Desktop Computers

Palum

what Suineg set it to
If it's more efficient I presume it will run cooler IE I will def buy one. Heat is our mortal enemy down here and my 550 TI runs hot sucking power from dual 12V.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
my 550 TI runs hot sucking power from dual 12V.
swtmvsx.jpg

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Eh, it runs everything fine that it needs to. I can play pretty much every recent release that isn't vertex or voxel masturbation without a problem. BDO is probably the first game where it's actually taxed it on medium settings, so I started looking but I think I'll wait to see how the 1070 shakes out price wise as compared to the 980.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Only thing I don't like is the reference models coming in at higher price tags. With my obsession with going smaller form factor, I need the reference coolers. I just hope they are binned better or something.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So glad I bought evga. With the step up program I am just paying the difference for a 1070

BTW aprons you keep saying gflops but I think they're tflops

spronk

FPS noob
So glad I bought evga. With the step up program I am just paying the difference for a 1070

BTW aprons you keep saying gflops but I think they're tflops
damn I have an evga and just looked at that, you have 90 days from purchase date to step up and just pay the difference although there is a down time between when you send in your old card and get your new one (they don't cross ship).

I bought my 970 on 2/1 so my step up date expired 5/1
frown.png
Would have missed it no matter what I think, since I don't think you can probably step up to a 1070 or 1080 probably for another month? Still pretty cool although a hassle being without a card for a week or whatever.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah but I just built the pc and needed something. Someone in this thread told us about rhe evga thing. I can live with out a card for a couple weeks.

Also makes me believe evga is a good guy game company

Fulorian

Golden Knight of the Realm
Yeah but I just built the pc and needed something. Someone in this thread told us about rhe evga thing. I can live with out a card for a couple weeks.

Also makes me believe evga is a good guy game company
I have a feeling we're going to see a similar situation that we did when Maxwell released - IE, the retail channels were FLOODED with purchases - the instant 970s went on sale, 5 minutes later, they sold out. There was actually a website dedicated to capturing whenever a retailer put new 970s on sale, that's how I managed to get one in the first month after release. It was absolutely crazy how short the inventories were on 970s that first month. So if this is the case again, I think it pretty likely that EVGA will wait until the retailers aren't selling out instantly to ship you your step-up. So we'll see how you feel about them as the good guy game company when they have to choose between selling a new retail unit or shipping you your almost-free step up.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm OK with that man. A lot of companies wouldn't offer full retail price refunds at all. I'm in no rush for a 1070

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'm excited I bought my card from jet.com and they offer 30 day changed your mind returns. I'll have to go back to my old video card for a couple weeks but I'm not that worried about it.

If I can't find a 1070 I'll look at a 980ti for super cheap.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I built this a couple years ago:Intel Core i5-4670K, Asus Radeon R9 290, Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) - System Build - PCPartPicker

Added another 8gb RAM about a year ago. If I were to upgrade something, what would be the best bang for the buck? I'm not terribly experienced with mobo/cpu compatibility, is there a recent CPU that I could plop into this mobo for a noticeable performance increase? Regardless I'll probably be getting a second SSD so I can put some games on it, the 120 only really fits system shit.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I think that cpu is still good, no real use upgrading that now. Everything else looks good to me, just the gpu you could upgrade.

I finally got my pc built and it's amazing. For reference my last desktop was a Dell xps410 with a Core2duo and a Radeon 9800gts (upgraded from 7900gs). My last gaming pc was my laptop, a g73jh with a Radeon HD something or other. It was good in 2010...

This computer is such a beast: 6700k, 970gtx, 16gb ram, 500gb ssd. Blown away by the performance. I don't think you could get much more of a crazy difference between two desktop computers as mine.

Still have a fairly shitty monitor. I might buy a 24 inch Asus with 144hz and gsync pretty soon. Also eyeballing some corsair mechanical keyboards, I have a razer Arctosa now.

Sorry, just pretty excited after a pretty terrible weekend. And I'm drunk.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I think that cpu is still good, no real use upgrading that now. Everything else looks good to me, just the gpu you could upgrade.

I finally got my pc built and it's amazing. For reference my last desktop was a Dell xps410 with a Core2duo and a Radeon 9800gts (upgraded from 7900gs). My last gaming pc was my laptop, a g73jh with a Radeon HD something or other. It was good in 2010...

This computer is such a beast: 6700k, 970gtx, 16gb ram, 500gb ssd. Blown away by the performance. I don't think you could get much more of a crazy difference between two desktop computers as mine.

Still have a fairly shitty monitor. I might buy a 24 inch Asus with 144hz and gsync pretty soon. Also eyeballing some corsair mechanical keyboards, I have a razer Arctosa now.

Sorry, just pretty excited after a pretty terrible weekend. And I'm drunk.
Nice build, Noodle. I am waiting on monoprice to drop their 3440x1440p 21:9 monitor for $499. That'll use the lg panel too. They said April/May timeframe for release.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I built this a couple years ago:Intel Core i5-4670K, Asus Radeon R9 290, Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) - System Build - PCPartPicker

Added another 8gb RAM about a year ago. If I were to upgrade something, what would be the best bang for the buck? I'm not terribly experienced with mobo/cpu compatibility, is there a recent CPU that I could plop into this mobo for a noticeable performance increase? Regardless I'll probably be getting a second SSD so I can put some games on it, the 120 only really fits system shit.
With the price of SSDs being down, I'd grab another one and sit tight on the GPU to see the reviews and what AMD releases. You have options for sure.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?

New intel cpus are on a new socket, so you'd need a new mobo. Wouldn't bother with that route anyway, you'd see negligible gains in gaming from a new cpu right now.

New video card is really what you're looking at, and unless AMD pulls some miracle out of their ass (unlikely) it's a 1070 or 1080 at this point depending on your budget.

Fulorian

Golden Knight of the Realm
For gaming, Intel CPUs from 5 generations ago are just now becoming obsolete. It's crazy how little of a bottleneck they are in the modern era. A 4670k should be perfectly adequate for probably 5 more years, honestly. The difference between that and the i5 6700k is trivial.