Desktop Computers

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I looked at doing a really cheap build. Some of the AMD ryzens are really cheap at times like the ryzen 5 3600x, but the fact I'd have to use another chip on many of the also cheap motherboards to update the bios it is kind of off putting.
Many boards from what I saw when I ordered are now ryzen 3000 compatible today. But for sure there's the chance of getting one that needs flashing which sucks.

Daidraco

Ok here we go. What do you guys think? Making the jump to Ryzen 3700x.
The largest bang for your buck would have been 3600mhz memory for that build. Though, I'm not sure if you have ordered, received it and built it already that quickly?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
The largest bang for your buck would have been 3600mhz memory for that build. Though, I'm not sure if you have ordered, received it and built it already that quickly?

Yeah picked up the parts yesterday over lunch and build it last night and she’s rocking already.

And yeah I got the G Skill 3200 Ram (32Gb) for 119.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I may look into it more and see if any of the cheaper mobo's support the chip, not sure I want to go through having to get a loaner chip and such. I've got time. I don't play games that are a real tax on my super low end system.

Daidraco

I may look into it more and see if any of the cheaper mobo's support the chip, not sure I want to go through having to get a loaner chip and such. I've got time. I don't play games that are a real tax on my super low end system.

With some vendors, you can verify what version of the BIOS is on the Mobo before you buy it. Or, worst case scenario, take it to your local Best Buy and let those jack legs do it for you.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I write BIOS for a living and I wouldn't want to be having to put in a loaner chip and flash BIOs. I don't even like flashing BIOS unless it's a critical upgrade.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I write BIOS for a living and I wouldn't want to be having to put in a loaner chip and flash BIOs. I don't even like flashing BIOS unless it's a critical upgrade.
You definitely should flash any of the modern platforms to their newest release. All sorts of voltage issues and memory issues fixed, both Intel Z390 and AMD X570.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You definitely should flash any of the modern platforms to their newest release. All sorts of voltage issues and memory issues fixed, both Intel Z390 and AMD X570.

I agree. That's a one and done for me. But I still don't like doing it. BIOS should be shipped in a really solid state.

is BIOS still being written in assembly, the language of the gods?
Well... BIOS,.like legacy code yes. I am a UEFI developer technically although I say BIOS because that's what people know and UEFI sort of encompasses all firmware. Our stuff is mostly C and very little assembly.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Somehow got lucky when perusing the FB marketplace and scored a 32GK650F-B new for $200. I was aiming for the 27 inch gsync variant but for a second monitor this will be fine.

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
I did an upgrade from a 4790k to 3900x and also may have gone overboard getting 64 gig of ram. noticing a good improvement on smoothness of games. obv not too much of a framerate jump as im still on my 1080TI. but the ram is also double the speed of my old ram. Was going through RDR2 and while my max FPS isn't much higher (5-10) the minimums definitely jumped like 15-20

Also added another 2 TB of SSD

And now im stuck on not knowing wtf I want to play/install to test it and fill up the drives when before I was juggling the uninstall/reinstall of games having only about just over 1TB previously.

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
recommendations for desktop computers for use in an office setting? Running basic software, office, etc?
1592701090656.png

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
recommendations for desktop computers for use in an office setting? Running basic software, office, etc?
why a desktop and not a laptop?
I'd ask for a price range too.

Like "what should I buy to do office on for $400" is different than "I'm a gonna live in excel and can spend $1500"

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
why a desktop and not a laptop?
I'd ask for a price range too.

Like "what should I buy to do office on for $400" is different than "I'm a gonna live in excel and can spend $1500"

well, I guess it could be a laptop. Just thinking how a desktop w keyboard and mouse tends to be easier to use than a laptop. It would be for like scheduling, entering data, etc.

I think price range around $1000 for monitor computer keyboard and mouse?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
We use Lenovo Thinkpads, they do fine for taking to and from work with the dock being used.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user