Desktop Computers

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Still can't believe how big the hyper212 looked when I was installing it.

As for dust, yeah, you can see it hanging off my rear fan there on my Antec 300.

rrr_img_7222.jpg

rrr_img_7222.jpg

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Look in to the shipping and get back to me. Free to good home if they will see use. They'd be shipping from Edmonton, Alberta.
Christ, nevermind. Can't find a price on FedEx less than about $70 to ship a 2-3lb box, and UPS is about $32 for the same(and that's only if you take it to a UPS drop-off, they won't come to you, you use your own box, print your own label, etc, basically a pain in the ass).

I've never tried to ship something internationally before...what a rip. I've been spoiled by amazon shipping prices(if not free), lol.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
two questions -

1. someone recommended me a baller ass case on the other forums, it was huge, expensive and awesome. anyone know what I'm referring to? it seemed quite popular.
I loved working with the HAF-XM on my recent build. It is the smaller version of their full sizes, and I believe the largest versions maintain all the features, if not more. Full access to the sides, top, and front.

www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=6653

Man, the rerolled mobile site is much easier to work with.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I went with the full sized HAF 932 when I built my new PC last month

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811119160

Mainly because

1) 3/4 of the top is a grill that any type and size of fan/cooler/radiator can easily be mounted to
2) It comes with wheels you can attach to the base rather than the default legs, I'm always pulling out the tower from under my desk to jack with something, just makes that a little easier.
3) your power supply can be mounted either in the top of the case or the bottom, whichever is easier based on how your motherboard is designed
4) Comes with 3 240mm fans built in, which are HUGE for pushing a lot of air, but since they are so large they run at relatively low RPMs and are quiet.

My only very minor grip about the thing is that the front USB 3.0 ports are about halfway up the front, rather than at the very top(where the USB 2.0 ports are, but in total there are 6 USB ports on the front, which is nice.

Also(and I didn't use this), but it has a panel on the top with a filling-hole for cooling resevoirs if you make a custom liquid cooling setup. Don't have to open the case to refill it.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Anyone have a Samsung ChromeBox or have experience with them? About to buy one at a very reasonable price and interested in a real life review (as opposed to the few billion Google shills out there).

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I would check canadapost.ca, xpresspost to the US for a graphics card shouldn't be more than 20$ and that's 3-4 days shipping. Slower methods would probably be half the cost.

Christ, nevermind. Can't find a price on FedEx less than about $70 to ship a 2-3lb box, and UPS is about $32 for the same(and that's only if you take it to a UPS drop-off, they won't come to you, you use your own box, print your own label, etc, basically a pain in the ass).

I've never tried to ship something internationally before...what a rip. I've been spoiled by amazon shipping prices(if not free), lol.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I would check canadapost.ca, xpresspost to the US for a graphics card shouldn't be more than 20$ and that's 3-4 days shipping. Slower methods would probably be half the cost.
Coo, will look in to that as well. Pickup won't be an issue, CP comes by our office every day to pick up and drop off mail.

Jovec

?
Still can't believe how big the hyper212 looked when I was installing it.
Air coolers can be massive. Here is the Noctua NH-D14 (motherboard is standard ATX):

ND-14.jpg

two questions -

1. someone recommended me a baller ass case on the other forums, it was huge, expensive and awesome. anyone know what I'm referring to? it seemed quite popular.
I've gone through a lot of cases (including the HAF 932) and finally settled on the Lian Li PC-500FX for my mains. Next to it is a LL PC-B25F midtower for comparison.

500FX%2520vs%2520B25F%25202.jpg

500FX%2520vs%2520B25F.jpg

500FX%2520vs%2520B25F%25203.jpg

ND-14.jpg

500FX%2520vs%2520B25F%25202.jpg

500FX%2520vs%2520B25F.jpg

500FX%2520vs%2520B25F%25203.jpg

spanner

Silver Knight of the Realm
I just built a watercooled system with Antec Lanboy, nice case, but a bit tight all my shit. If I had to do it over, I would have a went with an Coolermaster HAF, I had their Stacker series for years and one of the best cases I have own. If you buy a top tier case, it should last you 3-4 different build.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
My Dell XPS 630 power supply fizzled and I need a replacement. This is the Dell power supply that it came with:http://www.txcesssurplus.com/servlet...W-Power/Detail

Question: do I need to buy a Dell power supply?
I replaced a dell power supply with a Corsair a year or 2 ago. If I remember right, it worked just fine. However, I was unable to replace the mobo without replacing the case, because it looked like some kind of proprietary connector to the power switch.

I'm 90% sure you'll be okay getting anything else. Just make sure the back is setup the same way yours is, so the plug fits in the cutout.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
My Dell XPS 630 power supply fizzled and I need a replacement. This is the Dell power supply that it came with:http://www.txcesssurplus.com/servlet...W-Power/Detail

Question: do I need to buy a Dell power supply?
Only issue may be that the mounting screws don't line up on the back. I know with the HP workstations at my office only 2 of the 4 holes lineup, and they're on the same side so you have to be gentle when plugging the cord in. I would imagine the actual power connections will be identical.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Only issue may be that the mounting screws don't line up on the back. I know with the HP workstations at my office only 2 of the 4 holes lineup, and they're on the same side so you have to be gentle when plugging the cord in. I would imagine the actual power connections will be identical.
Sometimes, this can be braced against the case with something like a rubber stopper or something so that there's less of a worry of the power supply moving. Hackish, but effective. That, or a metal brace attached to somewhere inside the case that won't be noticeable from outside.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Before I ask for anything,this is my motherboard.

Things I have already: GeForce GTX 560, 2 hard drives, 4 fans, and an 800w power supply.

Not sure how important the above line is, but I figured I'd mention it since I'm kind of retarded with trying to make sure the power supply can handle everything.

What I need: sound card and memory (4 slots on board). Nothing ridiculously expensive, but definitely cost effective. If you can keep it under 200 bucks, that would be great....even cheaper is fine. I'm just looking to upgrade a little, not launch space shuttles. You can cut back on the sound card, I mostly just want to utilize my stereo system that doesn't plug into most of the onboard audio.

Thanks.

Jovec

?
Before I ask for anything,this is my motherboard.

Things I have already: GeForce GTX 560, 2 hard drives, 4 fans, and an 800w power supply.

Not sure how important the above line is, but I figured I'd mention it since I'm kind of retarded with trying to make sure the power supply can handle everything.

What I need: sound card and memory (4 slots on board). Nothing ridiculously expensive, but definitely cost effective. If you can keep it under 200 bucks, that would be great....even cheaper is fine. I'm just looking to upgrade a little, not launch space shuttles. You can cut back on the sound card, I mostly just want to utilize my stereo system that doesn't plug into most of the onboard audio.

Thanks.
800w is plenty for what you run. You'd be fine with a quality 400-450w PS too. Regarding sound, what input are you looking to use on your stereo system? You have toslink on your mobo, which will provide 5.1 if your stereo can handle it. Your mobo has a header for S/PDIF out, so you could even buy or build your own (for less than $5) connector for RCA/coaxial digital.

Regarding memory, Intel isn't as sensitive to RAM speed as AMD, so you could just run DDR3 1600 (nice price/performance balance) and you should be fine. You don't mention how much memory you want or what you currently have.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
I have a corsair 400R and I like it a lot. was easy to build, and has a cool looking white lighting thing on front that doesn't look excessively nerdy like most gaming cases.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
800w is plenty for what you run. You'd be fine with a quality 400-450w PS too. Regarding sound, what input are you looking to use on your stereo system? You have toslink on your mobo, which will provide 5.1 if your stereo can handle it. Your mobo has a header for S/PDIF out, so you could even buy or build your own (for less than $5) connector for RCA/coaxial digital.
heh, didn't even notice the digital output on that.These are the speakers I have. I was looking for something other than what's on the board since the only cables I had going to the PC were the typical front/rear/center male plugs.

Jovec

?
heh, didn't even notice the digital output on that.These are the speakers I have. I was looking for something other than what's on the board since the only cables I had going to the PC were the typical front/rear/center male plugs.
I'm not sure I understand what you are looking for. Your speakers look like the only inputs they will accept are 3.5mm stereo mini - Front, Rear, and Center/Sub - so anything digital isn't going to work. What you can look for is called Connector Retasking in the Realtek HD Audio Manager. This will allow you to reassign your Line-In and Mic jacks on your mobo to instead output Rear and Center/Sub. You will need to have a cable in the jack to see this option when r-clicking on a jack icon (and even then not all Realtek chips support it, but I believer you 889 does). You can find 3.5mm stereo M-M cables online in your desired size for cheap if needed, but your speakers came with the right cables from the newegg pic.

You will need to Realtek drivers you candownload hereas the built-in Windows drivers won't have the Audio Manager.

rrr_img_7762.jpg
rrr_img_7763.jpg
rrr_img_7764.jpg

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Well, I have no idea what to look for in a PSU. Any suggestions on that and a case would be much appreciated!
If you're only gonna run with 1 graphics card, I'd say go matx on the mobo and get a silverstone tj-08e case. I have a 3570k, 8 gigs ram, 2 570s, 120 gig ssd, and 2 hdd in mine. All components stay cool. I use an h60 in push/pull. I have the CPU overclocked to 4.4 ghz and temps are fine.

If not that case do fractal design arc mini. If you don't like matx get the arc midi. Real good cases.