Desktop Computers

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Lot of people are going to be questioning the validity of what comes out of there as soon as it happens.

But hell, congrats Linus. I figured he was rolling in plenty of money when he was scammed out of 100k liquid cash and his content didnt miss a beat. Im sure he never imagined all the way back, working at microcenter(?) that he would walk away from his hobby a multimillionaire.
NCIX

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
If I want to build a new PC today , intel 13wtf or AMD-AM5? It's totally for gaming and the CPU's seem to be neck to neck. What I can see the AMD motherboards are $$$$$$.
Also since EVGA went tits up , who is the best vendor for a 4090?
Oh also, 4090 = new PSU so who's good now? I have a corsair 1200w that has lasted 3 builds but I don't want to do the harness spider for the GPU and need the new ATX port.

Fucker

Log Wizard
If I want to build a new PC today , intel 13wtf or AMD-AM5? It's totally for gaming and the CPU's seem to be neck to neck. What I can see the AMD motherboards are $$$$$$.
Also since EVGA went tits up , who is the best vendor for a 4090?
Oh also, 4090 = new PSU so who's good now? I have a corsair 1200w that has lasted 3 builds but I don't want to do the harness spider for the GPU and need the new ATX port.
Intel 13900k. Non Asus board.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
7mfbeb.jpg

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just spend the money and get the best stuff you like - with the stuff you're listing, you cant go wrong.
image0.jpeg
Untitled.jpg

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
if 1440p AMD if 4k Nvidia if 1080p Grow the f up

7800X3D or 13700k/13900k

GPU brand doesnt matter, never will, fuck the fangirl talk

Everything else is fairly irrelevant to get feedback on since you generally will lean towards your preferred brand anyways

Torrent still best airflow case, while i like the Nv7 for its water cooling potential.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jovec

?
My current settings. Curious if there's anything I can do to optimize?

View attachment 476075

Ryzen 3000/5000 runs best with a 1:1 Memory Clock : Fabric Clock. Use another app (ryzen master or hwinfo sensors page) or bios to check the fclock. It should be at 1800 to match your Memory clock. You are not going to get much better memory timings than stock XMP with 64GB. You could look into Curve Optimizer (either Bios, in Ryzen Master, and also a leaked AMD tool for windows) to lower voltage on an all-core or per-core basis, with can help temps which can help boost clocks (technically it changes the voltage/frequency curve). You can also look into a vcore offset to lower voltage to lower temps to help boosts. Honestly, it's all minimal gains though (outside of 1:1 Fclock:Mclock). Just enabling defaults and PBO overclocking in the Bios gets you 95%+ the performance of the most hand-tuned 24/7 OCs.

Last edited:

Fucker

Log Wizard
Got myself a mid-cycle upgrade today.

Antec Performance 1 FT. I'm loving it so far. Massive amount of room inside and it all comes apart very quickly. Captive screws for side panel, PSU, internal rear cable cover. 2 screws to take off the top frame. Cat's fucking meow, IMO.
instaioprep.jpg

Finally jumping on AIO train. EK Nucleus 360 RGB. Overkill for 5900X, but will be good for Intel 14x this fall. Was going to get 13900k, too close to fall release of 14th gen. Gonna wait it out a few more months. Really just sick of working around that big Noctua.

Grabbed RTX 4070ti. Never really liked the 3070ti I have. Hot...loud....slow. Should be able to sell 3070ti for $150 less than what I paid for it. It came with an anti-sag frame which probably won't work worth a shit.

Went to 64GB of ram. Out of RAM all the time now so got this. 3600 vs 3200 in there now. Not sure if % perf boost but it was $20 extra.

That's it. Nothing exciting except that case is very nice.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider

Ok wtf. I imagine a lot of people here need to watch this.

TLDR : The ram you're using is most likely running at a much lower speed than what it actually should be running at. If you've bought expensive ram with high speeds but didn't enable its profile in your bios, it is running much slower and you've wasted your money.

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
if 1440p AMD if 4k Nvidia if 1080p Grow the f up

7800X3D or 13700k/13900k

GPU brand doesnt matter, never will, fuck the fangirl talk

Everything else is fairly irrelevant to get feedback on since you generally will lean towards your preferred brand anyways

Torrent still best airflow case, while i like the Nv7 for its water cooling potential.
I've been looking into this a bit and apparently there is still a fair amount of issues with AM5 and unless money is no object to you then waiting is best. For new gen systems you'll be paying out the ass for what is in reality a pretty small and likely not very noticeable difference. A large majority of people say you should just go with the last of the AM4 generation with a 5800x3d and if you really want a high end graphics card then go with the 6950XT which was originally 1100$ and is now only 630$ and is an absolute beast and is easily the best bang for your buck card on the market.

Benchmarks show that the 7800x3d is only like 12% better than the 5800 while costing 450 compared to 290. It's probably best to just save the money and stick with AM4 until AM5 solidifies itself a bit more.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I've been looking into this a bit and apparently there is still a fair amount of issues with AM5 and unless money is no object to you then waiting is best. For new gen systems you'll be paying out the ass for what is in reality a pretty small and likely not very noticeable difference. A large majority of people say you should just go with the last of the AM4 generation with a 5800x3d and if you really want a high end graphics card then go with the 6950XT which was originally 1100$ and is now only 630$ and is an absolute beast and is easily the best bang for your buck card on the market.

Benchmarks show that the 7800x3d is only like 12% better than the 5800 while costing 450 compared to 290. It's probably best to just save the money and stick with AM4 until AM5 solidifies itself a bit more.
I am currently using 7950x but moving to a 13900KS and selling off the AMD and moving back to water cooling in the Nv7.

Ok wtf. I imagine a lot of people here need to watch this.

TLDR : The ram you're using is most likely running at a much lower speed than what it actually should be running at. If you've bought expensive ram with high speeds but didn't enable its profile in your bios, it is running much slower and you've wasted your money.

I would have thought everyone knew this -

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user