Desktop Computers

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not so much hardware related but still only to do with desktop PC, so will ask here.

I usually go through lots of cans of air to keep my PC clean daily(being in the desert + pets makes it necessary). Then I take it to the garage about 2-3 weeks to use air compressor on it. I am curious if anyone has tried something else instead of constant cans of air. Something like : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KJBBCSE3DJ8XJ6VY91VS?

Mainly it wont damage components(and yes would have to hold fans still with something like that, like I do with compressor).

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Not so much hardware related but still only to do with desktop PC, so will ask here.

I usually go through lots of cans of air to keep my PC clean daily(being in the desert + pets makes it necessary). Then I take it to the garage about 2-3 weeks to use air compressor on it. I am curious if anyone has tried something else instead of constant cans of air. Something like : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B..._8?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=KJBBCSE3DJ8XJ6VY91VS?

Mainly it wont damage components(and yes would have to hold fans still with something like that, like I do with compressor).

Yep, I have that exact air blower/cleaner thingy. Works great on the PC itself and is awesome for blowing the crap out of keyboards too without having to take all of the damn keycaps off. It'll pay for itself quickly.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

I bought one of these earlier this year and am very happy with it. It's far better than buying canned air.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Perfect Thanks.. My main worry was it damaging components. I figure in just a few months it will have paid for itself in cans of air.

Pizoi

Golden Squire
I've always just used my air compressor with like a 1/8" nozzle set to ~40PSI. Been doing it for years, it's never caused any problems.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Can't remember where i saw one. But anyone have a great step by step guide to assembling my computer from scratch, especially with properly handling the CPU and arctic silvering it in? If not i figure since useful things guys gotta be on YouTube.

Ordered last of parts and doing it when i get tone this week.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I don't have a link for everything to assemble but as far as for properly handling the CPU and applying thermal paste (arctic silver): It is quite easy. After you're got the CPU placed and locked into the motherboard, just put a BB or rice sized dot (not a line) in the middle of the top of the CPU. Then put your heat sink on and it will spread evenly. There are a billion different opinions on this but it is far and away the easiest. Do not spread it with a credit card - you'll likely just introduce unnecessary air pockets.

Example source: Thermal Paste Application Techniques

The temp differences are fairly negligible and using the BB/"rice-grain" sized dot method is very hard to screw up.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Your case and motherboard instructions (and cooler) will have pretty detailed instructions. The first time I built a Pc after several off I used a YouTube video to install a hyper 212 evo

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Perfect Thanks.. My main worry was it damaging components. I figure in just a few months it will have paid for itself in cans of air.

Just don't use it on your fans while they are on/spinning. And don't make them spin the wrong way. I can screw them up big time.

Sludig

Your case and motherboard instructions (and cooler) will have pretty detailed instructions. The first time I built a Pc after several off I used a YouTube video to install a hyper 212 evo
Mobo perhaps and think that's same folder i got. The define case is like ikea. Pretty vague paper instructions with no words. Is fine except in a few places i have options and unsure what would be better. (Leaving panels for optimal fans open or closed for example.)

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
If i upgrade mobo, it's the whole computer. But for my current situation, would be sweet to be able to just get card, maybe waste $80 on some dddr3 and give me through this next year. That way I can shop for deals on the rest of the thing and maybe get my i5-6600k for a better price once other stuff is out?
Never Mind! I did not realize post was old and you already pulled trigger!

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Honestly not better than Define S imo. Only improvement is the tempered glass v plastic side panel.

Pizoi

Golden Squire
Can't remember where i saw one. But anyone have a great step by step guide to assembling my computer from scratch, especially with properly handling the CPU and arctic silvering it in? If not i figure since useful things guys gotta be on YouTube.

Ordered last of parts and doing it when i get tone this week.

GNwURDP.jpg

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Ordered my k70 with mx reds and today a strafe with mx browns shows up

Thanks a lot amazon
Heh mechanical keyboards are awesome. But I would not trust Amazaon or Newegg for stuff like keyboards (or monitors). In my experience best to test and buy em in a store, makes it easy to make certain it has right feel in terms of stiffness etc.

After some bad experiences with mail ordering regular keyboards (squishy unreliable dud keys on expensive name brands) I invested in a very simple but solid Cooler Master (CM Storm). It took a little while to find the right feel to replace my "ancient one" (an IBM model M, dead in closet atm with one broken key).

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Best buy is the only place remotely close and it seems like they stopped carrying corsair stuff locally. The amazon shipments are 2 days so worst case i send it back

Sludig

Everyone here high speed, but think it's worth parting out my old computer to sell these 3 things (keeping or destroying HDD, mobo old, cpu old, elderly parents computers outside of the GPU/ram comparable) If not may keep as emergency computer or something.

GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition
CORSAIR CXM series CX500M 500W Power Supply
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Figured maybe in order put on CL for $80/50/15