Desktop Computers

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Why in the world are they benchmarking graphics performance at a 640x480 setting?
So they can remove any GPU bottlenecking and test the full saturation of the PCIe bus. It's actually a pretty interesting result.

HARDOCP's test methodology is actually the best here, because they give an apples to apples comparison at the same clock speeds for both the CPU and memory, then bump up the memory to show those performance gains.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
is USB 3.1 backwards compatible with USB 3.0 hubs? i.e., if upgrading to a motherboard that supports 3.1, will the front USB ports on my chasis see the benefit?
There's almost certainly no USB devices that actually use those speeds so it's likely not relevant.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Man, the Skylake processors for the first time have made me not want to do a new build like I've been doing for the past 2 years. May just upgrade the 780 Ti to 2 x 980 Ti's like I'd originally planned.

Damnit, I really like building new computers too.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
But don't you want all the sweet sweet PCIe bandwidth? Oh wait, if you wanted that you'd already have an X99 based PC.

Welp, if you're going to spring for the high end overclocked memory I do think you can find the performance benefits of Skylake if you really want to.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
The one thing I hope is that prices drop a little since Skylake is out. That extra minimal bump isn't for me but I am in the market for the current 'old' gen.

Probably doing like a $900 build.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Buying last gen shit is retarded, assuming like $90 dollars difference max between the total platform cost, if Intel is serious about getting those 1000x-faster-than-NAND based SSDs out in 2016. Those things will definitely have to be on PCIe cards and will want that Skylake bandwidth for sure.

Oh well, maybe Skylake-E will be cool.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Kind of a disappointing upgrade from my 3570k. Not sure what to do. Wanted to get a miniITX/ATX set up this time around. Guess I'll stick with my microATX and wait for Pascal? Don't think getting a 980ti and a 1440 monitor is really what I want to do yet.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Mini itx in a smaller case and 1TB ssd. Probably don't need a video card either. Also dvd/br is probably useless too.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I never liked mini-itx or whatever, i just repurpose old gear. This is of course if you don't care about the pc looking nice on the av rack. Even then i see the av rack going away soon.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Advice sought. Thru some really odd happenings I'm in a posistion to decide what we do in the IT department at work now. How that is my job nobody knows....I fired our IT guy (he kind of fired himself when he revealed to the president he looked up my pay and how much my company credit card had for a limt). Anyway the president doesn't want our new IT guy making any purhase decisions outside of "it broke, fix it" stuff right now. I dunno.

Anyway we have office 2010 now, worth it to upgrade to 2013 pro plus? Money not really an issue. I don't have the first clue. The only thing I do at work with any of it is send an email and ocassional write something in word. The people that use really haven't offered much of an opinion either. It was on the todo list of our last IT guy, so I'm supposed to look into it.

It would be like me asking here to tell me the best welding wire/rods for welding c276. Lost as a goose.

Jilariz_sl

shitlord
If you are concerned about staying up to date with office, switch to the subscription based office 365. You can get subs that let you install office locally so it's just like having office 2013.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
If you are concerned about staying up to date with office, switch to the subscription based office 365. You can get subs that let you install office locally so it's just like having office 2013.
Yeah, if money was no object this is what I'd do. The web apps for Office 365 are very usable when you can't install shit locally or when you're on a mobile device. But you'll need an IT person to actually manage the sharepoint/onedrive for business bullshit, plus the Exchange bullshit. And you'll probably need to train people on how to actually use the document sharing features (gets fairly complex, you can have two or more people editing the same document at the same time some connecting through the web, some through a mobile app and some through the full desktop app), if you want to get the most use out of it.

How big is your company?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I don't think we really would need all that. We 300 employees in the company, but only 35 work at a computer. Most of those are billing and payroll. We have 4 people that travel (I'm one) and the only place we travel is to our other 2 offices where we really have no use for it on the road. I take my company phone for my email and that's it. There's really no document sharing for the most part. I would say only 6 people or so from the company even send emails outside the company. The other 2 locations only have 2 people in a non shop job and they just email us daily reports of where they are on a job and what's left type stuf. That's the people I visit so I really don't need access to anything on the road. We have surface pro's but why I have no idea. So far everyone that has traveled since I've been here takes a phone only. No idea why we needed surface pros for people to have it sit in an office. Our last IT guy.....told the president of the company it was impossible for him to check his company email on his iphone so we all got window phones.

We have an IT person now. He's just not allowed to sign off on the purchase of anything yet (other than what is needed on a day to day stuff).

Not once has anyone done a power point presentation etc...email being the biggest obviously, some of the other PM's used excel (I don't), and word. We are very non corporate lol.