Desktop Computers

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
So I am planning on building a pc soon within 1-2 months I think. I was initially set on a x570 board and a 3900X, with the best 3600 RAM I could find I might get a 30xx nvida card when they drop to replace my 1080. I am now also considering the 10900, and maybe the 10900K if I can find one in stock... Besides the prices of the cpus, whats going to future proof me the most? It will be overkill for what I mostly do, but I like overkill, and if I do throw something at it down the road I want to to be able to run it like a top. I also see that the new AMD chips will still work with the x570 board? So if I did go 3900X I might be able to upgrade down the road.

There is nothing future proof about intel atm so scrap that all together - not to mention no PCIE Gen4 on it

That aside is money isnt an issue

CL14 3800 ram - i bought this for my winter build.

X570 id go with MSI Ace/Tomahawk or a Gigabyte board.

If you plan to upgrade your AMD when the new-new hits then id say a 3600 for time being since no reason to buy a 3900X just to replace it.

Firecuda 520 drives are nice but pricey -

Do you have a price range in mind?

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Got my home server set up and running today except for the hard drives. Last night I realized I wanted another nVME drive to use as a cache drive in Windows Storage Spaces so that should be here tomorrow. Putting it together was a much bigger pain in the ass than I thought it would be with a case this size. I fucking mounted the motherboard interface below those retarded metal tabs that come on the ethernet ports and had to take it all apart to redo it. I shredded both my hands up pretty good rubbing up against the metal heatsinks of the obnoxiously large Noctua cooler. I just about lost my shit trying to finger screw the tiny ass screw for the nVME drive only to realize I had a magnetic tiny screwdriver in my toolbox all along.

On the upside, the i3-9100 I got seems like some pretty decent silicone, I was able to undervolt it at a -.14 offset stable, probably go with -.12 to be safe. Max temps on Prime95 are about 60 at 100% CPU with like 50% fan speed. Idle is high 20s. I never knew computers this quiet existed before, I didn't know what I was missing out on. I had the case open while I was running Prime95 earlier and it was practically inaudible. I'm going to livid if my hard drives end up being some noisy trash that ruins the tranquility of this box...

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I no longer use my computer for cad work and such. Mostly low end gaming stuff. Thinking of going to an amd 450 motherboard and something like a 3600 ryzen. Low end graphics card most likely. What I have now is working just want a little better upgrade on the gpu so might as well upgrade the cpu. I use a 1050ti now in an amd 8350 that's very old but it does what I need but it's getting long in the tooth and the case has had so much stuff fit in it over the years time for a new one. Going down the wrong path?

Last edited:

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I no longer use my computer for cad work and such. Mostly low end gaming stuff. Thinking of going to an amd 450 motherboard and something like a 3600 ryzen. Low end graphics card most likely. What I have now is working just want a little better upgrade on the gpu so might as well upgrade the cpu. I use a 1050ti now in an amd 8350 that's very old but it does what I need but it's getting long in the tooth and the case has had so much stuff fit in it over the years time for a new one. Going down the wrong path?

Change the b450 to b550 to leave yourself a path to the FUTURE!!!!

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I'd start just upgrading the GPU, 1050ti was a shitty low end card when it was new. A current midrange card like a 2060 will probably more than double your FPS. Even a used 980, 1070 or 1080 would run rings around that thing. Never buy an Nvidia card with a 50 in the name if you want it to run games.

1598255863392.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
It was a gift after I gave the 1080 I had back. Also the computer I used then for business went away. It's done fine for the only game I play, a 17 year old game. Eve online. The computer I used in business for my cad work went away shortly after as well so I drug out the 10 year old computer.

Card it on the way out but a replacement will likely be something like the 1660 super. It's more than what I need.

Last edited:

Fucker

Log Wizard
It was a gift after I gave the 1080 I had back. Also the computer I used then for business went away. It's done fine for the only game I play, a 17 year old game. Eve online. The computer I used in business for my cad work went away shortly after as well so I drug out the 10 year old computer.

If Eve is your only game, 1050 is fine.

The board...Gigabyte makes solid AMD boards with solid BIOSes.

Boards: B450 chipset is fine if you only ever plan to use ONE nvme slot. Add more than one, and you lose all but two internal SATA ports. Grab a Gigabte X570 chipset board if you want to have access to all your NVME and SATA ports. An X570 is $60 more, but it leaves you with lots of storage options as well as the next gen CPU if you want one in the future.

RAM: 16GB Gskill 3200 MHz kit (8GB x2 sticks) is fine.

NVME: grab a 1TB model. Get a Western Digital Blue NVME. It's a solid basic model. You can get better, but also more $$. This one will not leave you wanting. AVOID anything with QLC in its spec sheet.

Ryzen 3600 will absolutely curb stomp what you have now.

$5 Windows 10 Pro key from Ebay.

Toss in a good case and PSU and you are at around $700.

Rabkorik

Silver Knight of the Realm
Quick question - family member wants me to help them put together a first PC for their son (9 year old). He was able to save $650 so somewhere in that range not including peripherals and OS.

Should I just go with the mmo-champ build of the month (Puppy) or at this point is there a better approach/option?

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Quick question - family member wants me to help them put together a first PC for their son (9 year old). He was able to save $650 so somewhere in that range not including peripherals and OS.

Should I just go with the mmo-champ build of the month (Puppy) or at this point is there a better approach/option?

How the fuck does a 9 year old get $650

Deebo

Molten Core Raider
There is nothing future proof about intel atm so scrap that all together - not to mention no PCIE Gen4 on it

That aside is money isnt an issue

CL14 3800 ram - i bought this for my winter build.

X570 id go with MSI Ace/Tomahawk or a Gigabyte board.

If you plan to upgrade your AMD when the new-new hits then id say a 3600 for time being since no reason to buy a 3900X just to replace it.

Firecuda 520 drives are nice but pricey -

Do you have a price range in mind?

Yeah that was kind of holding me back from intel was their boards are behind compared to AMD right now. I never plan to SLI cards, but I dont see PCIE gen4 being needed for a long time? I dont think gen 3 is going to be limiting the new gen cards coming out like 30xx series at all will it?

The ram looks good, I see a lot of people saying 3600 is about the sweet spot, just get b die with best timings.

I haven't seen a lot about the new amd chips coming out. Im curious how much of an improvement there would be for the price vs just going with a 3900x and riding that out longer term.

That firecuda looks legit, I was leaning towards a samsung evo plus, but looking at some benchmarks that looks really good.

I would definitely want to spend the money on really fast storage. My main goals for the PC is the fastest boot times, app loading times, game loading times I can without spending crazy amounts. If I do play something on it a little more taxing on it, I want it to be able to run it really well, which I know will depend more on my GPU. But thats where Intel keeps my attention is in FPS over AMD in games.

As far as price range, I dont want to go too crazy like a 2 grand optane drive or some crazy 1k plus RAM kit...

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Yeah that was kind of holding me back from intel was their boards are behind compared to AMD right now. I never plan to SLI cards, but I dont see PCIE gen4 being needed for a long time? I dont think gen 3 is going to be limiting the new gen cards coming out like 30xx series at all will it?

The ram looks good, I see a lot of people saying 3600 is about the sweet spot, just get b die with best timings.

I haven't seen a lot about the new amd chips coming out. Im curious how much of an improvement there would be for the price vs just going with a 3900x and riding that out longer term.

That firecuda looks legit, I was leaning towards a samsung evo plus, but looking at some benchmarks that looks really good.

I would definitely want to spend the money on really fast storage. My main goals for the PC is the fastest boot times, app loading times, game loading times I can without spending crazy amounts. If I do play something on it a little more taxing on it, I want it to be able to run it really well, which I know will depend more on my GPU. But thats where Intel keeps my attention is in FPS over AMD in games.

As far as price range, I dont want to go too crazy like a 2 grand optane drive or some crazy 1k plus RAM kit...

SLI is dead - not truly but its dead. The gains from SLI are just not worth it really so i dont know many people who even bother anymore. PCIE 3 is a limiting factor on storage and with the 3k nvidia series it will limit a bit on the "potential"

Ratama

Lord Nagafen Raider
So my current PC has been showing its age for a while now, an with several interesting gaming titles coming out soon, I’m keen on getting a new rig.

However, the news of the new GPUs hitting the market soon, makes me wonder if I should wait a while longer? Obviously I should, if I want top of the line, but I’m hearing it might be several months before the cards will be readily available here (Denmark).

Basically I’m hoping someone with knowledge and experience can get me off the fence!

For reference, current rig:

Motherboard: ASUS Z170-P
CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K, 4 x 3.50GHz (3.90Ghz Turbo)
GPU: GeForce® STRIX GTX980 TI
RAM: Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz DDR4
Systemdisk: Samsung250GB SSD 850 EVO
Storagedisk: Seagate Barracuda 1000GB 7200 RPM
Wireless Networkscare: PCE-AC68 - Netværksadapter PCI Express 1.3Gbps

I’m looking to pick up a rig that will last me a good 3-4 years, and something that’ll play games like Cyberpunk, Baldur’s Gate 3 and so on with all the bells and whistles.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I'd say wait and see how the dust settles. 2080TI may be the route to go when prices fall in a few weeks. People are already trying to sell off theirs for 800-900 pretty commonly and i suspect that may drop down further by years end with Big Navi and Ampere out in the wild.

If you have time id say a Ryzen 4000 series cpu, potentially 3070 or AMD equivalent, 850w psu since it may be the standard sooner than later.

If now id say 3900x, keep gpu for now, snag a firecuda 520, Fractal ion 860, 32gb of whatever ram really, b550 tomahawk or x570 tomahawk(im an msi guy so i lean this way)

Alot of it is subjective to your price range and availability but there are many routes you can go, and some of which are much cheaper than my suggestions but i tend to just throw money at my rigs /shrug.

Ratama

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'd say wait and see how the dust settles. 2080TI may be the route to go when prices fall in a few weeks. People are already trying to sell off theirs for 800-900 pretty commonly and i suspect that may drop down further by years end with Big Navi and Ampere out in the wild.

If you have time id say a Ryzen 4000 series cpu, potentially 3070 or AMD equivalent, 850w psu since it may be the standard sooner than later.

If now id say 3900x, keep gpu for now, snag a firecuda 520, Fractal ion 860, 32gb of whatever ram really, b550 tomahawk or x570 tomahawk(im an msi guy so i lean this way)

Alot of it is subjective to your price range and availability but there are many routes you can go, and some of which are much cheaper than my suggestions but i tend to just throw money at my rigs /shrug.

Thanks for the input! That does make sense, but I'm concerned the supply of the new cards will be limited until late Q4 or even some point next year :(

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Thanks for the input! That does make sense, but I'm concerned the supply of the new cards will be limited until late Q4 or even some point next year :(

Yes and no, but we early adopters will just have a bit of buyers remorse when next year swings around and they introduce the Super/TI/Grabyourankles versions.

Currently AMD 4000 series cpu is the only thing im set on for sure. GPU may end up being Nvidia simply because AMD is going too slowly and likely trying to release GPU and CPU at same time.

Still no final word on X670 chipset or no, no more info on desktop cpu's, AMD is actually being kind of annoying in all honesty - If Intel wasnt such a poor choice atm id get a 10900k but i feel thats even inferior to a 3950x since i do shit beyond gaming.