Desktop Computers

Oldbased

> Than U
A priori I like aircooling, quiet as possible. Does it make any sense to get a Ryzen Zen 2 with 105 TDP over the 65 TDP's - say 3800x vs 3700x? Seems to me the sweetspot for performance to temperature/noise would be the 65 TDP's. I don't have much experience with watercooling.
The only reason to buy a 3800x over 3700x is for the better stock cooler and unlocked TDP. In other words, 3800x in theory should be a much better OC'r if the MB holds up to power it.
I'll have to look up the prism and stealth or whatever the 3700x comes with to see noise, In theory with a much better cooler and only 100mhz more off the same chip the 3800x should be more quiet. As I said above when ran at stock the 3800x only pulls about 5 or so watts over the 3700x, but has roooooooom to stretch those OC legs with a 40 watt possibility.
Performance wise the 3800x is about 2-3% faster. But $309 and must buy a cooler to keep cool and $339 for 2-3% and don't have to buy a cooler for stock/small OC makes the 3800x actually cheaper.

Hell, they may be the same cooler looking more into it. Either way the 3800x is a 3 copper heatpipe with rbg/led lights. It's very sufficient.

Some article snipplet backing up why the 105tdp gives you more legs
Silicon Lottery recently released some Ryzen 3000 binning data and this suggests the better quality silicon has been reserved for the 3800X. The top 20% of all 3800X processors tested passed their 4.3 GHz AVX2 stress test, whereas the top 21% of all 3700X processors were only stable at 4.15 GHz. Also, all 3800X processors passed the test at 4.2 GHz, while 3700X processors were only good at 4.05 GHz, meaning the 3800X has about 150 MHz more headroom when it comes to overclocking.

Moving on, let’s quickly talk about the 105w TDP which has been increased by 62% over the 65w TDP rating of the 3700X. It seems AMD’s basically saying this: with a cooler rated to dissipate 65 watts of heat, the 3700X will run no lower than its base clock. The 3800X which is clocked 300 MHz higher for the base, may not be able to maintain 3.9 GHz with a 65 watt cooler.

The confusion creeps in when AMD skips their 95 watt rating for 105 watts with the 3800X. We accept that the 3800X might not be able to sustain 3.9 GHz with a 65 watt cooler, but surely it can with a 95 watt cooler.

As far as we can tell the TDP is a metric for OEMs who typically try and cut as many corners as possible. If an OEM puts a 65w cooler on a 95w part and some buyer says "I'm not hitting 3.9 GHz," then AMD can go "well, the OEM isn’t meeting the base spec for the cooler."

On another note, the Ryzen 5 3600x is only $200 and is a great bang per buck. Many reviews say to stay away from the 3800x only because it was $100 more up till the past bit. At $30 more it is worth the modest gains due to being the better selection of basically the 3700x.

Last edited:
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 user

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
3700x and 3800x both have the wraith prism rgb cooler, main difference between the two is binning. Prism is nice looking and decent enough, but you could do better if you want to oc a 3800 or higher. However the gains from overclocking are small these days, moreso on Ryzen.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
As far as I understand it, modular PSU's have no standardized layout for their cables other than how they connect to the components themselves, so there are different designs to where the cables connect to the PSU. So you can get a situation where the off-brand cable you put in isn't lining up with the right connectors.

If by platinum/gold you mean the PSU ratings, those ratings just indicate the efficiency of the PSU's

yea, this is why the cool sleeved cables are all extensions instead of directly replaced the cables (if they were modular)
91eqUjE7KCL._SX466_.jpg

cuz if you think about it, getting a cool sleeved extension just adds more bulk and a mess of cables you have to tuck and hide.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Ya I am torn on the cooler. Technically the 3800x is really a 3700x bumped 100mhz and with a better stock cooler. I don't plan to OC much so I may just stay with the stock one since it isn't bad. The thermals claim 65 watts on the 3700x and 105 on the 3800x but in reality at stock speeds the 3800x is only using 5 more watts. Basically the 3700x OC'd with a better cooler for $30 more atm.

This is why I have been stressing out for weeks now. So much info. Need more input! Johnny5 is alive.

Oh, I found a review that said the 3700x was still only using 90% of a 2060 super before bottleneck. I'm going to assume a stock 3800x will utilize 93-94% and with a bit of OC I can maybe hit 99%?
I know my i5-4690 isn't keeping up at all. I also looked at that MB. I don't need Wifi but I *THINK* the only difference between gaming plus and gaming edge is $30, the wifi and some board decal stuff. Oh and it looks like the one you got has a extended sink next to the video card for what I assume is the primary nvme slot. I like the idea of the MSI since my 2060 super is also MSI. You'd think they would work together being same brand, at least I hope. Maybe that is the best call and I just not use the wifi part.
just use the included wraith cooler, it costs you nothing and it's not like your system will blow up, if and when later down the road you want a real cooler, go buy one and upgrade, it's not like you're getting a super discount just buying it now anyway.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Any reason not to just buy a good aio cooler for the cpu?
They're not really any better than the good air coolers.

EDIT: By good air coolers, I mean the higher end Be Quiet and Noctua ones.

Last edited:

Oldbased

> Than U
just use the included wraith cooler, it costs you nothing and it's not like your system will blow up, if and when later down the road you want a real cooler, go buy one and upgrade, it's not like you're getting a super discount just buying it now anyway.
I think that is what I'll do. The last time I have a AMD it was that blow torch 1.4ghz Thunderbird and back then you wanted to cure the cpu by using it awhile and letting it get hot but not too hot before pushing it. I'm sure that isn't a thing anymore but even stock speed will be a 38% gain over my current system which works flawlessly. The only reason I am upgrading right now is I have the money and what I have is 5 years old. I want something I know will last me 4-5 years and retire this system while it is in good working order as backup.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I think that is what I'll do. The last time I have a AMD it was that blow torch 1.4ghz Thunderbird and back then you wanted to cure the cpu by using it awhile and letting it get hot but not too hot before pushing it. I'm sure that isn't a thing anymore but even stock speed will be a 38% gain over my current system which works flawlessly. The only reason I am upgrading right now is I have the money and what I have is 5 years old. I want something I know will last me 4-5 years and retire this system while it is in good working order as backup.
yea dude, look here is "MAYBE" why you were stuck with cooler or no cooler, years ago installing a new cooler required motherboard removal cuz you had to add in a backplate.

so?

all case manufacturers made HUGE ass motherboard cut outs
41m2uJiS03L._SR600%2C315_PIWhiteStrip%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C35_PIAmznPrime%2CBottomLeft%2C0%2C-5_PIStarRatingFOURANDHALF%2CBottomLeft%2C360%2C-6_SR600%2C315_ZA(1077%20Reviews)%2C445%2C291%2C400%2C400%2Carial%2C12%2C4%2C0%2C0%2C5_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

so you don't have to remove the mb to change the backplate

now? intel and amd have made backplates standard, and all modern cpu coolers utilize it, you just have to either screw in or remove the two plastic fan mounts. from the top.

cuz the common concensus years ago was "buy the cooler now, so you don't have to be bothered by the annoying upgrade process"

if you have decided on shit to buy yet, just don't even focus on the cpu cooler for now, use the wraith and zero in on the other parts of your build, less to fret

Argarth

On the verandah
Oldbased Oldbased

When I first built my 2700X rig, I did a ton of testing with the Wraith Prism before I eventually swapped it out for my Noctua push/pull setup. You probably won't notice any difference in actual game performance, but thermal throttling WILL set in a lot earlier, and that thing is NOISY when pushed. (2700x will happily hit 80-100 watts with intensive game workloads)

There have been some huge changes to BIOS/Chipset/PBO profiles since the 2700X, and even I've noticed improvements in auto-overclocking. I used to fuck around with Ryzenmaster a lot in the beginning. I'm now convinced (after all the changes) that overclocking Ryzen manually is just a waste of time, and actually a backward step without a premium cooling solution.

Your 3800X is a significant upgrade, and has even more ability to self-manage, so just turning on PBO and letting it do its thing should be all that's required.

edit:
After looking at that article you referenced, ( > TDP and > power draw 3800X) it kinda makes sense to leave PBO off with the Prism, to keep temps/noise level down. They don't make much mention of it, but when the Prism cooler fan is running at >= 3000 rpm, (and it needed to on my 2700X in content creation: i.e ~ 150w draw tapped out, or ~ 100w TDP) it's a chaff-cutter.

Maybe I'm just really sensitive to fan noise, or possibly the frequency of the noise, but I found it really hard to ignore.

Last edited:

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
New monitor arrived today and I hit the panel lottery with zero BLB or glow. Not a bad ips monitor for $400cad either. ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD. Just need to nail the calibration down and it'll be golden

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
New monitor arrived today and I hit the panel lottery with zero BLB or glow. Not a bad ips monitor for $400cad either. ViewSonic VX2758-2KP-MHD. Just need to nail the calibration down and it'll be golden
That one of the new models using the sweet LG panel?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
It's broken in a bit now and there is some definite IPS glow in the lower left quadrant, but nothing too major. I don't think it's possible to completely avoid ips glow when you're this close to an IPS panel. Even my IPS TV has some, but it's negated by distance.

The freesync works with my nvidia card despite not being certified, the contrast is decent, the colours are good, and it's buttery smooth, so I'm happy with the purchase considering its price. I'm still dreaming of an OLED though.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser
47B4BC07-A5F6-46F2-8751-435BB6F20AA3-6214-0000040FFE7CB756.png

I got this Q3279VWFD8 (not the Q3279VWF) for the study, cheapest 31,5' 1440p amd freesync 5ms IPS I could find, 200 eurocucks. Tolerable for casual gaming, okay for browsing and watching netflix, fine for desktop work. Stand is super wobbly. Can be vesa mounted with a seperate adapter from amazon, e.g. Not vesa native.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This is the shitty situation to be in where you have good enough and totally functional but not quite perfect but you can't justify spending another few hundred bucks to make it perfect.

Monitor is fine, but a TN panel and not Vesa native mountable. Desk is a cheap piece of shit from Office Depot that has moved twice, so it's holding together with some extra hardware from Home Depot, and my chair is a Verta Gear big boy chair, that isn't comfortable past a couple hours.

If I can get some lumbar support going for my chair, maybe that'll improve tailbone pain per Lanx Lanx suggestion and that'll make the whole thing much more workable.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
This is the shitty situation to be in where you have good enough and totally functional but not quite perfect but you can't justify spending another few hundred bucks to make it perfect.

Monitor is fine, but a TN panel and not Vesa native mountable. Desk is a cheap piece of shit from Office Depot that has moved twice, so it's holding together with some extra hardware from Home Depot, and my chair is a Verta Gear big boy chair, that isn't comfortable past a couple hours.

If I can get some lumbar support going for my chair, maybe that'll improve tailbone pain per Lanx Lanx suggestion and that'll make the whole thing much more workable.

Got an old memory foam bedding pad laying around? Cutting a square off that and putting it in a pillow case to use for back support has helped me with my chair

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Got an old memory foam bedding pad laying around? Cutting a square off that and putting it in a pillow case to use for back support has helped me with my chair
Good idea. I have the pillow that came with my chair. Could be more than just a chair as my favorite recliner has started to cause similar tailbone pain. Doh!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Good idea. I have the pillow that came with my chair. Could be more than just a chair as my favorite recliner has started to cause similar tailbone pain. Doh!
do you have a weight lifting belt lying around? i know you lift bro!!! strap it on and see if it shifts your position, there are tons of differing lumbar support devices out there from lumbar belts to adding lumbar support of different shapes.