Desktop Computers

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My fingers are rerally itching to buy a new GPU and I hope theres a date soon for the new stuff thats coming.

Seeing as I use a mATX case I took some measurements and 280mm is the longest card I can use with the AIO mounted in the front. If I mount the AIO on the top of the case I get 310mm clearance for a new GPU.

Are there any negatives with buying the shorter cards with 2 fans instead of 3? I'm guessing OC'ing them are not as easy with one less fan but I don't see me doing that anyway. Anything else that makes shorter cards worse then the long bois?

Will be interesting to see what model you get for 600-700 bucks, I think that will be my budget for the new purchase.

With the 2-3 fan designs, the main issue is getting the heat out of the case because the cards blow most of the hot air out of the side of the card and into the case. As long as your case ventilation is good, I don't think it will make much of a difference.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
There are a couple places that have them for ordering. I instead picked up a 3100 and tomahawk to toss my 2080ti on until i build something in a few months. This will eventually just turn into my test bench and i found the 3100 at $99 (Still there on amazon) so its a pretty easy pick up.

Argarth

On the verandah
This is a little out of date (well March) but I thought it was especially interesting in light of most recent developments at Intel, i.e. even more fab delays, and now internal restructuring.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Really hoping AMD comes out swinging with RDNA2 and they're able to take a chunk of Nvidia's market share. One of my all time favorite gpus was my old 9800 PRO AMD and it lasted me a while - only issues I can recall were driver issues on ocassion

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
So if one were to buy a new gaming PC this year and money was...well, not NO object, but a small object, when might be the best time in terms of bang for the buck? Also, though I'm not a rank newb I'm newb enough to newer systems that a hand-holding site or video wouldn't go amiss either - one for building higher end PCs. I've tried looking around myself but it just seems a bit much and they don't seem to have the info presented in a fashion I can use. So just a point in the right direction for a start would be great, thank you.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
So if one were to buy a new gaming PC this year and money was...well, not NO object, but a small object, when might be the best time in terms of bang for the buck? Also, though I'm not a rank newb I'm newb enough to newer systems that a hand-holding site or video wouldn't go amiss either - one for building higher end PCs. I've tried looking around myself but it just seems a bit much and they don't seem to have the info presented in a fashion I can use. So just a point in the right direction for a start would be great, thank you.
You'd want to wait for fall at least, for the new GFXs to come out, specifically the 30xx Nvidia ones which supposedly are going to be much better than the 20xx and not too expensive(but that remains to be confirmed). Not sure if AMD is coming out with new stuff soon too for the CPU, but generally speaking for gaming if you have high resolution(especially 4k but even 1440p) you'll be GPU capped rather than CPU capped and most current CPUs will do the trick just fine.

As for a guide to build, I'm sure more or less any done in the past 2years should be about what you'd need. Building a PC is surprisingly easy nowadays, and there's instructions on how to do it in both the motherboard and the case manuals(depending on what case you're buying but mine had instructions).

It's mostly time consuming to make sure you're not fucking anything up and getting all the fucking cables to go where you want them to go and shit like that, but the actual assembly is only a few minutes and most pieces have markers and blocking plastic bits so you can't actually plug them in the wrong way.

The only noteworthy advice I'd say is to get a small screwdriver(phillips type I believe is the english term, the x ones) if you go for a NVMe SSD(and you probably want to) since the screws on these fuckers are really small(M2 screws in fact, which is also in the name). Other than that a standard screwdriver and a bunch of time is all you're really need, people also recommend anti static wrist straps and while I built several PCs back in the days without one without an issue, I bought one with the last one just in case of.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
The right time is when your old pc no longer does what you want it to do adequately fast.

Upgrading to a higher resolution/hz display changes that a little. There are surges in performance when new stuff comes out, there are also surges in pricing due to shortages (ie chinalabvirus.) If you don't need anything right now, maybe upgrade next year for Zen3 and Big Navi/ RTX 3000.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

Same for me, going top of line AMD, and whichever GPU is top of line come fall. AMD new IF may allow the purchase of some beefier ram speeds to match as well. I stuck my head in the water cooling reddit and i swear ive jumped down the rabbit hole with all kinds of random advice and things tossed in the mix on what to purchase for water cooling.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pysek

It Didn't Happen, It Should've, and It Will.
<Gold Donor>
You'd want to wait for fall at least, for the new GFXs to come out, specifically the 30xx Nvidia ones which supposedly are going to be much better than the 20xx and not too expensive(but that remains to be confirmed). Not sure if AMD is coming out with new stuff soon too for the CPU, but generally speaking for gaming if you have high resolution(especially 4k but even 1440p) you'll be GPU capped rather than CPU capped and most current CPUs will do the trick just fine.

As for a guide to build, I'm sure more or less any done in the past 2years should be about what you'd need. Building a PC is surprisingly easy nowadays, and there's instructions on how to do it in both the motherboard and the case manuals(depending on what case you're buying but mine had instructions).

It's mostly time consuming to make sure you're not fucking anything up and getting all the fucking cables to go where you want them to go and shit like that, but the actual assembly is only a few minutes and most pieces have markers and blocking plastic bits so you can't actually plug them in the wrong way.

The only noteworthy advice I'd say is to get a small screwdriver(phillips type I believe is the english term, the x ones) if you go for a NVMe SSD(and you probably want to) since the screws on these fuckers are really small(M2 screws in fact, which is also in the name). Other than that a standard screwdriver and a bunch of time is all you're really need, people also recommend anti static wrist straps and while I built several PCs back in the days without one without an issue, I bought one with the last one just in case of.

Useful, thank you. Generally, my issue is ensuring all the disparate pieces fit together. The motherboard and CPU and GPU all working and powered and cooled correctly, and so on. I would like to do a frost/ice blue theme and so there might be more complex cooling issues or whatnot. I will keep watching videos and learning more til the fall and the new stuff comes out and pushes down prices or just is so fast it demands a buy. Thanks again.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

AMD is coming out with CPUs and GPUs (CPUs they have confirmed numerous times, GPUs have been "supposedly" also)

Big Navi is supposed to be faster/cheaper than the 2080ti

Ryzen 4000 will likely just take a dump on Intel cpus.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I was bored today and ended up deciding to see how far I could undervolt my Ivy Bridge processor. Got it stable at stock clocks with a -.11 offset. CPU Core temp under load is down like 12 degrees. Almost wish I didn't bother because now I can't stop thinking about how I should have done this 8 years ago when I actually played games.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Useful, thank you. Generally, my issue is ensuring all the disparate pieces fit together. The motherboard and CPU and GPU all working and powered and cooled correctly, and so on. I would like to do a frost/ice blue theme and so there might be more complex cooling issues or whatnot. I will keep watching videos and learning more til the fall and the new stuff comes out and pushes down prices or just is so fast it demands a buy. Thanks again.

Once you decide on a motherboard, check the manufacturer's site because they will have a list of part numbers of memory modules that are guaranteed to work. Others may be fine but I would stick to a part recommended by the manufacturer.

I wouldn't bother with water cooling for a first build, get a good air cooler for the CPU and you'll be just fine. Scythe Mugen 5 is my personal favorite.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Eh i sold my pc, but kept my 2080Ti, somehow i cant seem to part with it. However in my test bench with a Ryzen 3100 it will be kinda a waste. Someone offered me a 1000 but i still cant seem to part with it. I know i should, but i cant!

• 1Seriously?

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Eh i sold my pc, but kept my 2080Ti, somehow i cant seem to part with it. However in my test bench with a Ryzen 3100 it will be kinda a waste. Someone offered me a 1000 but i still cant seem to part with it. I know i should, but i cant!
Take the grand

• 1Like