Desktop Computers

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I mean if you don't buy from a quality SI and instead save some dollars on Newegg, you're just much more likely to have to tweak things, fix some items, RMA, etc. The parts are just whatever they are, but the labor can be a poor value if you're looking for quality.

It takes like an hour to put together a modern PC if you're being careful.
Never heard of ABS Computers, are they crap? All the brands I remember went out of business or are shells of their former self thru buyouts - I'm looking at you Alienware.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Never heard of ABS Computers, are they crap? All the brands I remember went out of business or are shells of their former self thru buyouts - I'm looking at you Alienware.

Falcon Northwest is still around.

If you want a deal that you can get out of when it doesn't work get something at Costco.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
I've built PCs in the past but I'm so swamped right now with life that a pre-built might be in my future.

Any thoughts on this guy for $1899US

• Windows 11 Home
  • Intel Core i7 14700KF Processor
  • MSI Ventus RTX 4070 TI GPU
  • MSI B760-VC Motherboard
  • TeamGroup Delta RGB 32GB RAM
  • Kingston 1TB NVMe SSD
  • Thermaltake 240MM RGB Liquid Cooler
  • ABS ATX 750W PSU
  • ABS Stratos S200 Case
  • 18.11" x 8.27" x 15.56" Dimension
  • WiFi and Bluetooth enabled
  • VR Ready
I currently run a GTX 1080 founders edtion on a DELL AW3418DW

I mostly play Vampire Survivors.

Ive had an ABS machine for like 2+ years now. havent had any problems

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You fucking nerds, help me! I even posted a funny.

Also, I love you.
if you parted out the parts on partpicker it's well over the sticker price, but it's not something anyone here would "choose" to put in their own system.

lets just start at the heart of the pc...
yea the psu, i'm sure no one would ever suggest to put in an abs psu, sure abs is neweggs custom pc arm, but for the same cost or $30 more (and not being able to find much "new" info on their psu), i'd gladly substitute a seasonic/corsair/evga

and that will be the theme of the pc

the parts will be

"good enough"
but no one would ever really get a bottom of the rung kingston 1tb nvme (which is probably pci3) and would pay "a bit more" for a gen4/gen5 for a crutial p3/wd black 870, etc

but then, you get a pre made system shipped to you, all you have to do it connect it and turn it on and you get neweggs wonderful warranty that no one says is super sus

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

ABS is an in house brand of Newegg. GN reviewed one of it PCs a few years ago and it was at least competently built for the most part.

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I mean if you don't buy from a quality SI and instead save some dollars on Newegg, you're just much more likely to have to tweak things, fix some items, RMA, etc. The parts are just whatever they are, but the labor can be a poor value if you're looking for quality.

It takes like an hour to put together a modern PC if you're being careful.

Lies! It took me six hour to put together my overly expensive nightmare.

Synj Synj you live near a microcenter?

• 1Like

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
Lies! It took me six hour to put together my overly expensive nightmare.

Synj Synj you live near a microcenter?
Nah. I used to have Fry’s Electronics which had a surprisingly robust PC parts inventory.

I know it’s not all that hard to build, I’m just being lazy and not wanting to fall into the typical analysis paralysis that generally occurs when trying to figure out my optimal build.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nah. I used to have Fry’s Electronics which had a surprisingly robust PC parts inventory.

I know it’s not all that hard to build, I’m just being lazy and not wanting to fall into the typical analysis paralysis that generally occurs when trying to figure out my optimal build.
I haven't used one in forever, so I can't recommend anything but surely there are places that will let you pick and choose your parts and then ship you a completed system. If they start with a decent base system and let you pick upgrades from a reasonable selection, that should save most of the paralysis I would think.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
8GB was fine for GTX 1080s back in 2016. 12GB has issues with 4K and bus bandwidth in general. 16GB is acceptable right now, not even considering future growth.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
That all depends on what resolution youre running with. 8 gigs is perfectly fine for 2K or 1K. And im sure hes not running on 4K with his 1080. 8 gig 4060 is perfectly fine for a mid range rig.

Jovec

?
12GB+ for any gpu, dont let Nvidia push that bullshit.

Agree. Texture quality is almost entirely dependent on VRAM and high quality textures will have virtually no impact on FPS, even on a budget card (assuming enough VRAM). The impact of too little VRAM is bigger on budget cards too, since they tend to have reduced PCIe lanes and memory bandwidth. HUB has a recent video showing 4GB vs 8GB on a 6500XT, but they also have other videos where things like a 8GB 3070 has bad frame pacing compared to 16GB 6800 even for RT enabled games once they VRAM is filled. Or modern games where 8GB isn't enough for all the eye candy.

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Also consider that a top end machine will probably last you 5+ years, probably even longer if you don't upgrade monitors before your pc. With inflation as it is, buying a monster machine now might be a better deal than a mid-range every 2ish years.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
2ish years is a bit of overstatement isnt it? I bought my rig at the beginning of covid in 2021 and its still perfectly fine today with my 3070. Plays everything I throw at it. Also fuck paying $1200+ for a video card.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
My last PC was an i7 4779K with 16gb and lasted a decade. I upgraded the graphics card twice and changed from HHD -> SSD -> NVMe (on PCIe adapter). It really only matters if you do super high end graphics stuff at this point.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
My last PC was an i7 4779K with 16gb and lasted a decade. I upgraded the graphics card twice and changed from HHD -> SSD -> NVMe (on PCIe adapter). It really only matters if you do super high end graphics stuff at this point.
My last PC lasted like 5-6 yrs with a 1070, upgraded to 9600K, and now my kid is playing on it with his 3060ti.

Last edited:

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
My COVID PC with a 3080 is sitting in a closet right now, bc I bought a 4090 rig. 😬