Desktop Computers

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Tests have shown you can get a lot of performance out of those CPUs at very low watts, so it really shouldn't be a big deal.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
So with the Amazon sale I've been waiting for, the 5600x is not on sale, but the 5700x is. I looked at the specs, and frankly I'm not impressed with the 5700x. Am I missing something?
you get the same american sale prices and no crazy ass shipping w/ amazon while in japan?

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
you get the same american sale prices and no crazy ass shipping w/ amazon while in japan?

the 5600x is $159 in USD and 23000 yen which is almost the exact same price yeah. Amazon has its own warehouses etc in Japan so shipping is free with prime.

Some stuff is considerably cheaper, like the mobo I got. I got a B550 Tomahawk which is $170 USD on Amazon US but only 17790 yen which is $119

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Sorry to be such a noob and coming back with these dumbass questions, but here we go again.

I purchased this because my old SSD's are really too small to install BG3. From what I understand it should work in this no problem, but my question is thus:

The Motherboard has two M.2 slots:
  • M2_1 slot (from AMD Processor)
    • Supports PCIe 4.0/ 3.0 x4
    • Supports SATA 6Gb/s
    • Supports 2242/ 2260/ 2280/ 22110 storage devices
  • M2_2 slot (from AMD B550 chipset)
    • Supports PCIe 3.0x4
    • Supports 2242/ 2260/ 2280 storage devices
I believe the SSD I've selected should work in either, but will there be a performance increase from using the 2_1 slot, or should I just pop it into the 2_2 slot and save the 2_1 slot since it's compatible with more things?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Sorry to be such a noob and coming back with these dumbass questions, but here we go again.

I purchased this because my old SSD's are really too small to install BG3. From what I understand it should work in this no problem, but my question is thus:

The Motherboard has two M.2 slots:
  • M2_1 slot (from AMD Processor)
    • Supports PCIe 4.0/ 3.0 x4
    • Supports SATA 6Gb/s
    • Supports 2242/ 2260/ 2280/ 22110 storage devices
  • M2_2 slot (from AMD B550 chipset)
    • Supports PCIe 3.0x4
    • Supports 2242/ 2260/ 2280 storage devices
I believe the SSD I've selected should work in either, but will there be a performance increase from using the 2_1 slot, or should I just pop it into the 2_2 slot and save the 2_1 slot since it's compatible with more things?
The nvme you posted is pcie3 so all else being equal it would work around max performance in either slot.

The big caveat is usually that boards can only actually support slot 1 at max throughput, but in your case that's gen 4 and that's a gen 3 drive anyway. If you are going to buy a gen 4 nvme you might consider leaving 1 open for now like you said, otherwise just use it.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
The nvme you posted is pcie3 so all else being equal it would work around max performance in either slot.

The big caveat is usually that boards can only actually support slot 1 at max throughput, but in your case that's gen 4 and that's a gen 3 drive anyway. If you are going to buy a gen 4 nvme you might consider leaving 1 open for now like you said, otherwise just use it.

Got it, thank you!

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Got it, thank you!
take note, when you use nvme on these chipsets (not the baller chipsets) you will use up sata lanes, so you'll loose access to 1,2 or 4 sata slots, if you decide to connect your ssd's and wonder why you can't "see" them.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
i would not bet on your power supply being up to snuff w/ modern components, it's been since covid since i built my old (i call it old) 5600 htpc and i remember it using 8pin mb aux power, i checked what mb your pc uses and it'd be something like a z77 board and they have 4pins, even tho some power supplies "back then" came w/ an 8pin that you can split into 2x4pin, i don't think anybody here would advocate you use a 10year old power supply.

not to mention, the 5600x is probably the upper limit of that power supply, most cpus are now using 8+4pins even 8+8pins

for reference these are the cpu power connections, usually referred to as eps cables
6a7553c2d51489f917ec3e24247069a9.png

it's the top left bank of 2x 8pin connectors, basically as cpus got more power hungry they added more pins to the atx connector from 20 to 20+4, then they added 4pin eps, then 8pin eps, etc...

i mean in all likely hood your powersupply has a split 2x4pin eps power and you can use tbh, now using that along w/ a "modern" video card, were getting even more sketchy

i just would not say you "have" a powersupply handy,

also storage, does that mean you never got a ssd either? and youre running on a regular "hard drive" that spins up and goes whirrr? cuz wow a ssd hard drive will change your life (of course we'd all say get a nvme).

I'm not sure if you were right or not. Tried to do my install today and either the Mobo was DOA OR there's a compatibility problem with my power supply.

My current computer uses a 4+4 pin into the 8 socket mobo slot. so I assumed that would be fine in the new one. But maybe not? I couldn't get the New mobo to draw power at all, no LED's, nothing even when completely stripped and bench tested.

I went back to the old parts and the old computer works fine, so the power supply isn't faulty or anything.

Not sure if DOA or what. I'm going to send it back to Amazon regardless and pick something else. Any recommendations for something that will fit a 5600x?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm not sure if you were right or not. Tried to do my install today and either the Mobo was DOA OR there's a compatibility problem with my power supply.

My current computer uses a 4+4 pin into the 8 socket mobo slot. so I assumed that would be fine in the new one. But maybe not? I couldn't get the New mobo to draw power at all, no LED's, nothing even when completely stripped and bench tested.

I went back to the old parts and the old computer works fine, so the power supply isn't faulty or anything.

Not sure if DOA or what. I'm going to send it back to Amazon regardless and pick something else. Any recommendations for something that will fit a 5600x?
were you able to even get the led's on when you plugged in the board and powersupply? (standard led's)

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
MB might need a BIOS flash depending on the BIOS version on it. See what # the sticker on it says and then look it up on the maker's site and see if it supports your CPU.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
were you able to even get the led's on when you plugged in the board and powersupply? (standard led's)

Nope. No LED's. Nadda. Couldn't get a peep out of it.

I'm looking at this for my next choice. It should be compatible with the internal SSD and Ram I chose.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Thats the problem with getting a DOA part for a build. You dont know wtf is going on, whether you fucked something up or the part is actually DOA.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
So question time again!

my current compy has a Asus Xonar Essence ST sound card in it. I bought it in like... 2014 or 15 or so, it's an older one.

The new motherboard I'm getting will either have a Realtek ALC S1200A 7.1 or Realtek ALC892/ALC897.

Is it worth transferring across the sound card to the new machine, or are those built-in Realteks equivalent or better than what I'm using?

Edit: My headphones are these if it matters

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I hate the Realtek stuff. I have switched to external USB sound devices exclusively.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I hate the Realtek stuff. I have switched to external USB sound devices exclusively.
yea the greatest headache saver was getting a fosi dac and using the realtek toslink and not having to deal w/ weird phantom driver/noise/sound issues that prop up

i can hear sound on chrome but not firefox and videos don't play sound but i can zoom...