Desktop Computers

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I really don't think the 5800X3D is a great buy for the price.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I really don't think the 5800X3D is a great buy for the price.

For his range likely not but depends on his monitor - if hes going 1080p he can use the 5800X3D w/ a 6800 or 6800XT and it will still fit his price range. Gaming wise the 5800X3D is pretty sweet more so than 12th gen.

Honestly id tell him to wait 4-5 months for a new build but its his decision.

Tweaked it some

As someone who mainly games on his rig id downgrade from my 12900k/3090 to a 5800X3D/6950XT np

Last edited:

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Anyways - Im sure everyone has noticed its that time of year again where people plan their upcoming generational PC changes and what they should and should not upgrade to. AMD has CPUs and GPUs coming out this year, Nvidia has GPUs within next 4 months id assume. Intell Raptor Lake is scheduled by end of year i assume.

For those thinking scalpers arent updating their bot platforms for the newnew, dont be foolish. Unless supply for the initial batch is outstanding you will see more cards on ebay than anywhere else.

Platform wise i have a strong feeling AMD+AMD will be the way to go. Granted i used AMD and Intel this year and i run on a 12900k and 12700k, since i only game i feel i should have waited for the 5800X3D. AMDs new CPU core performance is rather amazing for the new CPU and adding in they still imo have the best rasterization performance on their GPUs especially for the cost vs Nvidia i feel its the best option, especially with SAM.

DLSS is good but FSR2.0 is just as good and you can get better performance for a cheaper cost especially for 1080p and 1440p gaming.

RayTracing is dumb, stop factoring it, its a gimmick and one that cost performance - please never plan a build around RT

Now should you build another PC? That depends on your budget. I do yearly personal builds so i will likely do 2 AMD builds, or just 1. I feel with the current 3090Ti the 1440p scene is more or less capped where it needs to be. I dont see a 4090 as a card of use for playing at 1440p and as even i stepped down to a 1440p monitor now with 175hz im not sure id need more performance on the GPU end for a couple years. However i build to build so that is pretty irrelevant for me but relevant for people just looking to do some upgrades. By end of year i feel 3080s will be around 600-700 until 40 series supply is jacked up and the prices skyrocket again. If youre playing at 1080p or 1440p it would be good to wait 2-3 months and grab a 30 series before new GPU release. A 6900XT may be around 700-800 by then and would be an even better choice if you dont mind the money, that and a 5800X3D would crush most sub 4k gaming needs.

There are all rants and rambles and im sure others have their opinions on upcoming tech.

Also as i have a CX and AW3423DW atm, unless you NEED better yellows and colors id say the CX48 around $700 is the better bet if you have space for it. They just arent different enough to the point i feel there is no wow factor, ill find pics.

signal-2022-05-28-22-22-31-864~2.jpg

I should have done this with lights off but whatever.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
I have built my own systems since 2001, now 4 years+ since my last build and looking to upgrade.

My Current system:
1654955102575.png

Putting my own selection of parts together, I was nearing $2000 and that was with THESE PARTS selected.

Then I got looking at some pre-built options and found the one listed below. I watched some videos on YouTube, and an official HP video went through removal/replacement of parts for the Envy series and unlike other "gaming" systems offered by the big names, it is a standard board, upgradable with standard parts, and limited proprietary tech/bloat to cause future updates difficult.

Talk me out buying a pre-built HP Envy: https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-envy-te02-0285tbundle-dt-pc

Operating system - Windows 11 Home
Processor - Intel® Core™ i7-12700 (up to 4.9 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 25 MB L3 cache, 12 cores, 20 threads)
Graphics - Integrated: Intel® UHD Graphics 770 / Discrete: NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3070 Ti (8 GB GDDR6X dedicated)
Memory - 16 GB DDR4-3200 MHz RAM (2 x 8 GB) / 4 DIMM
Storage - 512 GB Intel® PCIe® NVMe™ SSD
Secondary storage - 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA HDD
Network interface - Integrated 10/100/1000 GbE LAN / Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX 201 (2x2) and Bluetooth® 5 combo (Supporting Gigabit file transfer speeds)
Power supply - 800 W 80 Plus Gold certified ATX power supply

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Two parts of that build that throw me off - DDR4 3200mhz isn't exactly fast ram anymore (3600 is what you should be aiming for), with DDR5 on the upcoming generation jump of boards/processors. With some games having an install size of 300+gb, a 512gb main drive isn't exactly large, let alone the a 1TB spinning disk for a secondary (lol $35 for a 1tb wd blue). Aim for 1TB nvme main drive and add your own large spinning disk.

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
Probably should have mentioned that. Rotational HDD would come out, primary/NVMe would be for OS only, and my SSD's would be used again.

I did notice the DDR4 vs 5 jump happening now, and 3600MHz is what I chose in my self-build but still DDR4.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have built my own systems since 2001, now 4 years+ since my last build and looking to upgrade.

My Current system:
View attachment 416523

Putting my own selection of parts together, I was nearing $2000 and that was with THESE PARTS selected.

Then I got looking at some pre-built options and found the one listed below. I watched some videos on YouTube, and an official HP video went through removal/replacement of parts for the Envy series and unlike other "gaming" systems offered by the big names, it is a standard board, upgradable with standard parts, and limited proprietary tech/bloat to cause future updates difficult.

Talk me out buying a pre-built HP Envy: https://www.hp.com/us-en/shop/pdp/hp-envy-te02-0285tbundle-dt-pc

Processor - Intel® Core™ i7-12700 (up to 4.9 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 25 MB L3 cache, 12 cores, 20 threads)
Graphics - Integrated: Intel® UHD Graphics 770 / Discrete: NVIDIA® GeForce RTX™ 3070 Ti (8 GB GDDR6X dedicated)
Network interface - Integrated 10/100/1000 GbE LAN / Intel® Wi-Fi 6 AX 201 (2x2) and Bluetooth® 5 combo (Supporting Gigabit file transfer speeds)
yea
it shows that the last computer you built was in 2001... cuz you chose an antec case, lulz

anyway lets work backwards, no idea why you chose that thermal paste, a good budget one would be noctua nth1, best ones would be thermal grizzly kyronaught (non conductive)

some of us have gone back to air cooling instead of using the all in ones, i have
an interesting new cooler is this deepcool ak620 it performs the same as the rest of the big boys and the noctua d15 and it's half price, i'm getting one for my htpc to test out

you get a almost super legit windows key from reddit for 20bucks, someone here can post ppl they've bought from for like 10years

you do not want to buy the hp envy
the only reason why anyone bought the hp envy was b/c it was one of the few ways to get a video card, now that video cards are better stocked, just say no to hp

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Z790 boards (~2024) are expected to be DDR5 only, but Z690 should work with 13th gen intel and still have the option for DDR4. Gen4 SSDs might come down in price by then but due to manufacturing costs Gen2 might be the exact same as now. GPU prices? Who the hell knows, but having some buffer room on the power supply doesn't hurt.

Wait for sales on parts unless you have an immediate need

• 1Like

Melicant

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

My Current system:
View attachment 416523

Definitey do not go with that HP. I'd go with cyberpower or ibuypower over them, but self built is better for most people who are fine doing self troubleshooting and warranty/RMA with manufacturers. If you have a microcenter anywhere close, it reduces the cost even further (some of their powerspec systems are also very good). Use one of the PCPartpicker builds as a base and spend some time looking at other builds and tweaking to your own preferences. Their enthusiast Intel build is similar in price to the HP, with similar/better overall specs in most slots:

• 1Like

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
It isn't a how-to knowledge or troubleshooting issue, just a convenience factor. Have many systems under my belt, and Cloud Admin II(use both AWS and Azure) as my current position.

Lanx Lanx Not sure you read correctly, hasn't been since 2001, that was when I did my first build. The Antec case choice was based on price basically, as looks aren't a huge concern to me. Don't want some outlandish shape or infinity colors, but like my I/O on the top based on where my tower sits. Front panel I/O has caused issues in the past for me, so like them on the top. Case for my last build was a Fractal R5, and when I looked at those the R7 was nearly $200 on newegg. Just looked and they are available for a lot less from amazon, and other retailers, so looks like if I do spread my orders to multiple vendors I can definitely save same cash there. Don't plan on using a reddit key again. Did that in the past and it installed, and registered, then a few months later stopped updating and system was marked as using a counterfeit key. Ended up having to just purchase my 10 pro key from a legit vendor in the end.

Malakriss Malakriss It is pretty much a whim purchase, current system running well now, knock on wood. Looking for sales and parting it together slowly is a good suggestion!

M Melicant Will take a look at this site and their suggestions, had not visited it before. Thanks!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
It isn't a how-to knowledge or troubleshooting issue, just a convenience factor. Have many systems under my belt, and Cloud Admin II(use both AWS and Azure) as my current position.

Lanx Lanx Not sure you read correctly, hasn't been since 2001, that was when I did my first build. The Antec case choice was based on price basically, as looks aren't a huge concern to me. Don't want some outlandish shape or infinity colors, but like my I/O on the top based on where my tower sits. Front panel I/O has caused issues in the past for me, so like them on the top. Case for my last build was a Fractal R5, and when I looked at those the R7 was nearly $200 on newegg. Just looked and they are available for a lot less from amazon, and other retailers, so looks like if I do spread my orders to multiple vendors I can definitely save same cash there. Don't plan on using a reddit key again. Did that in the past and it installed, and registered, then a few months later stopped updating and system was marked as using a counterfeit key. Ended up having to just purchase my 10 pro key from a legit vendor in the end.

Malakriss Malakriss It is pretty much a whim purchase, current system running well now, knock on wood. Looking for sales and parting it together slowly is a good suggestion!

M Melicant Will take a look at this site and their suggestions, had not visited it before. Thanks!
for a little bit more you can get a lian li 215

Evernothing

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
  • 1Like

Jovec

?
$230 for an AIO? Its not even one of those overpriced NZXTs its a thermaltake! You may as well get the Artic Freezer II for much cheaper

Also cant get behind this

https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/kM7Ycf/enthusiast-intel-gamingstreaming-build <--- no

3070Ti when for the wiggle room left you can get a 6800XT - If trying to stay under 2k you can get the 5800X3D and 6800XT

Agreed on the AIO. LF2 360 used to be around $120 too, now $140. If I wanted to spend $200+ on an AIO I would probably start with the EK Elite 360 and use the extra 3 (of six included fans) elsewhere in the system.

Aside from looks + ram clearance, air coolers are still just fine. I have a NH-D15 on a 5950x that keeps temps around 88c on a P95 SFF run with the CPU pulling 230W sustained - CB R23 with the same settings was hitting just 80C.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
So i REALLY want to get a ProSiphon IceGiant Elite to put into my Torrent but from everything i read it doesnt make proper contact with smaller die sizes like it does on the TRs so they run warmer. I was considering getting the Thermal Grizzly contact from but theyre super sold out. Has anyone had any experience with it?

Jovec

?
So i REALLY want to get a ProSiphon IceGiant Elite to put into my Torrent but from everything i read it doesnt make proper contact with smaller die sizes like it does on the TRs so they run warmer. I was considering getting the Thermal Grizzly contact from but theyre super sold out. Has anyone had any experience with it?

This LTT vid says there is a copper version coming with better cooling and possibly some other changes.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Yeah i saw that just waiting - Torrent so far is my favorite case and that would look sweet inside the case. I saw it in Splave system using copper and its a good product but it was limited to good temps in TR only so ive ignored it for the most part.

Donblargo

Potato del Grande
B52D2A3A-3446-4357-ABD0-F5277E0F728C.png

Ordered one of these because I’m impatient. Anything is a massive upgrade over the 770 I’ve had for years so……

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
  • 1Seriously?
  • 1Barf
Reactions: 2 users