Desktop Computers

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Couldn't do it. That curve was too much.

It's sad too, I would have loved this monitor if it was available in flat or at least less-curved.
They do have a 28" flat option, 4k 144Hz

1643840532814.png

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well I love it so much I bought two more, not sure I can give it a better review than that.

I personally love the curve and can honestly say this is the best monitor I have ever gamed on.
Cool. Currently using my old Samsung 27" with 1800 curvature, so the G7 with its 1000 curve worries me a little, should be fine though.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
OLED burn-in risk has been lessened over the years, and the QD variety is supposed to lower the risk further with greater longevity.

Samsung put an automatic process in the background to mimic what pixel-fixer software does, but continuously.

Sludig

Luddite here. Imagine this is worth grabbing while waiting for raptor lake whatever next gen? On a 6600 1080ti 16bg ddr4, and stuff like tarkov/horizon zero dawn play at high pretty well but then inconsistently will get little hitches.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Luddite here. Imagine this is worth grabbing while waiting for raptor lake whatever next gen? On a 6600 1080ti 16bg ddr4, and stuff like tarkov/horizon zero dawn play at high pretty well but then inconsistently will get little hitches.

I never really understand these low-end CPUs. The expense is in buying the motherboard, once you've invested that money, you should at least buy something midrange for a CPU.

12700Ks are shockingly cheap right now and incredibly powerful. I'd buy a cheap DDR4 motherboard variant.

Sludig

I never really understand these low-end CPUs. The expense is in buying the motherboard, once you've invested that money, you should at least buy something midrange for a CPU.

12700Ks are shockingly cheap right now and incredibly powerful. I'd buy a cheap DDR4 motherboard variant.
I was spurred on by your post in gaming. I kinda agreed with friends that were all pushing for waiting for raptor lake instead to be a new build next year to lay another 7 years like this one.

Since latest games all trash, I've been doing fine with what i have so there's no urgency other than itd be nice to get a bump for $100. Even better if i find a 3080.

Can i not swap those chips , or is it a bad idea removing old paste etc.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I was spurred on by your post in gaming. I kinda agreed with friends that were all pushing for waiting for raptor lake instead to be a new build next year to lay another 7 years like this one.

Since latest games all trash, I've been doing fine with what i have so there's no urgency other than itd be nice to get a bump for $100. Even better if i find a 3080.

Can i not swap those chips , or is it a bad idea removing old paste etc.
I just don't see why they're so interested in waiting. What do they think Raptor Lake is going to be all that different? This was already the single largest generational improvement in an extremely long time. In the best case scenario where Raptor Lake is WTFAMAZING for some reason, availability will be shit.

12700Ks are cheap and available right now, and you can buy a relatively cheap motherboard that's still compatible with DDR4 if that's what you're into.

I have no idea if Raptor Lake is going to work on current Z690 boards, or how well. Googling says maybe?

Sludig

I just don't see why they're so interested in waiting. What do they think Raptor Lake is going to be all that different? This was already the single largest generational improvement in an extremely long time. In the best case scenario where Raptor Lake is WTFAMAZING for some reason, availability will be shit.

12700Ks are cheap and available right now, and you can buy a relatively cheap motherboard that's still compatible with DDR4 if that's what you're into.

I have no idea if Raptor Lake is going to work on Z690 boards.
Persuasive, how big a jump is ddr5? Maybe id fork out more for hottest ram and mb to be more futureproof there as I think your right the 12700 probably would last me just fine?

No rush, since I dont even have a 3080 yet, so maybe i just start slowly piecing it together now. That or solve all problems at once and find a prebuild that doesnt suck.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
If trying to do it on the cheap a 12600k will nab you a good upgrade and some cheap DDR5 4800. Thats about $700 and then get a board, but you can also go for a D4 board and juse do the cpu and mobo and skip ram for now. I did the 12900k and plan to pass it down to gf when the raptor lake comes out if its as good as they "claim" but i am also leaving room for AMD to comeback on top as well. I think the biggest upgrades this year will actually come from GPUs.

Sludig

If trying to do it on the cheap a 12600k will nab you a good upgrade and some cheap DDR5 4800. Thats about $700 and then get a board, but you can also go for a D4 board and juse do the cpu and mobo and skip ram for now. I did the 12900k and plan to pass it down to gf when the raptor lake comes out if its as good as they "claim" but i am also leaving room for AMD to comeback on top as well. I think the biggest upgrades this year will actually come from GPUs.
Dont put the added voodoo of next gen cards on my mind. In my head im telling myself they will be so expensive both in heat/power supposedly doubling, and prices being even worse than the current situation.

Sludig

Is there any "better' pc builders out there? I see ads on youtube for ones I've never heard of, not sure if they are overpriced AF or no better than ibuypower garbage. (Only reason to consider is finding one with a 3080 as well as maybe ddr 5 and a 12600/700 all at once.)

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If trying to do it on the cheap a 12600k will nab you a good upgrade and some cheap DDR5 4800.
The 12600K is always marked UP in price while the 12700K is always marked down in price.

I was going to buy a 12600K and ended up getting the 12700K because the price different was just so trivial.

I would much rather buy a 12700K and use a DDR4 board than the other way around. DDR5 is kinda useless right now, the only reason I went for it is because of ECC, which doesn't really work the way I was expecting anyway.

Sludig

Useless now, but over the next couple years shoudn't it? Ideally I'd like to build and leave alone for 5 years not, adjusting parts every 2.

I see the 700's for $365, 600 @280 currently

Jovec

?
Persuasive, how big a jump is ddr5? Maybe id fork out more for hottest ram and mb to be more futureproof there as I think your right the 12700 probably would last me just fine?

No rush, since I dont even have a 3080 yet, so maybe i just start slowly piecing it together now. That or solve all problems at once and find a prebuild that doesnt suck.

DDR5 hardly matters right now, nor does PCIe5.

Current DDR5 seems to be about 0-3% improvment for the vast majority of use cases. As DDR5 speed and timings improve, this should increase, but remember that the memory controller on Alder Lake is first gen and board makers will likely improve memory traces and timing training in future boards. If you are buying everything top end, of course go DDR5 - but otherwise the money spent on the DDR5 price premium would net better performance with going DDR4 and using that extra cash to step up the CPU, GPU, cooling, etc. to something better.

There is barely any advantage to PCIe 4.0x16 versus 3.0x16 for a gaming system, and that likely won't change much between 5.0 and 4.0. The extra bandwidth does open up possibilities for things like additional GPUs and NVMe drives for VM passthrough on consumer/gaming grade hardware, since x8/x8 Gen 5 will have the same bandwidth as x16/x16 Gen 4, but I think current mobos only wire the one PCIe slot for Gen 5 anyway.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Useless now, but over the next couple years shoudn't it? Ideally I'd like to build and leave alone for 5 years not, adjusting parts every 2.

I see the 700's for $365, 600 @280 currently
next couple of years, would be tock and a new socket anyway and any system you find now unless you go balls out will be ddr5 16gb, and you'll be stuck w/ older/slower ddr5, you have to pay out the ass for another 16gb ddr5 "somewhere", it's better just to live the good life and have 32gb of readily available and cheap dd4 and open 700chrome windows