c7a215979ef7572a685dbc9d00ab9a3f.png

• 3Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 5 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
40years, is there no better solution?
Its crazy to me to think that manufacturers havent came up with just a simple fucking plug to plug all that shit in once and for all. You have Lian Li and Corsair etc. trying to do stuff with their cases and its hookups, but then you have fucking fuckwit mobo makers wanting to be a special fucking snowflake with part of the pins. So then you have Lian Li making a partial pin plugs that take away "some" of the headache of it - but you still end up trying to figure out the orientation of the fucking board matched to the manual. As you can see, I fucking hate those plugs.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Its crazy to me to think that manufacturers havent came up with just a simple fucking plug to plug all that shit in once and for all. You have Lian Li and Corsair etc. trying to do stuff with their cases and its hookups, but then you have fucking fuckwit mobo makers wanting to be a special fucking snowflake with part of the pins. So then you have Lian Li making a partial pin plugs that take away "some" of the headache of it - but you still end up trying to figure out the orientation of the fucking board matched to the manual. As you can see, I fucking hate those plugs.
yea but, their latest innovation is color coding!
FRONT+PANEL+HEADER.jpg

you know what the innovation was before this? putting them next to each other!

i saw a 286board where like j11 (no label, you need the manual) is on one side and j12 is on the other side of the board

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kais

<Gold Donor>
Adding a network card, Sound Blaster and and Diamond S3 to this piece of shit with no mobo documentation.
That fucker had the mobo horizontal on the bottom, and everything stacked in the middle of the board. If you didn't slide the mobo out juuust right you would rip off the battery that was soldered on to the CMOS pins.

• 1Solidarity

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Damn kids, back in my day we set our memory speed by fiddling about with jumpers in a packed case full of sharp edges and we liked it.

View attachment 477755
Board not green enough, would not bang.
I come from the electrical construction world, so computer cases, and electrical boxes always made me wonder: Who is the fucking genius that thought it was a good idea to install electrical / computer parts in SHARP METAL BOXES! I had one guy that tried to catch a panel tub and slice his thumb so bad it had to have surgery 2x times.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Board not green enough, would not bang.
I come from the electrical construction world, so computer cases, and electrical boxes always made me wonder: Who is the fucking genius that thought it was a good idea to install electrical / computer parts in SHARP METAL BOXES! I had one guy that tried to catch a panel tub and slice his thumb so bad it had to have surgery 2x times.
sharp metal boxes, shaped like a u, that you had to finess in
0c3317d91fa82dd08434ef66aa2f958c.png

• 1Solidarity

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I think I sold that exact model at Sears or one with a base very similar!

That was my first computer. I bought it from Sears with graduation money for $1600ish in 1997. Pentium 133 mhz with MMX, 16 mb EDO RAM, 1.2 GB Quantum Fireball HDD and a 2X CD-ROM!

I thought it was glorious until I got to college and a guy down the hall had a SCSI CD burner. If you supplied him with CD-Rs and his PC didn't get disturbed overnight, he'd make you copies of Diablo, Mechwarrior 2, and Total Annihilatinon.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
That fucker had the mobo horizontal on the bottom, and everything stacked in the middle of the board. If you didn't slide the mobo out juuust right you would rip off the battery that was soldered on to the CMOS pins.

Tearing that fucker down and rebuilding it several times taught me a lot. The PC gods demanded blood.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
40years, is there no better solution?
My previous Asus board came with one of these, that let me plug my case's individual switch/led headers into it, and then plug it into the motherboard. But yeah, the fact that this kind of shit isn't standardized is maddening.

1686701867057.png

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
My previous Asus board came with one of these, that let me plug my case's individual switch/led headers into it, and then plug it into the motherboard. But yeah, the fact that this kind of shit isn't standardized is maddening.

View attachment 477849

Gigabyte gives you a bracket that you plug them all in to, then you plug it in to the mobo. I think they only give it to you on the mid range and up boards.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Gigabyte gives you a bracket that you plug them all in to, then you plug it in to the mobo. I think they only give it to you on the mid range and up boards.
yea, it's basically an adapter so you don't strain your neck trying to plug in the wires since your board is already screwed down... and if you don't have it and you have to go the old fashioned way, you just think
"i really only need the fucking pw/ switch anyway", done

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Fucker

Log Wizard
yea, it's basically an adapter so you don't strain your neck trying to plug in the wires since your board is already screwed down... and if you don't have it and you have to go the old fashioned way, you just think
"i really only need the fucking pw/ switch anyway", done
Ya'll gonna freak out when you realize the chassis connectors have a standard layout, and the only one you have to seat correctly is the top left. After that, impossible to misplug.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Ya'll gonna freak out when you realize the chassis connectors have a standard layout, and the only one you have to seat correctly is the top left. After that, impossible to misplug.
it's actually absurdly long, b/c they still have the legacy layout for speaker

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Whoa! I just realized it has TWO cd-rom drives. Such luxury!

Dude, that other drive is a floppy. At one point I did upgrade it with a 32x CD-ROM and a 2x CD-R though.

I had wanted to replace the floppy with a with a ZIP drive, but it didn't quite fit properly.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Dude, that other drive is a floppy. At one point I did upgrade it with a 32x CD-ROM and a 2x CD-R though.

I had wanted to replace the floppy with a with a ZIP drive, but it didn't quite fit properly.
i remember my first big boy purchase from "buy dot com" (yea remember them?) was adaptec 2940 scsi and 2x plextor writer/reader

those 3 items cost more than the whole pc

• 1Solidarity

Fucker

Log Wizard

Under the floppy drive...