Desktop Computers

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Smokers' computers though, fucking disgusting.
Friend of mine in college brought over his computer, he smoked a lot of pot at his desk and also those weirdo hippy cigs with the Indian on them. Wanted me to fix it.

It was so fucking gross. Just so unbelievably fucking gross.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 1 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Friend of mine in college brought over his computer, he smoked a lot of pot at his desk and also those weirdo hippy cigs with the Indian on them. Wanted me to fix it.

Mist finally confirms the he/him pronouns.

Thanks for clearing this up for us.

• 1Moron
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard

I bought a small house to use as a rental unit. It had been occupied by smokers. The entire house stank something truly awful. The paint behind the dish washer even stank like cigarette tar and I found a butt back there. I had to paint the top of the cabinets with Kilz and rented an industrial ozone generator to get the stink out of the HVAC. I know every single thing they owned was coated in that nasty tar. The living room windows were coated in that crap, too. I dumped dozens of cleaning water down the drain that was brown.

Thinking back, I probably should have done a Jewish insurance claim on it and saved myself a lot of dry heaving.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I bought a small house to use as a rental unit. It had been occupied by smokers. The entire house stank something truly awful. The paint behind the dish washer even stank like cigarette tar and I found a butt back there. I had to paint the top of the cabinets with Kilz and rented an industrial ozone generator to get the stink out of the HVAC. I know every single thing they owned was coated in that nasty tar. The living room windows were coated in that crap, too. I dumped dozens of cleaning water down the drain that was brown.

Thinking back, I probably should have done a Jewish insurance claim on it and saved myself a lot of dry heaving.
Yeah, but that's regular smoker shit.

The way smoker shit gets into tiny components with small fans on them is something else.

The video card was completely ruined, it could not be cleaned. It had one of those small blower coolers that were common back in the day and it basically looked like the Protomolecule was growing in it.

• 1Solidarity

Fucker

Log Wizard
Yeah, but that's regular smoker shit.

The way smoker shit gets into tiny components with small fans on them is something else.

The video card was completely ruined, it could not be cleaned. It had one of those small blower coolers that were common back in the day and it basically looked like the Protomolecule was growing in it.
Yeah, the fans thing is bad news.

The ozone generator I used worked well enough, but it was a small house with only a handful of metal ducts. A larger house that uses framing as ducts would have been ruined.

12.jpg

• 1Mother of God
  • 1WTF
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, the fans thing is bad news.

The ozone generator I used worked well enough, but it was a small house with only a handful of metal ducts. A larger house that uses framing as ducts would have been ruined.

View attachment 409834
you can buy em for home use now
3dded04a46a1a1b2f27dd6abd254b8be.png

i remember almost killin myself doing ozone on car, no smoke ever, but i wanted a neutral smell after 20years, it just old. i ran it for 1hr enclosed in the car and when i opened the door and took a whiff i was dry heavin like some chemical attak

it was also awesome gettin thhe mildewy smell out of my basement when it flooded.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
you can buy em for home use now
3dded04a46a1a1b2f27dd6abd254b8be.png

i remember almost killin myself doing ozone on car, no smoke ever, but i wanted a neutral smell after 20years, it just old. i ran it for 1hr enclosed in the car and when i opened the door and took a whiff i was dry heavin like some chemical attak

it was also awesome gettin thhe mildewy smell out of my basement when it flooded.
Ozone bad for lungs. Not supposed to be in house while letting it run. It's also hell on natural rubber.

It does a good job on smoke odors, but everything still has to be washed/painted with Killz, and carpet/padding have to go.

Cigarette smoke gets into everything. Even the ceiling fan was gummed up, as were the backs of a few outlet covers.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Has anyone used any hard drive recovery services? My ssd totally shit the bed and went raw, but there's some pictures and a few documents i'd like to retrieve. Anyone have suggestions? I assume it costs a few hundo?

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Has anyone used any hard drive recovery services? My ssd totally shit the bed and went raw, but there's some pictures and a few documents i'd like to retrieve. Anyone have suggestions? I assume it costs a few hundo?

Going to ask the silly question, have you tried one of these? A few times they have worked recovering my friends drives. Not the exact model I have (no idea where it is) but it works most times. Just shows up as an external drive and allowed me to snag most of the files off it.

• 1Like

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Going to ask the silly question, have you tried one of these? A few times they have worked recovering my friends drives. Not the exact model I have (no idea where it is) but it works most times. Just shows up as an external drive and allowed me to snag most of the files off it.

I don't see a link but i'm guessing it's a drive adapter. I have one coming from amazon, but I'm thinking it's not going to work since the whole drive went raw.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Ugh, the D5 pump locked up in my O11D XL distro plate today. I really don't want to take everything apart and do it all again. I'm pretty tempted to just take all the water cooling stuff out and put the NH-U12A in my closet on it and call it a day

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Before I get too deep into taking shit apart can someone do some interneting and find out if the U12A actually fits in the 011D XL? It would be greatly appreciated

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I don't see a link but i'm guessing it's a drive adapter. I have one coming from amazon, but I'm thinking it's not going to work since the whole drive went raw.

Yep, that's what I linked. Like I said, it's worked like 75% of the time.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Honestly the best thing about UNIFANS (aside from less wiring) is securing 3 fans to the case with 4 screws.

It's funny how much lighter the computer is without a water block on the CPU and GPU, 2 radiators, the distro plate, and all the tubing and fittings. I wouldn't be surprised if it's over 20 pounds lighter.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
After looking, I put all the damn case fans on the wrong direction. 3 fans bottom exhaust, 3 fans side exhaust, 3 fans top intake, with the 2 fans on the CPU cooler pointing towards the back with no fan on that back exhaust.

Is this worth fixing?