Desktop Computers

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I always just used alcohol to clean the surface. I even clean the surface of any new proc with a dab of alcohol to make sure its clean of oils and other BS.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
No RGB? Will not buy.
denzel washington GIF

• 1Worf

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Nvidia earnings makes it seem like they arent releasing 40 series at all this year - infact he mentioned getting through the rest of the year correcting current product channel. Furthermore CEO made it seem like price corrections are done and no more price drops as theyre now where they want them to be to coexist with 40 series.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Nvidia earnings makes it seem like they arent releasing 40 series at all this year - infact he mentioned getting through the rest of the year correcting current product channel. Furthermore CEO made it seem like price corrections are done and no more price drops as theyre now where they want them to be to coexist with 40 series.
Is that calendar year or fiscal year? Do they have a fiscal year that ends this month? (I have no idea, just asking, as that could still mean cards this year). Though with rumors of how much stock is now sitting around it makes sense for them to wait, because they don't want to eat all those cards.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I always just used alcohol to clean the surface. I even clean the surface of any new proc with a dab of alcohol to make sure its clean of oils and other BS.
Wet wipes cut through thermal joint compound with ease.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Wet wipes cut through thermal joint compound with ease.
you know you joke...
in 2020 my wife was working w/ the site safety guy w/ protocols and no one could get their hands on thermal imaging
1662650012202.jpeg

to badge in,

so he bought an overpriced forehead thermometer from china (cuz they were all sold out everywhere), it broke within the first hour.

of course i had one and my wife encouraged me to give it up, so i drove there dropped it off and he asked if i could take a look at the broken thermometer.

turns out it was a weak solder joint (google chineseum electronics, and weak solder joints always fail) and there was a lot of "goop" on a chip. i misplaced my arctic cleaner somewhere (i had just upgraded and it was under an amazon box), and of course in 2020, isoprophil was impossible to find and i had already sent my stash to our parents (back then i figured out our moms and dads needed this way more than us).

so yea... long story short i used a wet wipe!

i wouldn't recommend it for a cpu/gpu tho, it had some "film" on it, i'm guessing cuz it's a wetwipe it probably had aloe or some shit

Jovec

?
I know 3090s were tripping OCP with transient spikes - if the 6950 has the same behavior then 860w PSU might not be enough.
I was waiting for the new ring kit for the Arctic Liquid Freezer II AIO before swapping in the 5800X3D into my gaming system. I did install the 6950XT and was doing some benchmarks that ran fine, but I've had at least 3 issues of the computer reseting (twice today in the same game at the same point, during a transition screen where the FPS is through the roof), so I am thinking that the 860w PSU I have is not enough. Only change made so far was the 6950 and never had these issues on the 3070. Oh well. 1300w here I come.

Last edited:

Jovec

?
Thanks. Just did mine. Turns out my LFII 360 fell into the effected period. Form just asked for model, purchase country, and purchase date - but no proof of purchase needed. Then it just asked for shipping info. Very simple from Arctic.

Swap was simple. Didn't spill anything during the removal and used about half of the replacement liquid to top off the AIO - though 2 or 3 drops of liquid squeezed out when I tightened the new cold plate all the way down.

LF2-Seal.jpg

• 1Like

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Swap was simple. Didn't spill anything during the removal and used about half of the replacement liquid to top off the AIO - though 2 or 3 drops of liquid squeezed out when I tightened the new cold plate all the way down.
Contrary to popular belief, an AIO should not be filled 100% with liquid, as most of them have no reservoir/expansion tank like custom loops usually have.

So topping it off and spilling a bit is par of the course.

Jovec

?
Couple of notes on my upgrades. A PSU upgrade (from 860w to 1300w) appears to have stopped the reboots from the 6950XT. 860w was a Seasonic Platinum too so not a budget PSU. The 5800X3D runs hot - almost instantly hits 90C under multi-core stress testing with a AFII 360. Same behaviour with the offset AM4 mount or standard mount, and I toyed with seeing if a NH-D15 would do better, I think the speed it reaches 90C means that it is a CPU design issue rather than a cooling one. I knew AMD requested that mobo makers remove OC options for the 5800X3D, but apparently that also means voltage control, PBO, and curve optimizer settings. I am currently playing around with a windows PBO tool to apply voltage offsets and that's helping with temps.

Last edited:

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Couple of notes on my upgrades. A PSU upgrade (from 860w to 1300w) appears to have stopped the reboots from the 6950XT. 860w was a Seasonic Platinum too so not a budget PSU. The 5800X3D runs hot - almost instantly hits 90C under multi-core stress testing with a AFII 360. Same behaviour with the offset AM4 mount or standard mount, and I toyed with seeing if a NH-D15 would do better, I think the speed it reaches 90C means that it is a CPU design issue rather than a cooling one. I knew AMD requested that mobo makers remove OC options for the 5800X3D, but apparently that also means voltage control, PBO, and curve optimizer settings. I am currently playing around with a windows PBO tool to apply voltage offsets and that's helping with temps.
My kids Pc is a gen older, going on 2 gens now but anyway his 3800x is a fucking space heater. His room is literally 10F--15F hotter than the rest of the house when he plays any games on his shit.

Jovec

?
My kids Pc is a gen older, going on 2 gens now but anyway his 3800x is a fucking space heater. His room is literally 10F--15F hotter than the rest of the house when he plays any games on his shit.
It has to do with the stacked cache on the 5800X3D. The cores sit underneath the cache, so the heat transfer is bad between the core chiplet and the heat-spreader. My 5950 pulling 240+ watts runs cooler than my 5800X3D pulling ~120w.

Modern CPUs and mobos can be set up vastly different, which is why it is hard to compares numbers from reviewer A against reviewer B. Mobo makers set aggressive defaults with extra vcore so their board "looks good" on reviews/board comments. You can disable PBO overclocking in the BIOS for that 3800X. You can also lower the PPT (total watt limit). You can play around with undervolting. All of these will reduce temps, typically with only a small reduction in real-world performance.

However, the big heat generator is the GPU during those gaming sessions.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I havent been following Linus in a couple years. Im thinking he has a really nice computer in a central location and has figured out how to carry the signal to multiple locations within the house with keyboard and mouse input at each location? Can other people use the PC at the same time? Seems really interesting, even though he appears to be having a fuck ton of problems with it in that video. If I consolidated my PC and my g/f's PC cost into one PC, the thing would be an beautiful monster.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I havent been following Linus in a couple years. Im thinking he has a really nice computer in a central location and has figured out how to carry the signal to multiple locations within the house with keyboard and mouse input at each location? Can other people use the PC at the same time? Seems really interesting, even though he appears to be having a fuck ton of problems with it in that video. If I consolidated my PC and my g/f's PC cost into one PC, the thing would be an beautiful monster.
in the before house it never worked cuz of cables, basically shit doesn't work w/ long cables

hell, recently my bedroom tv fritzs to black once an 1hr, it obviously gets annoying when you watch a 2hr movie, doesn't happen w/ i ps5 so it's the pc hdmi cable, it's a 10ft cable, so i went and just bought a new (cuz i don't trust my old bag of cables anymore) thicc amazon basics (actually is tested signal wise the best) 6ft (shorter) cable and no more black fritz.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
in the before house it never worked cuz of cables, basically shit doesn't work w/ long cables

hell, recently my bedroom tv fritzs to black once an 1hr, it obviously gets annoying when you watch a 2hr movie, doesn't happen w/ i ps5 so it's the pc hdmi cable, it's a 10ft cable, so i went and just bought a new (cuz i don't trust my old bag of cables anymore) thicc amazon basics (actually is tested signal wise the best) 6ft (shorter) cable and no more black fritz.
I get the cables thing. I had to deal with it setting up my media PC under my stairwell (out of sight, out of mind) for my living room before finally giving up and spending the money on a wireless system for the video and peripherals. The delay from it makes it so we cant play games there, but that wasnt the point of that PC anyways.

Im just curious if what Linus has done is setup (basically) a master pc for the entire household. Having a chonky 32 core, 4090ti with 128 and plenty of storage would finally make sense if I can use the same computer in my living room, the basement den, my office, and my bedroom. Better yet, if my g/f can log into in one of those places under her own profile and we can use that same computer at the same time. (Which it sounded like Linus has figured out how to set it up just like that with him on one profile and the kids on another.)