Desktop Computers

Fucker

Log Wizard
My Asus Rog Thor came, and this must be the most premium feeling packaging for a PSU ive gotten. Box alone is twice the size of my Seasonic GX, with rainbow foil and laminated portions of the box. On the other hand, 10 year warranty now i have everything but cpu, mobo, ram.

Curious can you remove the rgb heatshields on ram and install it on other ram? Kinda random but just wondering since Viper Steel tends to be good ram but i must use rgb for increased FPS and load times.

DDR4 doesn't need heat spreaders. They put them on there for looks and to block many aftermarket heatsinks.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Fine here with a chromium browser. There is no situation where it should still be happening. Microsoft changed the way DWM works. Are you sure you received the windows update?
On windows 10 2004, latest Nvidia drivers whatever the ones that came out yesterday were. I actually think it doesnt happen with Firefox. I'll try chromium out

And I've quadruple checked the setting was enabled and restarted

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I also notice that full screen is a slight perceivably better experience than windowed borderless. Almost like its the difference of 120 to 144. Something fucky is going on.

Another factor for me is the 144 display is 1440p and the secondary is 1080p 60hz. Not sure if that's why.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
I also notice that full screen is a slight perceivably better experience than windowed borderless. Almost like its the difference of 120 to 144. Something fucky is going on.

Another factor for me is the 144 display is 1440p and the secondary is 1080p 60hz. Not sure if that's why.
My secondary is also 1080/60. Though, I limit my 1440p/144hz to 120 in order to avoid the Nvidia idle clock issue that causes high idle clocks when past a certain number of pixels being pushed.

Might be worth using DDU to clean your drivers out and reinstall.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
My secondary is also 1080/60. Though, I limit my 1440p/144hz to 120 in order to avoid the Nvidia idle clock issue that causes high idle clocks when past a certain number of pixels being pushed.

Yeah I'll try that too

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
DDR4 doesn't need heat spreaders. They put them on there for looks and to block many aftermarket heatsinks.

Interesting, I have some corsair rgb pro and want to buy the viper steel without losing the current aesthetics i have with my rgb kingdom - ive seen some 3rd party rgb stuff but it all looks very wonky

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick

Negative on that.

Are you trying a game that runs 144hz not in fullscreen mode?

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Negative on that.

Are you trying a game that runs 144hz not in fullscreen mode?

Exclusive or borderless? I don't play in Exclusive Fullscreen.

I just loaded up Rimworld with a stream playing on the 60hz and it ran fine whether it was borderless, windowed, 120fps, or 144fps.

Fucker

Log Wizard
After using this to force the update I was receiving the black desktop of death and had to roll it back. Guess MS knew better than me in not pushing the update.

Windows updates are riskier than screwing a hooker without a condom.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Noodleface Noodleface

Are you following proper gsync/freesync settings? (G-SYNC 101: Optimal G-SYNC Settings & Conclusion | Blur Busters)
Do you have NVCP set to enable gsync/freesync to work both in windowed and fullscreen?
Does the problem stop as soon as you pause the video and any other animations on the second monitor?
Stops when I pause the video, but my monitor is definitely not 144hz. Its running at I guess 120 or less. It's noticable because if I switch to full screen mode it's buttery smooth. Someone else messaged me they're seeing the same thing.

Yeah Im using all those settings and gsync works both full screen and gsync.

I give up on it, going to play fullscreen mode. Not worth debugging this bullshit.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Stops when I pause the video, but my monitor is definitely not 144hz. Its running at I guess 120 or less. It's noticable because if I switch to full screen mode it's buttery smooth. Someone else messaged me they're seeing the same thing.

Yeah Im using all those settings and gsync works both full screen and gsync.

I give up on it, going to play fullscreen mode. Not worth debugging this bullshit.

I vaguely recall when the update was first announced that it might only go up to 2* the lower refresh, so 120 would make sense. You might want to dig around to those initial discussions on reddit etc... to check that. I thought you were saying the main monitor was running at 60 as though the update didn't change anything

Also, capping your main monitor to 120 will let you avoid the higher idle clocks as well, saving some energy and gpu temps, so you might want to just consider dropping it down to 120 anyway

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I vaguely recall when the update was first announced that it might only go up to 2* the lower refresh, so 120 would make sense. You might want to dig around to those initial discussions on reddit etc... to check that. I thought you were saying the main monitor was running at 60 as though the update didn't change anything

Also, capping your main monitor to 120 will let you avoid the higher idle clocks as well, saving some energy and gpu temps, so you might want to just consider dropping it down to 120 anyway
If I fullscreen my chrome tab on t he second monitor, my main monitor (in game only) caps to 60hz. If I make the window not maximized, it appears to be 120 (not quite 144).

I play mostly FPS so I can't drop. I'll just do fullscreen

Side effect of t his update: My GPU temps went from 72-74C average to 54C. Cannot explain it.

Last edited:

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I've never noticed this until just now when trying to dive in to why Gris was running so poorly. My main display is 144 hz G-sync but second monitor is only 60 and Gris would cap at 144 but have constant drops and stuttering. Remembered reading this and sure enough, if anything is going on in the other monitor it completely screws with the primary. 2004 isn't available for my desktop through auto update yet.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
PS: There's a new feature in Windows 10 2004 where you can make your PC into a bluetooth audio sink, so if you setup a phone or tablet to watch videos you can have it play the audio via BT to your PC and it will just mix into your PC audio.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
PS: There's a new feature in Windows 10 2004 where you can make your PC into a bluetooth audio sink, so if you setup a phone or tablet to watch videos you can have it play the audio via BT to your PC and it will just mix into your PC audio.
That's actually really sick. I would really love for windows to do a lot more with audio, like allowing you to control things like what audio is going to what device at the OS level instead of an app by app basis.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I enabled HDR on my desktop to see what it's like and it really looks very nice. I'm sure it's not top quality HDR. But I notice it with oranges and reds the most. Just extremely vibrant.

Any downsides to enabling it?

I've heard of washed out colors if viewing SDR content, but I'm not seeing anything.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

This might be exactly what I need to do what I was trying to do with that audio shit a while back

I enabled HDR on my desktop to see what it's like and it really looks very nice. I'm sure it's not top quality HDR. But I notice it with oranges and reds the most. Just extremely vibrant.

Any downsides to enabling it?

I've heard of washed out colors if viewing SDR content, but I'm not seeing anything.
Windows itself has no HDR features within the OS. Games and programs need to specifically create HDR content to tap into the HDR being enabled. Windows can't have HDR on and off at the same time, so if it's toggled on for one thing: It's going to affect the rest, and if it's SDR content it's going to look like shit. Though, I'm not too sure how this works with multi-display