Desktop Computers

Jilariz_sl

shitlord
X99 boards with PCI-E 3.0 and 4 lanes for NVME, bandwidth is 3.94GB/s. PCI-E 4.0 doubles the bandwidth per lane, so we could see an 8GB/s storage interface in a month or two. As to when there will be a drive that can take advantage of that, who knows, but I imagine we will have ~4GB/s read/write Samsung NVME drive by the end of the year.

It will be awesome to see this stuff take hold of the marketplace and forever obsolete hard drives. Oh the countless hours I've spent over the past decades, waiting on hard drives. Ugh.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
X99 boards with PCI-E 3.0 and 4 lanes for NVME, bandwidth is 3.94GB/s. PCI-E 4.0 doubles the bandwidth per lane, so we could see an 8GB/s storage interface in a month or two. As to when there will be a drive that can take advantage of that, who knows, but I imagine we will have ~4GB/s read/write Samsung NVME drive by the end of the year.

It will be awesome to see this stuff take hold of the marketplace and forever obsolete hard drives. Oh the countless hours I've spent over the past decades, waiting on hard drives. Ugh.
PCI-E 4.0 won't be out until 2017.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
i'm going to buy a 980 TI but my local microcenter doesn't have any of the overclocked models (preferably EVGA) that i wanted in stock, all they have is the base ASUS model. would i be doing myself a huge disservice by buying the ASUS model instead of getting an overclocked one or is the difference negligible?

Woefully Inept

Ssraeszha Raider
While there isn't an ASUS card on the list here are some benchmarks OC vs. non-OC 980ti's with a bunch of other cards too for comparison. The difference doesn't look that significant.

BigPic.jpg

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
i'm going to buy a 980 TI but my local microcenter doesn't have any of the overclocked models (preferably EVGA) that i wanted in stock, all they have is the base ASUS model. would i be doing myself a huge disservice by buying the ASUS model instead of getting an overclocked one or is the difference negligible?
I would go with one with a factory overclock because you don't want to be fucking around with TDP/voltage tweaks on that thing yourself if you don't know what you're doing.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
While there isn't an ASUS card on the list here are some benchmarks OC vs. non-OC 980ti's with a bunch of other cards too for comparison. The difference doesn't look that significant.

[BIG FUCKING CHART]
That is like the least readable chart I've ever seen in my life.

Kovaks

Mr. Poopybutthole
Based in the link you posted it looks like the kingpin followed by the hydro. If you don't want to go that extreme then superclocked+... whatever you get make sure it has ATX2 there were issues with version 1

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
i just spent like $2K at microcenter and haven't even bought the GPU yet -- da fuck is wrong with me

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I can't figure out what a safe overclock for this GTX 980 reference card I got from Best Buy is.

I don't usually fuck with this shit.