Desktop Computers

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Oh, also, I'm scared of Microcenter. I've never been to one. I don't want to get jayrebbed.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

Would appreciate if anyone could highlight some red flags in this build. Goals:
  • Low power and low noise(usually go hand in hand).
  • At least 12GB VRAM. I got 5+ years out of my 1060 6GB, I'd like to do the same here. I don't think 8GB VRAM is future proof.
  • Ryzen X3D. Not really a requirement, but seems like the best budget gaming CPU while also being reasonable on the wattage.
Not really tied to specific parts as long as it's quiet. Not ready to try water cooling. Noctua is probably overkill. So is the 990 Pro. But even if I cut corners there, still $1500+ easy, so...not?

I'm really annoyed at the current GPU market. There doesn't seem to be a "budget" option that is: current gen, 12GB VRAM, relatively low power consumption.
don't forget to pick up a pair of offset bars for the noctua
d696dafe94c6a4f2fc32b20b6a1b8c41.png

better/contact perforamance cuz of the offfset

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Nothing jumps out at me there, but if you have a Microcenter near you, you might want to consider the Ryzen 5600X3D. It just launched as a Microcenter exclusive deal with AMD. They're made from salvaged 5800X3Ds.

My kid jsut picked up the 5800X3D for like $300 a few weeks ago from Amazon deal. Nice upgrade from his 3700 whatever from back in the day. Basically gave him like 20%-30% performance boost in games.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
WTF? Is this why my Noctua's have gotten louder over time?

Those are to move the cooler to be more centered over the hottest part of the CPU. That won't cause changes in performance over time.

More likely you have a combination of dust buildup, paste dryout and environmental factors (higher ambient air temps).

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Those are to move the cooler to be more centered over the hottest part of the CPU. That won't cause changes in performance over time.

More likely you have a combination of dust buildup, paste dryout and environmental factors (higher ambient air temps).

Nah. My PC is like 2 months old.

It went from dead silent most of the time to a dull whir.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Was shocked to see Noctua CPU coolers sales pop up but it's a brand new 3rd party seller with no feedback. guangdongmaohanshang maoyouxiangongsi is not someone we order from.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Nah. My PC is like 2 months old.

It went from dead silent most of the time to a dull whir.

Well, it has gotten warmer in the last couple months in most places. Might want to check temps and maybe fiddle with fan settings.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Was shocked to see Noctua CPU coolers sales pop up but it's a brand new 3rd party seller with no feedback. guangdongmaohanshang maoyouxiangongsi is not someone we order from.
Baffles the mind to think that the people at those companies apparently think Americans dont instantly see their company name and nope right the fuck off their product/inventory.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Microcenter in Miami next year /bask - old news but i forget to come on these forums much lately.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
nogga, did you just curse at me?

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Wasn't sure where to put this.

Lanx Lanx , oh master of amazon knick knacks, can you help me find something like this?

I want a clear/transparent dry-erase board that I can hang up on a wall, with some kind of shelf/sleeve/whatever on the BACK side of it that I can use to insert printed 24x36 maps. I want to be able to hang up the board on the wall and swap out the printed maps behind it once a week.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Wasn't sure where to put this.

Lanx Lanx , oh master of amazon knick knacks, can you help me find something like this?

I want a clear/transparent dry-erase board that I can hang up on a wall, with some kind of shelf/sleeve/whatever on the BACK side of it that I can use to insert printed 24x36 maps. I want to be able to hang up the board on the wall and swap out the printed maps behind it once a week.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Another space step has to occur soon. 256GB to 512GB to 1TB to 2TB we know that 4TB has to become the standard at some point.