Desktop Computers

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Unless DirectX 12 changes everything and actually makes multiple cores useful for gaming. It would be nice.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Fractal Define R5 is on sale today for $80 on SlickDeals FYI. I have two of them now. Great cases.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Looking at a GPU upgrade, as guild wants to play BDO. I have a 760 atm. I am looking around $300 range, so a 970 or r9 390. How do these compare? Seems odd that the AMD cards can have 8GB VRAM comapred to the 4 for nvidia cards but for the same price range. Plus it seems VRAM is getting more important in games, curious if I am better off getting a AMD card this time around.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
Hard to spend $300 on a GPU when pascal should launch sometime this year (prolly 2nd half).

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Yeah I'd hold off until pascal if I were you. If you can't, take the 970. What resolution do you game at?

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah I'd hold off until pascal if I were you. If you can't, take the 970. What resolution do you game at?
1900x1200. I could wait, but that's a long wait and not sure how my 760 is going to handle bdo.

Especially as I will be playing for the GvG, so lots of particles and don't really want people popping into screen cause I couldn't load them.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I got the game you were playing confused. I read BNS instead of BDO. No clue why. But yeah, it's pretty graphically intensive. Pascal should be out end of March for the lower cards and summer for the big boys. I expect shortages and price premiums too. If you have some cash to burn, a 970 would be just fine for that resolution.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yeah if guild didn't decide to do BDO I would of waited.

Guess I will look for a 970. Was only curious about AMD since same price range but I can get 8gb vram instead of 4.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I definitely plan to sell this 980 I got for 230 dollars at Best Buy for near or more than I paid for it, when the time comes.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
There's some crazy shit right here. The Sega IMB Terradrive is awesome.

I was building my own PCs in the 90s and I don't remember hardly any of these monstrosities. I did have a girlfriend whose family had a Gateway Destination though. I always had a bigass Computer Shopper magazine permanently parked in my bathroom each month. Quality toilet reading.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I really didn't want to upgrade, but finally gave in. My current rig (3770k, Z77 MB, 16G DDR3) started acting up. I would get short 1-2 second video freezes in game a few times a day. Then it progressed to Win10 equivalent of BSOD + reboots. The final straw was it seems like my onboard audio died entirely. It reports nothing is plugged into the ports, when it clearly is. Tried reinstalling audio drivers to no avail.

Anyway, I decided to try something new with a micro-ITX build. I went with a i7 6700k, Asus ROG Maximus Gene VIII mb, 32G DDR4 memory, 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2 SSD, Corsair 350D case, and Corsair H100i GTX cooler. Planning on re-using my Corsair AX1200i PSU and SLI 980Ti vid cards.

matsb84

Silver Knight of the Realm
Yeah..was waiting for prices to come down on these a bit more but got tired of waiting. I seem to recall they were around the $380 mark at one point last year. Going from an i7 920 (1366 socket\x58 chipset..2009) to this. Should be significant performance improvement. Should last me just as long I'd think. Also wanted to get one of the Samsung 950 m2 drives but decided to hold off and wait for prices to come down. Gotta think prices will drop on those significantly at some point.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
They have been like 329$ in store at Microcenter forever if you live near-ish to one.

Hachima

Molten Core Raider
I have to say eVGA has a great warranty/RMA process. The fans on my 780 GTX died so it would overheat in a few minutes and die when playing graphics intensive games. I went through basic trouble shooting steps myself. Submitted a RMA request and within 1 hour I was approved for a replacement with a 980 GTX FTW without any back and forth about the issue. So a nice free upgrade and no hassle in the process.