Desktop Computers

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

kroenen

Regimen Morum
I still don't know about spending 3x on a monitor than what I've currently got (ASUS TUF GAMING VG27WQ 27" 165Hz Curved Gaming Monitor - Newegg.com), but man it's tempting!
giphy.gif

Fucker

Log Wizard
So far the new computer has:

Wouldn't POST at all without a BIOS flash.
Bricked one SSD (or the SSD was shit and bricked itself the second day, not sure how though.)
Doesn't like to boot from cold, has to loop 2-4 times depending how cold before it will start.
Gets some sick benchies though.

The whole thing has turned into such an ordeal that I don't even want to play with it anymore and would rather read a book.
Boot loops...have you tried loosening your RAM timings a bit or disabling XMP to test?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Boot loops...have you tried loosening your RAM timings a bit or disabling XMP to test?
Without all 4 NVME slots populated, (back down to 3) it no longer boot cycles/loops once on a normal cold start, only after an A/C power restore like when you cut the PSU power switch to work on it. I believe this is normal memory training for overclocked memory.

Yes, without the XMP, it does boot up faster, but since it's 100% stable in memtest/cinebench/game benches, etc, I probably shouldn't care about the A/C power restore issue, as it probably happens once every few months when I'm not pulling parts in and out of it.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I need to buy my assistant a PC. I do not have the time nor the desire to build it myself.

Spec wise I am thinking an i5 with 16GB RAM and a Mother Board with at least two video outs and a significant amount of storage.

Any suggestions for purchasing a non-gaming PC?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I need to buy my assistant a PC. I do not have the time nor the desire to build it myself.

Spec wise I am thinking an i5 with 16GB RAM and a Mother Board with at least two video outs and a significant amount of storage.

Any suggestions for purchasing a non-gaming PC?
Yeah just buy a laptop. Anything with a current-gen H socket chip will have basically the full power of a desktop for non-gaming functions.

Just buy this. Nice screen, plenty of horsepower, aluminum chassis, works with a Dell Thunderbolt Dock for 2 or 3 monitors.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Xexx Xexx I kind of want to buy this. Looks like it would be pretty glorious for water cooling double 360 rads up top no problem.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Mist Mist Is there a special setting on these Z690 boards to enable the m.2 slot? The BIOS knows it is there but it doesn’t show up as a bootable drive or recognized by Windows installer.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Mist Mist Is there a special setting on these Z690 boards to enable the m.2 slot? The BIOS knows it is there but it doesn’t show up as a bootable drive or recognized by Windows installer.
Is it showing up correctly in the BIOS?

The dead SSD I had was showing up as a weird device name.

Can you initialize the drive from within Windows?

Which version of Windows are you installing on it? Windows 10 might not have the nvme drivers for your motherboard.

Which motherboard?

Too many variables here.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Is it showing up correctly in the BIOS?

The dead SSD I had was showing up as a weird device name.

Can you initialize the drive from within Windows?

Which version of Windows are you installing on it? Windows 10 might not have the nvme drivers for your motherboard.

Which motherboard?

Too many variables here.

Yeah sorry was eating dinner.

Just a new build, new Z690-P-Wifi, new 980 Pro. So no windows install or anything. It’s all fresh out of the box. It shows up as 1TB 980 Pro in the UEFI manager but not as any assignable boot drive in BIOS or any selectable/format option in the Windows 11 install.

GoogleFu while eating mentioned something about Gigabyte boards having VMD in by default on their version and needing to flash to the latest BIOS to make them show up. May try to do that when I’m back upstairs if there’s no obvious BIOS setting.

Anyways, was just tossing it out while I got called away to eat. Will go back to fooling with it after putting kid to bed.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah sorry was eating dinner.

Just a new build, new Z690-P-Wifi, new 980 Pro. So no windows install or anything. It’s all fresh out of the box. It shows up as 1TB 980 Pro in the UEFI manager but not as any assignable boot drive in BIOS or any selectable/format option in the Windows 11 install.

GoogleFu while eating mentioned something about Gigabyte boards having VMD in by default on their version and needing to flash to the latest BIOS to make them show up. May try to do that when I’m back upstairs if there’s no obvious BIOS setting.

Anyways, was just tossing it out while I got called away to eat. Will go back to fooling with it after putting kid to bed.
But that's an ASUS board right?

You may need to the Intel VMD drivers during the Windows installer, or you may need to go into BIOS and disable VMD, or you may need to flash your BIOS before even attempting to install Windows.

• 1Like

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Playing catch up on my ignorance. I was told elsewhere that with perf and efficiency cores for the scheduler or whatever you have to go windows 11. Does that mean buying 11, or is it a free update if you own a 10 key?

I'm looking at doing my new build since my 3080 likely doesn't fit case and I might use old comp for other things.

If I dont plan on OC'ing myself. But I would like to mine a little possibly (if that matters or is even possible with my LHR card), and otherwise just game. Would there be an argument for a H670 over a Z690 paired with a plain 12600/12700 non k. The discord mist sent me seem to be all wojack face over 12400's for gaming. Or are these bad idea's because the price difference is so small vs K's and a Z690? I did plan to keep to a DDR4 build.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I added more info to my post.

Disabling VDM worked immediately. It was enabled on that Asus BIOS version. Using the Search feature took me right to VDM, disabled, restart, Windows installer saw it, now installing.

Thanks for checking!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Disabling VDM worked immediately. It was enabled on that Asus BIOS version. Using the Search feature took me right to VDM, disabled, restart, Windows installer saw it, now installing.

Thanks for checking!
I do think you eventually want to get the drivers for that and get it turned back on.

• 1Like