tenor.gif

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
By best, do you mean best best, or just good

For case, what are we doing with it? Are we air cooling, AIO, custom loop. Are there any features you'd like to have on the motherboard? Wifi? Number of NVME slots? Random other features like number of USB slots?
I'd prefer tempered glass and hinged - I'm over "sliding" panels. I'd also prefer white, I think.

Motherboard features aren't super important, except lots of USB slots - at least 8, preferably more. NVME isn't a massive deal either. 1-2 is fine as I only have 1 NVME SSD and it's connected to a PCI card. My other SSDs are Samsung 870 Evos. WiFi is whatever. Might be cool to have, but I've lived without it since building this in 2012. I always run wired, but I guess the option might be nice?

Do AIOs require reservoirs? If so, I'm not sure how much I want to fuck with all that. Might just go with air-cooled. How necessary is water cooling these days?

EDIT: Yeah, I'm really digging the 5000 series cases from Corsair. Any idea if the Airflow version offers a lot of extra cooling? I really don't like that mesh front-panel, but if it means a couple degree drop C, I'll probably bite the aesthetic bullet. Holy fuck did I get lost down a fucking rabbit hole of RGB though. I'm going to end up blowing hundreds on this fag lightshow.

Last edited:

Fucker

Log Wizard
4790K old PC is wetting itself on a regular basis, kind of tired dealing with it. Ordered an i5 10400 I think and a board with wifi and a mini case to go with it. Nothing to see here other than being the most "meh" computer build ever.

Well, the i5 has built in GPU which is wildly "meh".

The motherboard is a ... it has wifi and that's what I got.

The case takes a blu ray player and a standard PSU which is why I got it.

The Rx 570 is getting sold. People are paying decent cash for this trash. I got it a while ago and only then because the games bundle was worth more then the card.

Like I said, a "meh' PC. I just want it to work and have 0% fiddle time with it.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I'd prefer tempered glass and hinged - I'm over "sliding" panels. I'd also prefer white, I think.

Motherboard features aren't super important, except lots of USB slots - at least 8, preferably more. NVME isn't a massive deal either. 1-2 is fine as I only have 1 NVME SSD and it's connected to a PCI card. My other SSDs are Samsung 870 Evos. WiFi is whatever. Might be cool to have, but I've lived without it since building this in 2012. I always run wired, but I guess the option might be nice?

Do AIOs require reservoirs? If so, I'm not sure how much I want to fuck with all that. Might just go with air-cooled. How necessary is water cooling these days?

EDIT: Yeah, I'm really digging the 5000 series cases from Corsair. Any idea if the Airflow version offers a lot of extra cooling? I really don't like that mesh front-panel, but if it means a couple degree drop C, I'll probably bite the aesthetic bullet. Holy fuck did I get lost down a fucking rabbit hole of RGB though. I'm going to end up blowing hundreds on this fag lightshow.
Don’t overlook all the rgb cables! If you haven’t seen those yet, you can make this gayer than you think!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Don’t overlook all the rgb cables! If you haven’t seen those yet, you can make this gayer than you think!

Ive got a couple sets of Strimer Plus cables awaiting my all white build for when i decide to build it :D

• 1Like

Leibowitz

Trakanon Raider
i mean is it in the budget, as in you want to get an entire desktop/keyboard/mouse/monitor from the boutique shops or you just want the desktop, cuz a good/great monitor could eat up your budget easily, it'd be easier to just say it's 2-3k for just the desktop is what youre aiming for, since of course a monitor can be purchased at any time and from anywhere
atm it is just a new desktop, mouse, and keyboard.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>

I thought about trying this case, the Lian Li Lancool 2

I personally went with the Gigabyte x570 Aorus line of motherboard, and have been really happy with it. But really, you could even go with the b550 to save money. It's basically looking at the feature comparisons between boards in the line and deciding what features are important and worth money to you.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I thought about trying this case, the Lian Li Lancool 2

I personally went with the Gigabyte x570 Aorus line of motherboard, and have been really happy with it. But really, you could even go with the b550 to save money. It's basically looking at the feature comparisons between boards in the line and deciding what features are important and worth money to you.
I actually REALLY like that Lian Li in white - ordered.

I think the 3 biggest things with MB for me are 8+ USB slots, preferably 10+, bluetooth, and none of that auto-boosting the CPU shit.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

I think the 3 biggest things with MB for me are 8+ USB slots, preferably 10+, bluetooth, and none of that auto-boosting the CPU shit.
Wth you doing with all those usb slots?

Jovec

?

Some other things to look out for on the mobo - front panel USB 3 type C header and dual front panel USB 3 type A headers. I was surprised that my Asus Crosshair VIII Hero Wifi only had one USB 3 Type A internal header (didn't even think to check on a $350+ mobo). All that auto-boosting stuff can be disabled in the BIOS, but every board will likely do it out of the box these days.

Kiki

Log Wizard

I like these because it's more convenient to plug things in, and it has it's own power supply. I only plug keyboard/mouse/wireless dongles for mouse/headset/etc into the mobo. Front slots are for things like usb drives

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to, pal!

I forgot that cases nowadays usually have a couple slots attached and USB hubs exist. Boomer PC builder here, ok?!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Don't ask questions you don't want the answer to, pal!

I forgot that cases nowadays usually have a couple slots attached and USB hubs exist. Boomer PC builder here, ok?!
most 100$+ boards already come with like 6 usb slots on the back as standard and this is without factoring in the front headers

my gigabyte board came with 10 in the back

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Nice I now have 10 more whites 120s and 4 white 140s

now they can wait till next years build 😂

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
For RGB purposes, do I kinda need to stick within the same ecosystem(i.e. corsair)to keep the color scheme(s)I want for fans, RAM, etc.? Or does that get controlled with MB settings?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Id say its good to stick with same ecosysstem unless its corsair as their prices are beyond absurd when UniFans do it so much better with better cable management - The AL series comes out next month i believe also

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I'd definitely get Unifans, because fuck a million wires for RGB fans. Outside of that I'd stick to whatever system