Desktop Computers

Alexzander

Golden Knight of the Realm
I don't think I've ever used all of my 16 gigs of RAM and I play a bunch of unoptimized indy games with memory leaks.

Orcus_sl

shitlord
Final Black Friday/Cyber Monday haul:

Logitech G502 - $40 ($70 on amazon now) - my beloved mx518 is dying, short in the cord, have to continually unplug and plug it back in these days, I will frame it and hang it on my wall, my favorite piece of pc equipment all-time.

Logitech G910 Orion Spark - $90 ($140 on amazon now) - my MS sidewinder has seen better days, the last straw was a direct hit coffee spill a couple of weeks ago, numpad is all fucked up.

I don't upgrade my peripherals often, the mouse/keyboard I'm replacing I've used for years. The G502 shape looks vaguely like the mx518s, so crossing my fingers on that one.

Amazon Fire tv - $75 ($100 regular) - new streamer for LG 60pb6650 plasma in bedroom, trying to run slingtv on an old mhl roku stick is torture.
Nvidia Shield + remote + stand - $160 (back to $280 now) - new steamer/gaming unit for vt60 plasma in living room. The built-in smart function is old, no slingtv.

I think the logitech peripherals will go well with my next pc im prepping. I have an old, first generation rv02 raven that I have retooled with ap181s, a new usb 3.0 front io assembly to replace the old 2.0 io, and black hardware. The rivets are silver, but eh what are ya gonna do. The blue leds and sort of b-movie sci-fi aesthetics of the raven should go well with the blue-lit logitech peripherals.

Here she is, ready for parts.

fKZWKpN.jpg

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
So I bought that Dell G-sync monitor. Got it for $540 after discounts. Almost as good color as IPS, and none of the drawbacks.

A+

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Yeah, this thing is redonkulous. It looks insane in both Guild Wars 2 (a game with very good colors/art and inconsistent FPS making the gsync actually have to work) and also insane in SW Battlefront and JC3.

I have a hard time believing IPS is significantly better than a great Dell TN panel.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
120-144hz monitor is as big a difference in gaming as going from a platter to a ssd was imo. It may sound silly but I seriously could never live without 120hz minimum at this point.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Yeah, this thing is redonkulous. It looks insane in both Guild Wars 2 (a game with very good colors/art and inconsistent FPS making the gsync actually have to work) and also insane in SW Battlefront and JC3.

I have a hard time believing IPS is significantly better than a great Dell TN panel.
I have a Dell IPS monitor and doubt I'll be replacing it any time soon (U2412M). Such a nice monitor.

Mist if you haven't calibrated your monitor yet, this website is a really good place to start:ICC Profiles and Monitor Settings Database

Edit: Never mind, I'm retarded. One of your links is to the same website.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?

The biggest draw for IPS for me is viewing angle, as I tend to slouch and sit crosslegged and all kinds of stupid shit so not having the top/bottom of my screen grey out on me so badly would be lovely.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
I have a Dell IPS monitor and doubt I'll be replacing it any time soon (U2412M). Such a nice monitor.

Mist if you haven't calibrated your monitor yet, this website is a really good place to start:ICC Profiles and Monitor Settings Database

I have the Dell P2414H. Absolutely wonderful. Not sure I could go back to TN unless the picture quality gets really good. I don't play any twitchy games these days anyway.

Have TN panels improved much lately?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>

I manually calibrated it, aside from gamma. Problem with color profiles is some games like to ignore them, especially full screen.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
The biggest draw for IPS for me is viewing angle, as I tend to slouch and sit crosslegged and all kinds of stupid shit so not having the top/bottom of my screen grey out on me so badly would be lovely.
Vertical viewing angle on this is a lot better than my BenQ. Anti-glare matte finish is also way less grey.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
@kegkilla: I kinda want to punch you in the dick. There's not many companies I'd swear by when it comes to computer shit but Dell's monitors have my vote. I am 100% sold on them and would recommend them to anyone.

I manually calibrated it, aside from gamma. Problem with color profiles is some games like to ignore them, especially full screen.
Very true, but the site also has settings for the monitor itself, not the Windows settings correct? I thought I'd used it to setup my current Dell. Could be wrong I guess. I don't know color settings all that well which is why I found the website in the first place.

popsicledeath

Potato del Grande
I went for the 32Gb of RAM as I could afford it, and will never have to worry about changing it again.

More interested in opinions on that M.2 SSD though! seems to good a price to be true!
Good call on the RAM... where did you download it from?

If you have the capability for M2, then yes. SSD cheap enough these days I would look for something larger, though. Even two 128gb were getting annoying having to jocky game installs around. Damn Fall Out 4 is like 60 itself. SSD is an area nobody will fault you for going as big as you're comfortable affording.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
I ended up going with an EVGA 970 and some new 2400 RAM (was same price as expanding the 1333 I had so I figured why not just go all new). Insane difference. With all those cheap 970s flying around... Can you SLI one model of 970 to another (e.g. Zotac to EVGA)?
I've been researching this as well. Apparently you used to be able to with no problem, but a driver update last year made all models with different cooler specs incompatible.
EVGA FAQ Help Center

This concerns me. Thinking about just selling both 970s on ebay and buying a 980Ti.