Desktop Computers

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
G-skill

Difference between RAM brands is mostly the heatsink, chips come from wherever is cheapest that day. On Newegg you can pay 100$ more for corsair, stare at out of stock for Oloy, or buy some Crucial and find out that they mostly make single rank with no way to know until after you get it.

Dual rank only helps if you're buying a 2 stick kit, and that's all the brands selling 16gb 3600cl16 sticks.
So what you're saying is I have to buy 4 sticks of Crucial?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Any recommendations for a highish end 4k gaming monitor?

4k overrated tbh - 38GN950 best gaming experience imo until they make a 34 inch or larger OLED - However if you want 4k i do enjoy my 48CX that mist mentioned.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's true, 4k is not great for gaming. No GPUs on the market can push most new games at 100+ FPS at 4k.

Most people will go with a 2560x1440 display, or an ultrawide like 3440x1440 or something different.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
It's true, 4k is not great for gaming. No GPUs on the market can push most new games at 100+ FPS at 4k.

Most people will go with a 2560x1440 display, or an ultrawide like 3440x1440 or something different.

Depends on the game for 4k - i mainly play Apex so im always capped on frames on max - Alot of shooters can hit that 4k100+ sweet spot even if you need to lower settings a tid bit. However personally to me 3440x1440 is the sweet spot on a 34 or 38inch monitor.

The Samsung G9 is meh imo but i just dont like the picture quality myself

Leibowitz

Trakanon Raider
Eventually I am going to have to buy a new gaming desktop. The one I have is 4 years old and some games are starting to cause minimal lag. I want a Ryzen processor, as i hear they are a tad better than Intel. So far I am looking at Alienware, Cyberpower, and ibuypower models all within the 2 to 3 k price range. i am NOT a techie, I am a gamer. any and all input is welcome! i can provide links to the models i am looking at if needed. TY VVM!!

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Other than some minor things, 3440 x 1440 has been great but my next monitor will 100% be 5120 x 2160 and in the 38" range but nothing is out that satisfactory fits that bill yet

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I don't expect quality 4K monitors to compete until 2023, maybe a couple acceptable options in 2022.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Eventually I am going to have to buy a new gaming desktop. The one I have is 4 years old and some games are starting to cause minimal lag. I want a Ryzen processor, as i hear they are a tad better than Intel. So far I am looking at Alienware, Cyberpower, and ibuypower models all within the 2 to 3 k price range. i am NOT a techie, I am a gamer. any and all input is welcome! i can provide links to the models i am looking at if needed. TY VVM!!
atm youre actually better off buying from a boutique dealer like cyberpower/ibuypower cuz the video cards are impossible to find, but as a prebuilt system, it's atleast an option.

just remember if youre a gamer, the videocard is the most important part, if you can shoot for a nvida 38xx and if thats not an option then nvida 28xx, aim for 32g of ram, cuz why not, youre probably not gonna touch your system anyway.

any 6core ryzen will be more than enough for current and future games, 8cores ppl haven't seen much improvement, but more is always better.

are including the monitor in your budget? or are we only talking about the case/desktop?

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Alright, 5900x is on the way finally. What's the best MB/case/RAM option? The more RGB the better - that shit is my fetish. I haven't built a PC since 2012, so I'm WAY out of the loop on most parts.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Alright, 5900x is on the way finally. What's the best MB/case/RAM option? The more RGB the better - that shit is my fetish. I haven't built a PC since 2012, so I'm WAY out of the loop on most parts.
By best, do you mean best best, or just good

For case, what are we doing with it? Are we air cooling, AIO, custom loop. Are there any features you'd like to have on the motherboard? Wifi? Number of NVME slots? Random other features like number of USB slots?

Last edited:

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Paging Xexx Xexx the RGB fairy.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
atm a monitor is not included in my budget. I can afford to add one, if needed however The best option I am looking at is this bad boy : https://www.adorama.com/cyslc10600cp.html
i mean is it in the budget, as in you want to get an entire desktop/keyboard/mouse/monitor from the boutique shops or you just want the desktop, cuz a good/great monitor could eat up your budget easily, it'd be easier to just say it's 2-3k for just the desktop is what youre aiming for, since of course a monitor can be purchased at any time and from anywhere

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Paging Xexx Xexx the RGB fairy.

Hah it was just an experiment - ive decided im going to do an all white itx build next time! Well so long as the GPU will fit that is.

Motherboard will always be preference and budget - i like MSI, some other may want Gigabyte - etc etc.
Ram so good CL14-16 3600 will do you good
Case is where ive had some shifts as ive worked with more of late - Im hateful of the bandwagon but the O11 is so nice to work in - However i also like the InWin a1 - 101 - 301

However for RGB sake

Case
Corsair 4000x or 5000x
O11 Dynamic

Ram Gskill has a ton of options just pick around your budget or Corsair Dominators

Fans are the heart of RGB and as many options as you can find - Unifans are great but scalped terribly - Corsair fans are dumb stupid as well - Asianhorse while cheaper are easy to find along so thats up to you

Bitspower TITAN X AMD - Micro Center

These are 2000 and come with a 3080 EVGA but people found out and hunt them down - you can find some reposted on ebay but there are some with a 3070 still around that 2k point - if you have a microcenter near by they are always worth a visit

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Still feeling really lucky I got a 3070, 3 months and no issues with the new build.

Regime Regime is a bad influence. Went for a 2nd monitor so I could watch my 4k movies. Also the amazon premium arms arm pretty nice.
IMG_0195.jpg

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

In case amazon not showing up...

Corsair 5000D Airflow Tempered Glass Mid-Tower ATX PC Case - Black

This right here for case. Tailored made for the AIO cooler setups 260mm to 340mm $160ish but you have to buy more fans, it only comes with 2. So I would by 2x extra.

Last edited: