Desktop Computers

Khane

Got something right about marriage
If you can live without ultrawide, I highly recommend the LG 27GL83A-B. You get the same performance as the LG 27GL850-B just without the wide colour gamut, at a much cheaper price. LG 27GL850-B if you need colour critical coverage though.

Is the HDR10 version of the LG 27GL850-B worth the extra money? I need new monitors and every time I start looking to buy one I get overwhelmed with not knowing if I should wait for more true HDR10 4k monitors or just get a 1440.

I also don't know if I wanna go ultrawide or just keep my 2 monitor setup. I'm willing to spend up to $2k on new monitor(s). And then the question of HDR10+ or HDR1000? Shit is so confusing.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Gaming on widescreen is great(mostly) but for everything else? 2 monitors much better.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Is the HDR10 version of the LG 27GL850-B worth the extra money? I need new monitors and every time I start looking to buy one I get overwhelmed with not knowing if I should wait for more true HDR10 4k monitors or just get a 1440.

I also don't know if I wanna go ultrawide or just keep my 2 monitor setup. I'm willing to spend up to $2k on new monitor(s). And then the question of HDR10+ or HDR1000? Shit is so confusing.

HDR1000 is a vesa certified HDR rating, and is a different thing than hdr10, which is an HDR protocol as I understand it.

You can find some info about the ratings and what they signify here:

As for if it's worth it for gaming, there's only like 3-4 gaming (high refresh) monitors that have HDR worth a damn (Hdr1000) and they're around 2 grand, come with some issues, are a generation of connections too early, and are 4k high refresh which is far too demanding for current GPU tech. There's also not many hdr games on pc to begin with.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
So better not to spend big bucks on something that is a generation too early and won't really give me much over much less expensive options.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
So better not to spend big bucks on something that is a generation too early and won't really give me much over much less expensive options.

That's my personal feelings on the matter as well. If I were to buy anything for hdr now, it would be an oled TV. Cheaper than those monitors, and better quality. Just problematic for pc usage

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
So I just realized something today that I didn't know. I swapped out power supplies from a Corsair gold rated to an evga platinum rated and thought I could just swap and use the same cables. I had to switch all the cables out to the evga cables to get the computer to run. I always though cables were just cables.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
So I just realized something today that I didn't know. I swapped out power supplies from a Corsair gold rated to an evga platinum rated and thought I could just swap and use the same cables. I had to switch all the cables out to the evga cables to get the computer to run. I always though cables were just cables.

Common mistake. Most other cables are interchangeable so people assume modular PSU cables are as well. Just be glad it wasn't one of the situations where it can turn out to function incorrectly rather than not at all.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Common mistake. Most other cables are interchangeable so people assume modular PSU cables are as well. Just be glad it wasn't one of the situations where it can turn out to function incorrectly rather than not at all.
DO you know of a reason for that? Are the platinum cables different then the gold? Just curious.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
DO you know of a reason for that? Are the platinum cables different then the gold? Just curious.

As far as I understand it, modular PSU's have no standardized layout for their cables other than how they connect to the components themselves, so there are different designs to where the cables connect to the PSU. So you can get a situation where the off-brand cable you put in isn't lining up with the right connectors.

If by platinum/gold you mean the PSU ratings, those ratings just indicate the efficiency of the PSU's

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
The layout varies so different pins have different voltages. Mixing psu cables can cause drives to brick and even start fires in some situations, they really should be standardized.

Oldbased

> Than U
I've been bouncing back and forth between a Ryzen cpu and a i5-9600k build for 2 weeks now.
I've already ordered the case, psu, nvme 970+ drive and have had the 2060 super awhile now.
Leaves, cpu/motherboard/ram and OS
When Intel came out with core 2 duo, I thought my AMD days were over as my last AMD cpu was a 1.4ghz Thundersomething that ran at like the temp of the sun.
Now it seems on par in many ways.
Ryzen=cheaper than Intel + AMD has cooler
AMD motherboard worth a damn more expensive than Intel motherboard
Ryzen= pcie 4.0

If I do Ryzen I'll go for a Ryzen 7 3700X for $300 but not sure what motherboard I can get away with that'll have the ability to shine.
If I do Intel it'll probably be the i5-9600k but motherboard I'll spend more on and have to buy a cooler
Every time I am about to pull the trigger I find a article or issue with what I was about to buy.
My current i5-4690 I did almost 5 years ago so lots have changed in tech since then and I was a bad boy and didn't keep up.
Looking to keep around $700 for cpu/mb/ram/os

Oldbased

> Than U
Go with the ryzen 3700X , the thing is a beast.
That is where I am leaning. For personal builders, Ryzen went from like 20%a year ago to 80% now. That is a massive flip for Intel and from what I saw they will keep that margin another year. I'm building for a 5+ year PC so I want to pack in as many features and tech as I can now but without paying $400 for a MB. So I was looking at X570 Aorus Elite Gigabyte board for both the pc3600 ram capability+ and the 4.0 for$200 which puts me at my price point of $510+$110 for windows 10 leaves $80 for a 2x8gb pc3600 ram that I can expand more later on.

Or should I get the x570 ultra and pick up realtek 2.5gbe( I have 1000/1000 fiber internet ). It is $70 more. Also has ALC1220-VB instead of the ALC1200 sound and a extra m.2 slot with finned heatsinks. It's 14 phase 12+2 so I know it'll be super with power, plus it is all going through my Cyber PFC UPS

Scratch that. The 3800X is now only $30 more at $339. Pulled on that. So MB/Ram is left.

I'm sticking with the 3800x buy but Amazon has the Ryzen 7 2700x for $160 which includes a good stock cooler and even a game bundle Borderlands3 or The outer world. Basically you get the damn processor which is still damn good for like $50.

Last edited:

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Scratch that. The 3800X is now only $30 more at $339. Pulled on that. So MB/Ram is left.

That was the decision I made a couple weeks ago. Computer's been up and running for a week now and everything runs brilliantly. Miss gaming on a top of the line computer!

Oldbased

> Than U
That was the decision I made a couple weeks ago. Computer's been up and running for a week now and everything runs brilliantly. Miss gaming on a top of the line computer!
What motherboard did you go with? Also on top of my edit a minute ago about Amazon having the 2700x for $160 with game/cooler, Walmart now has the Ryzen 5 2600x with cooler for $120 for you budget hunters.
People thought I was nuts when I bought the 2060 super instead of the 2070/2080 but I wanted to keep power lowish and supply was a issue when I bought it.
In a game like Ark/Atlas with a 970 GTX I was pushing 25 fps on med/high. The 2060 super even with my old i5 and ddr3 is running ultra maxed out 70 fps in congestion areas. Plenty enough for me and I know my cpu/ram is holding me back some.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Oldbased

> Than U

And I put this cooler on the 3800x. Probably not necessary. Just heard the stock cooler is really loud.

Ya I am torn on the cooler. Technically the 3800x is really a 3700x bumped 100mhz and with a better stock cooler. I don't plan to OC much so I may just stay with the stock one since it isn't bad. The thermals claim 65 watts on the 3700x and 105 on the 3800x but in reality at stock speeds the 3800x is only using 5 more watts. Basically the 3700x OC'd with a better cooler for $30 more atm.

This is why I have been stressing out for weeks now. So much info. Need more input! Johnny5 is alive.

Oh, I found a review that said the 3700x was still only using 90% of a 2060 super before bottleneck. I'm going to assume a stock 3800x will utilize 93-94% and with a bit of OC I can maybe hit 99%?
I know my i5-4690 isn't keeping up at all. I also looked at that MB. I don't need Wifi but I *THINK* the only difference between gaming plus and gaming edge is $30, the wifi and some board decal stuff. Oh and it looks like the one you got has a extended sink next to the video card for what I assume is the primary nvme slot. I like the idea of the MSI since my 2060 super is also MSI. You'd think they would work together being same brand, at least I hope. Maybe that is the best call and I just not use the wifi part.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
A priori I like aircooling, quiet as possible. Does it make any sense to get a Ryzen Zen 2 with 105 TDP over the 65 TDP's - say 3800x vs 3700x? Seems to me the sweetspot for performance to temperature/noise would be the 65 TDP's. I don't have much experience with watercooling.