Desktop Computers

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
to give you an idea of what you should expect to pay, from high quality components w/o a video card, i've been thinking about upgrading my work pc, so i'd only use the onboard video for multi display
20bd17bd094c84c4a0e2ca878b08bd9a.png

is this the best value? more like my preferences, i wanna play with team blue (it's been 20years), i don't want water, i have a bias for bequiet and want a silent case and the ram/mb/ps will allow me to oc if i want to, or let intel turbo boost.

this is w/o a dedicated video card, i don't plan on gaming on this pc, can you shave off a few bucks? sure but the sacrifices will be huge.
Drop the MSI Mother Board get something from ASUS.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Vanessa Vanessa Honestly today its so hard to score a video card of any worth, that its probably more advantageous to by a pre built from a reputable source. Unless youre ready to farm some websites or drop $1500-$2000 for a scammer 2nd party, it just makes more sense to just buy a pre built.

But to start you need to figure out what your display is. Do you still do 1080 60hz,165hz?, Do you do 2K 144hz or do you want the pinnacle of gaming right now which is 4K 60hz or 120hz? This will probabaly detirmine what video card yopu need and go from there.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
to give you an idea of what you should expect to pay, from high quality components w/o a video card, i've been thinking about upgrading my work pc, so i'd only use the onboard video for multi display
20bd17bd094c84c4a0e2ca878b08bd9a.png

is this the best value? more like my preferences, i wanna play with team blue (it's been 20years), i don't want water, i have a bias for bequiet and want a silent case and the ram/mb/ps will allow me to oc if i want to, or let intel turbo boost.

this is w/o a dedicated video card, i don't plan on gaming on this pc, can you shave off a few bucks? sure but the sacrifices will be huge.
I think Asrock has a cheaper motherboard, and you can buy CL14 DDR4-3200 for around the same price. I prefer my Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 to the Noctua cooler for 10 dollars cheaper, and it would go nicer with the case too. :)

Amazon product ASIN B075HQDYDN
Amazon product ASIN B07BY6F8D9

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
well thats the bias, after having had 2 failed asus boards, a while ago, never again
I think Asrock has a cheaper motherboard, and you can buy CL14 DDR4-3200 for around the same price. I prefer my Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 to the Noctua cooler for 10 dollars cheaper, and it would go nicer with the case too. :)

Amazon product ASIN B075HQDYDN
Amazon product ASIN B07BY6F8D9
idk if the dark rock will have lga 1700 mounting, they were out the last time i checked, and i'm already running 2, i might as well play w/ a noctua and i know they have lga 1700 mounting kits ready to buy.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
well thats the bias, after having had 2 failed asus boards, a while ago, never again

idk if the dark rock will have lga 1700 mounting, they were out the last time i checked, and i'm already running 2, i might as well play w/ a noctua and i know they have lga 1700 mounting kits ready to buy.
You have to send BQ your invoices and they will ship the bracket in a few days for free.

They are just out of the ones that are for sale.

I just got one last week, it only took like 4 days for them to ship it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I’ve been pretty happy with my build around the 3080Ti FE

Only truly annoying issue is it will not properly wake from sleep… discussed it earlier but for now just have sleep disabled.

Debating replacing the thermal pads in the GPU based on what I’ve read elsewhere on the improvements people see from stock. Benchmarking pushes the video memory into the mid 90s - though highest I’ve seen the core is 75-76.

Highest CPU temp I’ve seen is 62, so feel like overall everything is good - haven’t really played around with overclocking yet.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I’ve been pretty happy with my build around the 3080Ti FE

Only truly annoying issue is it will not properly wake from sleep… discussed it earlier but for now just have sleep disabled.
Sleep and most of the related C-states should probably be disabled for all gaming PCs.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>

I have had the total opposite experience ASUS has always been amazing for me, while my MSI Mother Boards were nightmares. I thought the first one was a fluke and then the second one sealed the deal, never again.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That is a new level of incompetence, after all that they never removed the initial RMA ticket from the motherboard itself proving it was already damaged before it was ever listed as an Open Box item. Makes a great video proving why you should never order from Newegg though.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

Why? Dont invite brand loyalty to all things PC - People who did that still dont have GPUs. MSI makes solid motherboards, especially the ACE and Godlike - Gigabyte boards have been good as well (just dont get their PSUs) -

For Vanessa -

OMEN 45L Gaming Desktop | HP® Official Site

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Computer Jesus is still pissed.

The FTC should investigate Newegg. The only reason he got his money back is because he has a platform to throw shade at Newegg, but they've scammed so many others who don't have the audience to do so.

• 1Like

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
The FTC should investigate Newegg. The only reason he got his money back is because he has a platform to throw shade at Newegg, but they've scammed so many others who don't have the audience to do so.
I want to say when GPU shortages stop that Newegg will die - However that may be a while since scalpers will create shortages next time around. Perhaps when Intel jumps in they can help saturate the market enough that things ease up. Scalpers tried to create OLED switch shortages but nintendo just shipped to many and they ended up almost having a loss due to fees etc on Ebay.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
SOB I guess in the move I tossed my thermal paste, it is 110% assured that my exact comment was "eh, it is $10, will just get a new tube if I ever need one." And what do you know, get everything out to put together and no thermal paste. And Best Buy closes at 7pm. Whatever they sell, Corsair or Thermaltake will just have to do.

*edit: screw it, I'll just order the kryonaut from Amazon for Sunday delivery. Too much going on tomorrow anyways. A much younger me would never be able to delay putting together a new toy and delaying for a day and a half. Guess age really does change perspective.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
SOB I guess in the move I tossed my thermal paste, it is 110% assured that my exact comment was "eh, it is $10, will just get a new tube if I ever need one." And what do you know, get everything out to put together and no thermal paste. And Best Buy closes at 7pm. Whatever they sell, Corsair or Thermaltake will just have to do.

*edit: screw it, I'll just order the kryonaut from Amazon for Sunday delivery. Too much going on tomorrow anyways. A much younger me would never be able to delay putting together a new toy and delaying for a day and a half. Guess age really does change perspective.
thats why i order everything from amazon, if this is your first time using kryonaut i found putting it in 1min or 2 to soften it up made it way easier to apply.

also that spudger they give you kinda sucks, i found the good ol credit card to be a proven winner still.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
thats why i order everything from amazon, if this is your first time using kryonaut i found putting it in 1min or 2 to soften it up made it way easier to apply.

also that spudger they give you kinda sucks, i found the good ol credit card to be a proven winner still.

I had more of it plus the Conductonaut or whatever from deliding the last processor, part of my “missing” bag of stuff.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>

I've let good shit that I really want sit around for weeks before dealing with it sometimes. Younger me would never get it. Older me values downtime way more

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So far the new computer has:

Wouldn't POST at all without a BIOS flash.
Bricked one SSD (or the SSD was shit and bricked itself the second day, not sure how though.)
Doesn't like to boot from cold, has to loop 2-4 times depending how cold before it will start.
Gets some sick benchies though.

The whole thing has turned into such an ordeal that I don't even want to play with it anymore and would rather read a book.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers