Desktop Computers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Fucker

Log Wizard
It's extra heat you have to dissipate somehow.

cooler1.jpg

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It heats up the case, it heats up the room, you people are retarded. It's additional PSU strain, which is then even more heat. All that waste heat goes somewhere, and you have to deal with it.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Mist is being half retarded, but the claims from others that heat in a pc doesn't matter is comprising the other half of that retarded.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Mist is being half retarded, but the claims from others that heat in a pc doesn't matter is comprising the other half of that retarded.

No one is being retarded except Mist. Modern and even older cases of decent quality don't have a hard time getting rid of heat unless you are running top components OC'd cross-eyed. This goes without saying.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
That heat still goes somewhere. My room can be 80 degrees in the winter sometimes if I'm gaming, with the heat vents shut. In a heat wave in July or August, I sometimes cannot game for weeks at a time. I am trying to get a contractor to install mini splits, but finding one that isn't fucking robbery is ridiculously hard.

Any waste heat is something that has to be dealt with. 75 extra watts for the same or worse performance (aside from Vulkan) is typical for AMD cards, and that's why they are shit.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I live in South Florida. Heat is a problem always. I'm pretty much year round at close to 80 ambient, so every little bit matters

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
jesus, go pipe your computer exhaust outside
outside-air-cooled-pc-e1294681843791.jpg

or use some type of y connector and hook it up to your dryer vent
063467850229.jpg

• 1Worf
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 1 users

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
No one is being retarded except Mist. Modern and even older cases of decent quality don't have a hard time getting rid of heat unless you are running top components OC'd cross-eyed. This goes without saying.

Every single bit of heat coming off of your components impacts something. Whether it's the amount of cooling required to get rid of it, the threshold of the component needing to throttle itself, your overclocking potential, decreased lifespan to the components, or ambient temperature within the room. There is an entire industry built around dealing with heat in these situations. It is one of the major limiting factors when it comes to performance.

It is outright ignorance to argue that heat doesn't matter in a PC component. So much so that it borders on being fucking retarded. The reason why it seems that it's not a big issue to the average PC user (idiots) is that there has already been significant efforts put in to alleviate the issue, before their own purchases towards heat management are even considered.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
Every single bit of heat coming off of your components impacts something. Whether it's the amount of cooling required to get rid of it, the threshold of the component needing to throttle itself, your overclocking potential, decreased lifespan to the components, or ambient temperature within the room. There is an entire industry built around dealing with heat in these situations. It is one of the major limiting factors when it comes to performance.

It is outright ignorance to argue that heat doesn't matter in a PC component. So much so that it borders on being fucking retarded. The reason why it seems that it's not a big issue to the average PC user (idiots) is that there has already been significant efforts put in to alleviate the issue, before their own purchases towards heat management are even considered.

You are being a retard. I never said anything about what you are babbling on about. All I said was that a good chassis gets rid of heat very easily. The tacit implication for anyone not a complete dunce is that the individual components are also good at getting rid of heat and the chassis is good at getting rid of it. It's been over TEN years since I had to look at cooling for anything BECAUSE all the component makers have gotten good at it.

I never once said heat is ok. I said that heat is not an issue because cooling is good enough. Learn2Reed.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Well there's a multi multi million dollar business on PC cooling, if not a billion dollar industry.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
No one ever said that. Besides, if you are in a room where a fucking PC can upset the thermal balance, upgrade your living conditions.

My case is as pretty open as it gets. With a 360mm water cooling on top of that. It heats my room like a mutha during gaming sessions. My living conditions are pretty good.

Not sure how a chassis "gets rid of heat".

aaaaa.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

ver_21

Molten Core Raider

Yeah it's nuts.

The processor speculates, or tries to guess, which requests for operations it will receive in the near future (i.e, the next few milliseconds). The processor carries out, or executes, those operations before they are requested in order to save time when the requests are actually made.

The problem is that by carrying out operations before they are actually needed, the CPUs put the results of those operations -- i.e., data -- in their own short-term memory caches. In various ways, Spectre, Meltdown and these latest four flaws all permit attackers to read that data directly from the processor memory caches.

Fucker

Log Wizard
My case is as pretty open as it gets. With a 360mm water cooling on top of that. It heats my room like a mutha during gaming sessions. My living conditions are pretty good.

Not sure how a chassis "gets rid of heat".

View attachment 208225

Uh...you have an open chassis and wonder how it doesn't get rid of heat? How does this even happen? As I said before, if your PC is causing thermal problems in your room, maybe upgrade your room?

I sometimes have 5 computers on in my home office, and they don't impact the ambient temp in any meaningful way. I have a small-assed HO at about 450 sq-ft. Are you people computing in closets FFS?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user