Desktop Computers

Apollo64

N00b
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Anyone use a program that is basically an EQ for sound across all programs on your PC?

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone have a good recommendation for a strong power supply that works well with a 1070 GTX? Meaning, two 8 pin PCI-E connections which connect into the power supply (modular required)?

Right now I have determined that my current P/S and the way it is powering my GPU (One 2-6>8 pin PCI-E) and one adapter coming off a fan to 8 pin PCI-E) isn't working as when I so anything on my second display while playing a game the card crashes. (If I do nothing on the second display and just have it on, the game won't crash. As soon as I start surfing the net on the second display, while say, on a flight point in WoW, the card spins to 100% and black screens. (Card has been RMA'd and it still happens) and rumblings are this is a power supply issue. (The PS is a 700W Corsair, but it is from 2012)

Woah woah.. back off the PSU cliff... Sorry I couldn't have replied earlier, but there is a manufacturer's defect with the FTW cards! I too found out after the fact when I had purchased a 1080 FTW and had weird black screen issues. Later researched and there is a hardware fault and EVGA will replace your card for free.

After users' reports of EVGA FTW 1080 and 1070 cards displaying black screen issues, and sometimes even sparking and dying altogether, even at stock voltage, the company is now moving towards fixing the issue.

Apparently, the issue stems from the absence of any thermal pads over the VRM area of the FTW line of cards, which prompts higher operating temperatures. Some users were reporting heat transfer in such quantities that even the GDDR5X memory chips on the cards were being heated at 107 ºC, significantly over their rated operating temperatures of (0°C ≤ TC ≤ +95°C).

See:
EVGA has problems with GTX 1080/1070 FTW

EVGA GTX 1070/1080 Overheating Issues - Company Says Thermal Pads A Solution

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
@Utnayan I assume when you say you RMA'd it, you RMA'd back to Amazon or wherever you bought it? They likely just shipped you another faulty card from manufacturer. You have to RMA directly through EVGA to get a replacement card that has been hardware fixed.

Retail websites will have stock of faulty cards for a while.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
@Utnayan I assume when you say you RMA'd it, you RMA'd back to Amazon or wherever you bought it? They likely just shipped you another faulty card from manufacturer. You have to RMA directly through EVGA to get a replacement card that has been hardware fixed.

Retail websites will have stock of faulty cards for a while.
Yes, but he also directly stated that he attached it to his PSU all fucking janky, so who knows the real cause.

My FTW card is going to end up going back, despite the fact that the new bios that ups the fan curve stopped all my crashes.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Any good ways to watch for holiday deals on CPU/Mobo? I have everything else. Was just upgrading, but shit I'm so close might just finish build by end of year. Would be more inclined if I can find a deal.

Here's my build again. (outdated because i got that fancy PSU that was on sale a page ago) http://pcpartpicker.com/list/drWcM8

PCparts website is down so can't get in and check on prices. Will they be easiest way to watch best deals? Newegg had a cyber monday email. Nothing close to my cpu/mobo wishlist on the sale. Unsure if they will add more later or this is it for the sale.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Any last second suggestions for a mobo? I was looking at ASUS Z170-A LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com (Asus z170-A)

Friends were saying the z170's or whatever so I can overclock well later. Seemed like a good mix of ports especially since I have older monitor conections (1 hdmi one ... other old one)

Just a little leery of some of the negative comments even if there not that many. Just stuff like oh the sound sucks or issues with certain stuff. I dont need a wireless card built in since I have a router 6 inches away to plug into.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Any suggestions on a 1200p monitor that I will eventually move to be my secondary monitor when I finally feel like spending money on a good gsync one? I'd like to keep it to $300 or less but will go over that for a particularly good deal. Either type of panel is fine and I'd like to keep to 16x10, but beyond that I'm open to pretty much any suggestions. GPU is a 970 GTX. My current main monitor is an ancient 1680x1050 Viewsonic VX2240w that I should have replaced years ago.

I was looking at maybe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NZTKOQI, but the 6ms response time may annoy me. Then again I might not notice it theses days.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Any suggestions on a 1200p monitor that I will eventually move to be my secondary monitor when I finally feel like spending money on a good gsync one? I'd like to keep it to $300 or less but will go over that for a particularly good deal. Either type of panel is fine and I'd like to keep to 16x10, but beyond that I'm open to pretty much any suggestions. GPU is a 970 GTX. My current main monitor is an ancient 1680x1050 Viewsonic VX2240w that I should have replaced years ago.

I was looking at maybe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NZTKOQI, but the 6ms response time may annoy me. Then again I might not notice it theses days.

I bought 3 of those for my work/office PC a while back. They were refurbs from dell.com outlet store for like $120 each. Damn good deal, and they look great.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Really hoping some deal pops up on my alerts for one of those. If I don't end up getting a new TV for the living room a new monitor will be my Christmas present to myself.