Desktop Computers

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
yeah there is a hardware monitor and an open hardware monitor, you need the latter.

Yeah this is helpful. Only thing I don’t like is having to back into the general temps #1, #2, #3, etc. I’m pretty sure #2 is my cpu tho.

Already looking for a small monitor to throw it on.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Already looking for a small monitor to throw it on.

Turns out there's not really a great solution for this, so I guess I'll just stick it somewhere inocuous and hope it doesn't get in the way during gaming.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Turns out there's not really a great solution for this, so I guess I'll just stick it somewhere inocuous and hope it doesn't get in the way during gaming.
No idea who this streamer is - but now that I know they arent expensive as fuck anymore.. Im semi curious where I could put it in my PC that wouldnt block airflow. My case hides the power supply so it doesnt even look like the PC has one. The only problem I have with this streamer is that he blocks his rear exhaust with it, which is retarded imo. But its water cooled, so "meh". But Jayz 2 Cents has it where it was in the bottom of the PC where the power supply was.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
No idea who this streamer is - but now that I know they arent expensive as fuck anymore.. Im semi curious where I could put it in my PC that wouldnt block airflow. My case hides the power supply so it doesnt even look like the PC has one. The only problem I have with this streamer is that he blocks his rear exhaust with it, which is retarded imo. But its water cooled, so "meh". But Jayz 2 Cents has it where it was in the bottom of the PC where the power supply was.

I saw where they were putting them on the outside front of their SFFPC cases and they fit perfectly and looked like they belonged there. Pretty slick.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So decided to go with this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/N64gsh

I've been buying parts over last couple months. In the end everything was about $1500. Which was about my max budget. I wanted room to grow, so AM5 board(though that cpu should last) and a hefty PSU. The ram I chose because I wanted low profile(and I dont care at all for RGB) to fit under the cooler.

The GPU was my main debate. Because I was on a budget things like 4070 or 4070ti were a bit too much, though same with 7900xt or even 6950xt. I know the 7800xt comes soon, but would be waiting another month or so(and if the leak has any truth to it, it seems like a slight increase over 6800xt with probably better effficiency and software stuff). But I have zero care atm for things like FSR, RT, DLSS etc. Also this way, I can start saving again and maybe next generation will be a good one for the mid range GPU wise. As I don't see myself trying 4k anytime soon(since I just got a 1440p monitor recently try that resolution). And could easily get a future GPU and just slot it into this system. ANd hell maybe in 2 generations a new AM5 CPU.

Was tired of missing games or future games, because my old ass i5 6500 and 1070 was too low.

Malakriss

The GPU was my main debate. Because I was on a budget things like 4070 or 4070ti were a bit too much, though same with 7900xt or even 6950xt. I know the 7800xt comes soon, but would be waiting another month or so(and if the leak has any truth to it, it seems like a slight increase over 6800xt with probably better effficiency and software stuff). But I have zero care atm for things like FSR, RT, DLSS etc. Also this way, I can start saving again and maybe next generation will be a good one for the mid range GPU wise. As I don't see myself trying 4k anytime soon(since I just got a 1440p monitor recently try that resolution). And could easily get a future GPU and just slot it into this system. ANd hell maybe in 2 generations a new AM5 CPU.
if you are doing a 1000w PSU you have the power for a 6950xt. XFX models have dipped to $580 previously and that would clobber any 1440p you throw at the monitor. Future cards would only improve in areas like 4K, lower power draw, and cooling but not functionally change what you can play.

• 1Like

Jovec

?
So decided to go with this: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/N64gsh

I've been buying parts over last couple months. In the end everything was about $1500. Which was about my max budget. I wanted room to grow, so AM5 board(though that cpu should last) and a hefty PSU. The ram I chose because I wanted low profile(and I dont care at all for RGB) to fit under the cooler.

Was tired of missing games or future games, because my old ass i5 6500 and 1070 was too low.

Arguably it's a shit generation unless you go 4090 (for outright performance) or 4070 (for efficiency). This gen's best ability is availablity.

AMD 6000 -> 7000 is fairly tame. 6800XT is a fine card and will play anything that the 6950xt would, with either slightly lower settings or lower FPS. 7900XT(X) VRam increase isn't likely going to matter anytime for the next few years either. I think Nvidia's RT performance advantage matters more across their stack than AMD's. Going up to something like a 4070ti/4080/4090 has a decent chance of making RT useful without too much performance loss, while on AMD's side going up the stack from 6800xt/6950xt/7900XT(X) is still mostly about raster grunt - if the 6800xt chokes with RT on then the 6950xt will also. I know 7000 series improves the RT cores but at best they are NV3000 level (and sometimes not even that).

• 1Like

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Arguably it's a shit generation unless you go 4090 (for outright performance) or 4070 (for efficiency). This gen's best ability is availablity.

AMD 6000 -> 7000 is fairly tame. 6800XT is a fine card and will play anything that the 6950xt would, with either slightly lower settings or lower FPS. 7900XT(X) VRam increase isn't likely going to matter anytime for the next few years either. I think Nvidia's RT performance advantage matters more across their stack than AMD's. Going up to something like a 4070ti/4080/4090 has a decent chance of making RT useful without too much performance loss, while on AMD's side going up the stack from 6800xt/6950xt/7900XT(X) is still mostly about raster grunt - if the 6800xt chokes with RT on then the 6950xt will also. I know 7000 series improves the RT cores but at best they are NV3000 level (and sometimes not even that).

Yeah if I could afford a 4090 I would but would also be way overkill for me. I was on a pretty tight budget. And the main reason I would of went with nvidia if i could, was the power efficiency. As mentioned, I don't really care for RT or DLSS or FSR. Hell I still turn down shadows, lighting, water/skybox etc just for a smoother play.

Daidraco

Yeah if I could afford a 4090 I would but would also be way overkill for me. I was on a pretty tight budget. And the main reason I would of went with nvidia if i could, was the power efficiency. As mentioned, I don't really care for RT or DLSS or FSR. Hell I still turn down shadows, lighting, water/skybox etc just for a smoother play.
Its hindsight 20/20 now, but I went with the best of everything for my computer. 13900 processor, Strix 4090, etc. Ive played a couple games where I really got to take advantage of it, but they just arent the norm for me. It makes me feel good to be able to brag about my computer for once, especially since its custom built - but by and large, its wasted on me. I think the next one Ill build will be maybe in a couple years if I dont get crazy with trading up on my current build, Ill do a custom water loop on a new build. Cause really, the most fun I had with my computer was putting it all together and syncing up the bright white LED's (which I said I'd never do, until Amazon accidentally sent me some high end LED fans instead of some cheap fans and the next thing I know - Im spending 100's more on matching LED fans to finish out the cases air flow.)

That being said, the comparisons people are talking about is taking into account that they have an older 30x0 series or a 20x0 series. My g/f has a 2070 Super, and her computer is running everything we play together at max/ultra all the same at 120hz/fps. If you look up the performance, the 4060 is just a cut above the 2070 Super and last I checked, they were fucking bottom dollar price at something stupid low like $300 bucks. If you're coming from like a 16 series, or lower - the 4060 is a hell of an upgrade. Not only because of the performance, but in the 1080 TI comparison - the software that a 40x0 series card will enable you to run high frame rates because it can take advantage of DLSS 3 etc.

Malakriss

Alienware/Dell had a convoluted deal earlier today to get a PNY 4070 Ti for $700. ~20% advantage vs a 6950XT but they are usually $800+ and 4080 still $1000+. I appreciate some retailers are trying to give discounts but the base price on 40XX is simply too high.

Jovec

?
the base price on 40XX is simply too high.

I think Nvidia would rather use wafers for high dollar/high profit AI chips. It's clear they are moving towards frame gen on the low/mid range being the only way to get decent FPS, since swapping cuda for tensor cores seems to be a net die space savings for them. And AMD I'm sure is happy too with the current GPU pricing - they still need to come in at $50-$200 less than NV but they can do that now at higher base prices. Consumers will upgrade less often, so NV and AMD will push prices even higher to compensate for the increased upgrade cycles.... The 4060 and 7600 are barely upgrades for consumers versus previous gen. Their biggest benefits are probably their cost to manufacturer versus the models they replace.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
AMD I'm sure is happy too with the current GPU pricing

I'm not so sure, In 8 months the 7900XT's MSRP has had to drop by $100 + free Starfield, and it's still not selling without extra discounts. 300W card with 20G vram can't be all that cheap to make.

7900xt.jpg

Jovec

?
I'm not so sure, In 8 months the 7900XT's MSRP has had to drop by $100 + free Starfield, and it's still not selling without extra discounts. 300W card with 20G vram can't be all that cheap to make.

View attachment 486442

7900XT was just priced badly - likely to keep enough separation between itself and the 6800XT/6900XT/6950XT. Or to force move 6000 series stock. The $100 separation between the XT and XTX was also a mistake - almost everyone willing to buy a $900 GPU would be willing the buy the full $1000 GPU. Nvidia has a $300 MSRP gap between the 80-90 cards which makes it a harder decision. That price gap is even bigger with partner models between AMD and Nvidia.

The XTX sits just below the $1200 MSRP 4080 and the XT needed to sit below the 4070ti MSRP once Nvidia launched it. My point was that AMD doesn't want to go back to $200 midrange, $400 high end, $600 halo pricing anymore than Nvidia wants to.

And the 7900XT is "cheap" to make in that it uses harvested XTX dies and chiplet MCDs so there is little wasted silicon.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well new PC is built. With parts listed on previous link.

Had a easy time installing, but when it came to getting it to boot to windows installer USB it was a bitch.

PC would just loop between post and mobo screen. Could enter bio zero issue. Spent hours thinking it was the usb or something.Tried CSM on, fast boot off etc, nothing. Finally reseated GPU and memory, still nothing. Figure ok, lets bypass gpu and just plug into DP port in mobo, since bio was seeing the ram no issue. Booted into windows install with zero issue. Got into windows, DL GPU drivers, installed and tried again to see if I could use DP on GPU. Nada, same boot loop, never starts windows. Try the HDMI on GPU, works fine. Finally figured out, ok its the fucking DP ports on the GPU, might have to RMA. Since the cable worked fine to mobo. Still I decided to try another cable for shits, since I had an extra. Plugged new cable into GPU, zero issues. So something about my old DP cable the GPU didn't like at all, even though the mobo worked fine with it.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Well new PC is built. With parts listed on previous link.

Had a easy time installing, but when it came to getting it to boot to windows installer USB it was a bitch.

PC would just loop between post and mobo screen. Could enter bio zero issue. Spent hours thinking it was the usb or something.Tried CSM on, fast boot off etc, nothing. Finally reseated GPU and memory, still nothing. Figure ok, lets bypass gpu and just plug into DP port in mobo, since bio was seeing the ram no issue. Booted into windows install with zero issue. Got into windows, DL GPU drivers, installed and tried again to see if I could use DP on GPU. Nada, same boot loop, never starts windows. Try the HDMI on GPU, works fine. Finally figured out, ok its the fucking DP ports on the GPU, might have to RMA. Since the cable worked fine to mobo. Still I decided to try another cable for shits, since I had an extra. Plugged new cable into GPU, zero issues. So something about my old DP cable the GPU didn't like at all, even though the mobo worked fine with it.
It's always DNS or a cable.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's funny that is all a GPU is when you remove all the cooling/plastic. That PCB board behind the water block.