Desktop Computers

Orcus_sl

shitlord
Nvidia Shield, with remote, and stand, for $160 at newegg. $150 on amazon currently without the stand, figured the combo with stand was a better deal.

Kind of an impulse buy, needed a streamer for my living room tv, was going to pick up a fire tv. Was also thinking about picking up an xbone or a ps4 for in there. This should let me stream games from my pc, so living room gaming problem and streaming device problem solved.

Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more - Newegg.com

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Yup. I didn't say all the components were borked. But ruining the mobo/gpu is pretty easy if you unscrew the GPU prior to moving, yank on the power cords connected to it and break (loosely using that term) the PCI male end and tear (also using that loosely) the mobo slot at the same time. So there's that.

Rest of the parts are already sold gogusrl.

Translation: I could probably/maybe fix the mobo with fair bit of work but I'd rather just buy a new computer, the GPU is 100% fucked and work is buying the parts I know that are in working conditions so yolo?
Just RMA the GPU.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Might give that a whirl Mist, thanks.

This is rough and dirty my new build:

CPU:Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler:NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard:Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory:G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2800 Memory
Storage:Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage:Intel 750 Series 400GB PCI-E Solid State Drive
Storage:Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drivex 2
Storage:Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drivex 2
Video Card:EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Cardx 2
Case:Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply:SeaSonic 1050W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System:Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit)
Case Fan:Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fanx 4
Monitor:Dell U2412M 60Hz 24.0" Monitor
Monitor:Dell S2240M 60Hz 21.5" Monitor($129.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor:Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q 144Hz 27.0" Monitor
Keyboard:Logitech G710 Plus Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse:SteelSeries Sensei - Fnatic Wired Laser Mouse
Headphones:Logitech G930 7.1 Channel Headset

Haven't actually ordered the second GPU yet but it'll likely happen pretty soon - probably after I get a 4k G-Sync monitor. As for why the 32 GB of RAM, I've been doing a bit of CAD work with massive files for work (likely still overkill but so is this whole stupid system). The RAM isn't right either, but PCPartPicker didn't have my RAM listed. Going to have to mod the case a lil bit if I'm feeling up to it to properly put the two green drives in the back/secondary portion of the case but they may up in our HTPC, haven't completely decided yet (got those on sale a few weeks back for a stupid cheap price). The 840 Pro is coming from my current build which work didn't need, just gonna throw a SanDisk 240 GB SSD in that computer since those were on sale for $55~ today.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Ordered all my shit:
Microcenter - $450-$25 rebate
Z150XP-SLI MOBO
EVGA Supernova 750
Dell.com $130 after $200 gift card
GTX970

Newegg:$330-25 rebate -$25 Amex credit
16GB 2666 DDR4
ENERMAX iVektor ECA3310A-W White ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com
M.2 850 Evo 500gb

Grand total: about 900 out of pocket tax and all.

Looking for two things now:
a good storage solution, either a bigass sATA driver or something else.
A 980ti. If I can find a deal I'm going to buy one and just sell the 970 on Ebay. Otherwise I'll buy another 970 and SLI once I find a great deal.
Also where's a good place to buy quality case fans that aren't $16 bucks?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
This is rough and dirty my new build
Why are you spending a small fortune on this computer and then buying two shitty little monitors? Such a waste

That computer should be running dual 1440p monitors or a 4k. That's ridiculous overkill for 2 small 60hz 1080p monitors.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Someone convince me not to buy this Acer 1440p 144hz thing. Is the QC really that bad? Is there another 1440p 144hz option on the horizon I haven't heard about?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Might give that a whirl Mist, thanks.

This is rough and dirty my new build:

CPU:Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler:NZXT Kraken X61 106.1 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard:Asus MAXIMUS VIII HERO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory:G.Skill TridentZ Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-2800 Memory
Storage:Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage:Intel 750 Series 400GB PCI-E Solid State Drive
Storage:Western Digital Caviar Green 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drivex 2
Storage:Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drivex 2
Video Card:EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ Video Cardx 2
Case:Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply:SeaSonic 1050W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System:Microsoft Windows 10 Pro OEM (64-bit)
Case Fan:Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition 67.8 CFM 140mm Fanx 4
Monitor:Dell U2412M 60Hz 24.0" Monitor
Monitor:Dell S2240M 60Hz 21.5" Monitor($129.99 @ Amazon)
Monitor:Asus ROG SWIFT PG278Q 144Hz 27.0" Monitor
Keyboard:Logitech G710 Plus Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse:SteelSeries Sensei - Fnatic Wired Laser Mouse
Headphones:Logitech G930 7.1 Channel Headset

Haven't actually ordered the second GPU yet but it'll likely happen pretty soon - probably after I get a 4k G-Sync monitor. As for why the 32 GB of RAM, I've been doing a bit of CAD work with massive files for work (likely still overkill but so is this whole stupid system). The RAM isn't right either, but PCPartPicker didn't have my RAM listed. Going to have to mod the case a lil bit if I'm feeling up to it to properly put the two green drives in the back/secondary portion of the case but they may up in our HTPC, haven't completely decided yet (got those on sale a few weeks back for a stupid cheap price). The 840 Pro is coming from my current build which work didn't need, just gonna throw a SanDisk 240 GB SSD in that computer since those were on sale for $55~ today.
If youre dropping that much money I would go with some samsung 512gb 950 pro nvme SSDs instead of the 840 pro and 750. Same performance has the 750 series but less price and since its nvme you get the added benefit of not worrying about cable management and placement.

Amazon.com: Samsung 950 PRO -Series 512GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD 2-Inch MZ-V5P512BW: Computers Accessories

Also logitech 500s for $30 + tax;

Laser Gaming Mouse - G500s - Logitech

Just go through the process of buying it, registering an account. Dont complete the purchase just let it sit there and then after 10-15 minutes you should get an email offering free shipping.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
The G500s is fucking awful. The only thing good about my 500s is that I told Logitech how shitty it was and they gave me a G502 for free.

The firmware on the G500s is unfixably bad and it lags like shit on most setups.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Yes. Firmware update made it only slightly less terrible.

There's a reason they didn't sell them for very long.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
If youre dropping that much money I would go with some samsung 512gb 950 pro nvme SSDs instead of the 840 pro and 750. Same performance has the 750 series but less price and since its nvme you get the added benefit of not worrying about cable management and placement.

Amazon.com: Samsung 950 PRO -Series 512GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 Internal SSD 2-Inch MZ-V5P512BW: Computers Accessories

Also logitech 500s for $30 + tax;

Laser Gaming Mouse - G500s - Logitech

Just go through the process of buying it, registering an account. Dont complete the purchase just let it sit there and then after 10-15 minutes you should get an email offering free shipping.
Uh... the 750 is an NVMe drive. They have different form-factors if that is what you're referring to?... Also the 840 Pro just on my current build, I didn't actually purchase it for the new build...

The Mouse/Headphones/Monitors aren't new, probably should have clarified that. The Steel Series Sensei is the best mouse I've used, no way would I replace it with whatever the hell that thing is. I doubt I'll ever purchase from Logitech again after the complete fucking piece of junk the Logitech G930's turned out to be. The WORST driver support I've ever experienced with a piece of hardware. You can't even fucking install their own software unless you want to turn the headphones into a paperweight. And this has been going on for YEARS with the G930's, I guess shame on me for not reading about that prior to buying but none of the reviews seemed to mention that. The keyboard... eh, whatever. Nothing to write home about. Seriously though, fuck Logitech forever. The mouse I had previous to the Steel Series was a Logitech mouse now that I think about it and that thing died just barely 2 years after buying it.

The only shit I bought for this new build is the CPU, Cooler, Mobo, Intel SSD, PSU, RAM, Case, and GPU. All of the other parts listed are being migrated from my old build.

PS fuck Logitech.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Goddamnit, do any of these panels not have crippling backlight issues yet? Looks like even the updated Acer/Asus offerings like a 50/50 if the thing is usable or not.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I'm going to just wholesale get rid of my HDD and start fresh on the SSD. Do I need to "unregister" or something my copy of Win7 current on the HDD to be able to instal it on the SSD?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Goddamnit, do any of these panels not have crippling backlight issues yet? Looks like even the updated Acer/Asus offerings like a 50/50 if the thing is usable or not.
A lot of those pictures are from people who have their brightness way too high.

Fiyero_sl

shitlord
Ordered all my shit:
Microcenter - $450-$25 rebate
Z150XP-SLI MOBO
EVGA Supernova 750
Dell.com $130 after $200 gift card
GTX970

Newegg:$330-25 rebate -$25 Amex credit
16GB 2666 DDR4
ENERMAX iVektor ECA3310A-W White ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com
M.2 850 Evo 500gb

Grand total: about 900 out of pocket tax and all.

Looking for two things now:
a good storage solution, either a bigass sATA driver or something else.
A 980ti. If I can find a deal I'm going to buy one and just sell the 970 on Ebay. Otherwise I'll buy another 970 and SLI once I find a great deal.
Also where's a good place to buy quality case fans that aren't $16 bucks?
What 970 did you go with, Gigabyte? Msi?