm done arguing with the retard that can't tell the difference between his anecdotal experience and fundamental computer tech issues, and is unable to read or understand the things he's responding to at a level that makes me think he enjoys glue for breakfast.

That said, if you think you will have a use for an optical drive: Get one. They're cheap, and you can always just keep it disconnected when you're not using it if you're concerned about potential issues (that can, and do happen). But, before you throw away $20 on a component that has been obsolete for a decade, consider that buying a fucking pizza would be a better use of that $20.

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

People were throwing out suggestions, I'm just kind of eh, but I saw the logic in dropping down on case price. It's probably just one of those things that people disagree on quite a bit. But I you have suggestions for other cases I'll take 'em.

Earlier I pulled a 1999-era computer out of the closet and mulled over trying to reuse that. Not even sure it's worth attempting, other than for the chuckles. Would probably have to modify it quite a bit for fans, front ports, not sure what else? There's probably other things I didn't think of.

The odds are good that EQ is still installed on this. I kept it this long thinking I could strip it out and use for some (non-computer) project, but that never happened and I should probably just toss it.

View attachment 235268
well thats most likely an athlon xp 2600+ something, and no, modern motherboards with pci graphics wouldn't fit, you'd have to rivet out the drive cage.

Fucker

Log Wizard

View attachment 235268

Ha. I have an old PC of forgotten vintage stashed away that I just dragged out. It weighs 90000 lbs. It booted right up. Pentium 4 2.2 GHz. Such power. I ordered a 3.2 GHz CPU, with Hyperthreading, 4GB RAM, and a new cooler. I noticed it has two SATA ports. I have a WB 1tb Black drive for it. The thing is going to be such a beast when I am done. A BEAST.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
So, I'm done arguing with the retard that can't tell the difference between his anecdotal experience and fundamental computer tech issues, and is unable to read or understand the things he's responding to at a level that makes me think he enjoys glue for breakfast.

That said, if you think you will have a use for an optical drive: Get one. They're cheap, and you can always just keep it disconnected when you're not using it if you're concerned about potential issues (that can, and do happen). But, before you throw away $20 on a component that has been obsolete for a decade, consider that buying a fucking pizza would be a better use of that $20.

Dude wants a DVD drive for his music, not a pizza.

What drive did you get that had problems? Anything reputable should’ve been fine sans hardware issues. Only thing I’ve ever seen is a disc explode after being brought in from a cold winter morning and promptly placed into a drive in a warm office environment. That was in the late 90s.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Dude wants a DVD drive for his music, not a pizza.

What drive did you get that had problems? Anything reputable should’ve been fine sans hardware issues. Only thing I’ve ever seen is a disc explode after being brought in from a cold winter morning and promptly placed into a drive in a warm office environment. That was in the late 90s.

I haven't had an optical drive fail on me since the 90's, myself. I have had to pull half a dozen out of machines of family members and clients over the years due to driver compatibility issues and hardware faults. I never once suggested that it was common, just that it can happen, and should be considered in a situation where someone is choosing whether to put one in or not. That's it, that was my point. Fucker, being the dipshit that he is, decided to pick an argument over a benign comment on whether to use one or not, and couldn't manage to read the comments he was arguing against.

The reason I spoke up about it at all in the first place is that most people have no use for them, but decide to buy one anyways "just in case" and I usually point out to them that it's something they should think about.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I haven't had an optical drive fail on me since the 90's, myself. I have had to pull half a dozen out of machines of family members and clients over the years due to driver compatibility issues and hardware faults. I never once suggested that it was common, just that it can happen, and should be considered in a situation where someone is choosing whether to put one in or not. That's it, that was my point. Fucker, being the dipshit that he is, decided to pick an argument over a benign comment on whether to use one or not, and couldn't manage to read the comments he was arguing against.

The reason I spoke up about it at all in the first place is that most people have no use for them, but decide to buy one anyways "just in case" and I usually point out to them that it's something they should think about.

Well, you have a long history of saying dumb things, so you shouldn't be surprised if someone calls you out on it. You should be quite used to it by now. Driver issues on a disc drive. Haha what a waste of air you are. I bet you have experienced a lot of driver issues with ribbon cables, too. Have you updated your mouse mat drivers this year?

This guy, haha.

• 1Worf

Fucker

Log Wizard

View attachment 235268

It looks like it doesn't have a hard drive, unless it is sitting in the bottom of the case. If it doesn't have one, might as well give it a heave.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It always amazes me when people who don't have a fucking clue as to what they're talking about decide to act like they're an authority on the issue, including being too fucking dumb to realize that every single component in a computer that the OS interacts with does so via drivers. Drivers which are either provided by MS or the manufacturer of the device. Drivers which aren't completely foolproof, can have compatibility issues not only with other hardware and software, but the fucking OS itself. Most especially when it's a cheap component that is using old-ass technology that was manufactured years ago, before the OS it's being slapped into was even created.

"Hardware can't fail" "LOL? Drivers for a piece of hardware? MOUSEMAT!" Yeah... OK there buddy. Fucking Tomshardware levels of knowledge.

I've spent around 30 minutes arguing with someone that doesn't have a clue. Why do I bother.

-

Anyways

If anyone has been eyeing that 1ms IPS panel that we were discussing a couple months ago, there's apparently a much more affordable version that just has some weaker colours. It dropped down to $320 for BF, and probably will again for the holidays, or maybe even Cyber Monday

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
It always amazes me when people who don't have a fucking clue as to what they're talking about decide to act like they're an authority on the issue, including being too fucking dumb to realize that every single component in a computer that the OS interacts with does so via drivers. Drivers which are either provided by MS or the manufacturer of the device. Drivers which aren't completely foolproof, can have compatibility issues not only with other hardware and software, but the fucking OS itself. Most especially when it's a cheap component that is using old-ass technology that was manufactured years ago, before the OS it's being slapped into was even created.

"Hardware can't fail" "LOL? Drivers for a piece of hardware? MOUSEMAT!" Yeah... OK there buddy. Fucking Tomshardware levels of knowledge.

I've spent around 30 minutes arguing with someone that doesn't have a clue. Why do I bother.

-

Anyways

If anyone has been eyeing that 1ms IPS panel that we were discussing a couple months ago, there's apparently a much more affordable version that just has some weaker colours. It dropped down to $320 for BF, and probably will again for the holidays, or maybe even Cyber Monday

I do remember certain disc drives that came with drivers that were needed or the thing wouldn’t function. That was back during the days of XP iirc. But yeah, devices need drivers, even though it seems like not everything does now cause Windows will attempt to pull them from MS.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I started looking at 2080s after the earlier discussion, but I got sidetracked with vidya games. I think $700 might be about the most I'd want to spend on GPU right now.

I guess there's a lot of 2060s in the $300-$400 range. And 2070s in the $500 range?

I'm at around $2200 right now, which I'm probably ok with, but I guess I could drop to my original goal of $2k if I stepped down from 2080. My problem is...how much is the difference in performance worth, between 2060/2070/2080?

I was going to; $20 doesn't bother me. I know I'm behind the times, but I do still buy CDs :emoji_older_man: :emoji_older_man: :emoji_older_man:

But then again, my old comp has a drive already...so...guess there really is no point in having it. Also removes the need for an external.

I added the largest Noctua I saw, with the best reviews. It's somewhat funny to read the reviews with people talking about how ginormous it is. Also a cheaper case.

Then yeah, I would spend as much as your comfortable with on a video card. They really do make a huge difference these days. If you look at some of the ROG reboot videos Linus Tech Tips did the past few weeks you can see people's reactions to the new computers where they just really didn't expect it to be so good, and a lot of that is video card.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I do remember certain disc drives that came with drivers that were needed or the thing wouldn’t function. That was back during the days of XP iirc. But yeah, devices need drivers, even though it seems like not everything does now cause Windows will attempt to pull them from MS.

The usual culprit is drives that just refuse to work or cause problems after people upgrade to a new OS, usually due to compatibility requirements that MS has introduced with the new version. Vista was the primary issue when it came to optical drives, but even 8 and 10 had a lot of issues with hardware, and I'd bet that optical drives were a problem for some people, especially the shitty ones. And again, hardware can be faulty and die and cause hard to troubleshoot problems with a system, very similar to USB devices.

Things are significantly better now than before since MS took a heavier hand in providing default drivers for certain devices, and I think people like dipshit who are clearly not PC enthusiasts (and barely PC literate) think it's all just easy plug and play, and that problems don't occur unless something is literally on fire or the system won't boot. Meanwhile, people that know what the fuck they're talking about are bashing their heads into the desk while trying to educate them the same they would while teaching their grandmother how to send an email.

• 1Like

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
The usual culprit is drives that just refuse to work or cause problems after people upgrade to a new OS, usually due to compatibility requirements that MS has introduced with the new version. Vista was the primary issue when it came to optical drives, but even 8 and 10 had a lot of issues with hardware, and I'd bet that optical drives were a problem for some people, especially the shitty ones. And again, hardware can be faulty and die and cause hard to troubleshoot problems with a system, very similar to USB devices.

Things are significantly better now than before since MS took a heavier hand in providing default drivers for certain devices, and I think people like dipshit who are clearly not PC enthusiasts (and barely PC literate) think it's all just easy plug and play, and that problems don't occur unless something is literally on fire or the system won't boot. Meanwhile, people that know what the fuck they're talking about are bashing their heads into the desk while trying to educate them the same they would while teaching their grandmother how to send an email.

Visited family for Thanksgiving and after the consumption of mass quantities, we were watching tv. I noticed there was a lot of jerky motion and asked if their tv always did that. “We never noticed, but it’s brand new we got it a couple months ago.” Brand new you say? The picture quality was shit. Sure enough, LG 2019 lcd 4k with hdr.

After fucking with the Comcast stb and being unable to make it change from 720p, I was about to swap out the hdmi cable when I pulled it out and the tv kept playing. I was like wtf kind of witchcraft is this. Then I noticed they had the stb connected to the coax tuner.

Switched the input to hdmi 1 and wow, “That looks so much better! Ooh that old lady has some bad wrinkles. I didn’t know you don’t have to hook it up the old way and tune to channel 3.”

Some people don’t stay up to date and know too much about the wrong thing.

• 2Like
  • 1Blown
Reactions: 2 users

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Guys, it's ok! I don't need the CD drive! LOL

EDIT: and I guess if I really WANTED another optical drive, I could just take out the one that's in Shitrig5000 ver.1999

It looks like it doesn't have a hard drive, unless it is sitting in the bottom of the case. If it doesn't have one, might as well give it a heave.
I took it out, and it's in a box somewhere. I think it has a bunch of OG FOH pics on it. I bought an adapter and tried to add it to my current rig to take a look-see several years ago, but I'm such a luddite that I was never able to access it at all. But it could also be borked, I dunno.

Alasliasolonik

Toilet of the Mod Elect
<Banned>

EDIT: and I guess if I really WANTED another optical drive, I could just take out the one that's in Shitrig5000 ver.1999

I took it out, and it's in a box somewhere. I think it has a bunch of OG FOH pics on it. I bought an adapter and tried to add it to my current rig to take a look-see several years ago, but I'm such a luddite that I was never able to access it at all. But it could also be borked, I dunno.
Youre getting that cd burner and youre going to fucking like it.

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

no you cannot, shitrig 5000 has a ide cd drive most likely