Desktop Computers

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Under the floppy drive...
man when i forced myself to stop hoarding computer shit, i musta had like 20 floppy cables, i even threw out all the floppy drives i had (6)

of course as a "just in case" i have a usb dvd drive and a usb floppy drive around in case i have to read super old shit.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
yea, it's basically an adapter so you don't strain your neck trying to plug in the wires since your board is already screwed down... and if you don't have it and you have to go the old fashioned way, you just think
"i really only need the fucking pw/ switch anyway", done
I definitely only plug in the power switch most of the time. What the fuck do I want more flashing indicator lights for

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Sinistkir13

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Quick question, would it be better to go with the i9-13900k or the i7-13700k? The latter doesn't boost as high, but it has a better base clock and sounds like it's easier to cool. I'd be going with a 360mm either way, but I'm just thinking ahead on which if I come across a good deal.

Jovec

?
Quick question, would it be better to go with the i9-13900k or the i7-13700k? The latter doesn't boost as high, but it has a better base clock and sounds like it's easier to cool. I'd be going with a 360mm either way, but I'm just thinking ahead on which if I come across a good deal.

The power/heat is mostly an issue for all-core loads, especially at the "auto" settings for vcore many mobos use. For gaming, power and heat will be roughly equally but you may boost an extra 50-200MHz on the 13900k, but that won't be noticeable unless you are both using a 4090 and benching. If you run a lot of long duration all-core tasks then got 13900 for sure. If the 13700 allows you to bump your GPU tier then do that instead.

• 1Like

Sinistkir13

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The power/heat is mostly an issue for all-core loads, especially at the "auto" settings for vcore many mobos use. For gaming, power and heat will be roughly equally but you may boost an extra 50-200MHz on the 13900k, but that won't be noticeable unless you are both using a 4090 and benching. If you run a lot of long duration all-core tasks then got 13900 for sure. If the 13700 allows you to bump your GPU tier then do that instead.
That's what it seemed based on reviews since it was only in those stress tests where it would eke ahead. I just wanted to keep my options open depending on what sales they start running probably within the next few months. The last time I saw the i9 on sale, it was not much more than the i7, but I wasn't entirely sure if I'd go 13th gen or AM5 and frankly I'm still waffling a bit since they both have their pros and cons. What's mainly pushing me towards the Intel is just the somewhat rocky state of things right now on the AM5 platform, and I'm still weighing benchmarks to make absolutely sure I go with something that suits my use case.

A part of me sort of just wants to see what the Raptor Lake refresh has in store since I've waited so long, as in during the pandemic, but it's been an ongoing derailment in terms of priority over other life things.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I resurrected an old socket 478 p4 board last week, and the cpu cooler had broken. The little clip that clipped to the cooler itself, so I ordered another. Now that I have it I see that the actual retention bracket on the board is broken too :emoji_laughing:

These things all seem to be plastic. Has anyone seen one in metal? I'd like to have something that isn't going to just go brittle in a few years. Especially since most of these were probably made in the 478 era and are already brittle.

I'll probably end up 3rd world engineering something with wire for now.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I resurrected an old socket 478 p4 board last week, and the cpu cooler had broken. The little clip that clipped to the cooler itself, so I ordered another. Now that I have it I see that the actual retention bracket on the board is broken too :emoji_laughing:

These things all seem to be plastic. Has anyone seen one in metal? I'd like to have something that isn't going to just go brittle in a few years. Especially since most of these were probably made in the 478 era and are already brittle.

I'll probably end up 3rd world engineering something with wire for now.
jesus christt thats not even core2duo

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Yea it is super old. I do have a core2quad somewhere too. I don't even really have a use for this machine just decided to get it working.

A stretched out paperclip is holding it for now.
IMG_0295.JPG

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
My apologies if this has been discussed recently and I missed it. I built my current desktop PC about 7 years ago and it's struggling to run some new games even on the lowest settings.

1. Do we still live in a world where building your own PC is a significant savings over buying off the shelf (I'm aiming for lower-mid to mid-range for the new desktop)?
2. What's a ballpark estimate on what I should expect to spend?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
My apologies if this has been discussed recently and I missed it. I built my current desktop PC about 7 years ago and it's struggling to run some new games even on the lowest settings.

1. Do we still live in a world where building your own PC is a significant savings over buying off the shelf (I'm aiming for lower-mid to mid-range for the new desktop)?
yea i'd say a good 1200$ would be lower mid, checkout the 1200$ builds

a similiarly priced july4th special from a builder would give less ram/power and they always have janky power supplies
b2a4698c79007aeaee5a4959eff6ee20.png

(not that i would use the pcpartpicker build guides, they're "okish" but still better than a systembuilder)

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

If you'd kept doing YouTube videos you wouldn't have this problem.

Places like MicroCenter will actually build the PC for you when you buy the parts. I would suggest just buying a prebuilt. The savings isn't that huge and building one will take you for-fucking-ever if you haven't done it in a decade; mostly due to cable management and fan placement.

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Dandai Dandai do you have a MicroCenter in your area?

If not just use Cyberpower PC and post what you'd want to buy here before you buy it.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Dandai Dandai do you have a MicroCenter in your area?

If not just use Cyberpower PC and post what you'd want to buy here before you buy it.
I do not have a microcenter nearby. Closest would be 4-5 hours away.

Honestly, I’m not even sure where to start as far as mobo/cpu/ram as I haven’t followed that scene in years. I think I modeled my last build off of something on mmo champion lol