Desktop Computers

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Maybe it is a GPU issue as well. The ones I saw had that issue had 1080ti's. But I have no clue. 144hz works fine for me with the 1070. Hopefully the new GPU will work fine as well when I upgrade later this year
Yea, I have a 1080Ti, and it matches the few that I've found that have the same issue. Pretty weird, but it could be it. I'm totally sold on the usefulness of a UW so I'm very happy with the purchase. Considering throwing my 27" 1440p next to it, but vertical orientation for a 2nd screen.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

34" VA is very likely to ghost beyond 100Hz anyway. If you're getting 120Hz without issues I'd consider yourself lucky.

I ended up putting an order in for the Sceptre 35" today just to see how it is. I would have gotten the Acer Nitro IPS one instead but the day I decided to pull the trigger Amazon also decided to jack the price $50. And the AOC no longer shows up in stock anymore; when it's available to buy at all the ship date is mid-October. Not too worried about the Sceptre being 100Hz instead of 144Hz for that reason above.

Yea, I have a 1080Ti, and it matches the few that I've found that have the same issue. Pretty weird, but it could be it. I'm totally sold on the usefulness of a UW so I'm very happy with the purchase. Considering throwing my 27" 1440p next to it, but vertical orientation for a 2nd screen.
I needed a new VESA setup so I went with this along with the monitor. Will be mounting an older 29" UW on top of it.

I need the clamp, but that company also makes one with a normal base if you prefer it.

Last edited:

Crone

34" VA is very likely to ghost beyond 100Hz anyway. If you're getting 120Hz without issues I'd consider yourself lucky.

I ended up putting an order in for the Sceptre 35" today just to see how it is. I would have gotten the LG IPS one instead but the day I decided to pull the trigger Amazon also decided to jack the price $50. And the AOC no longer shows up in stock anymore; when it's available to buy at all the ship date is mid-October. Not too worried about the Sceptre being 100Hz instead of 144Hz for that reason above.

I needed a new VESA setup so I went with this along with the monitor. Will be mounting an older 29" UW on top of it.

I need the clamp, but that company also makes one with a normal base if you prefer it.
Nice. That's pretty fancy! I had been using 2 monitor pedestals that raised up my screens about 6 inches. I just put those together and put the UW in the middle. When I redo my office after the kitchen remodel I'm gonna do something similar to what Noodle has and get a bigger desk. That's when I'm gonna look into the arms and stuff.

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm

I ended up putting an order in for the Sceptre 35" today just to see how it is. I would have gotten the Acer Nitro IPS one instead but the day I decided to pull the trigger Amazon also decided to jack the price $50. And the AOC no longer shows up in stock anymore; when it's available to buy at all the ship date is mid-October. Not too worried about the Sceptre being 100Hz instead of 144Hz for that reason above.

I bought a similar cheap one for the two 24" I had and got 3 different bases (foot, clamp and one you needed to drill). Was unexpected.

Yours looks like a good solution the day i miss the second screen. But it will be a while, I'm broke now!

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Sold my Sennheiser HD700's, and had a few bucks left over, so I snagged some Corsair Vengence RGB memory. Just for the RGB. That's a damn shame.

IMG_20200818_084051.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I did something pretty dumb this weekend - knocked over an entire glass of water into the top of my pc....

Took the entire thing apart, wiped as much down with alcohol as possible and it seems like everything is working okay again. For whatever reason, my memory clocks reset though to 1.2k vs 3200 and I'm having the most annoying time getting them back to stock speeds.

Instead of fiddling with it I may just buy the X570 Aorus Master board and hope that will keep me good the next several years into zen 3 CPU's. Would also be nice have the extra M.2 slots and the 2.5 gb Lan connection

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Is it one of those XMP / AMP things or do you have to fiddle with manual timings? Dunno how this works on AMD.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
It could be "fixed" with XMP, but it isn't actually working - I fiddle with manual timings but it's a gigantic pain in the ass, and I remember having to reset like 20 times to get settings right and stable and I still settled for 3000 instead of 3200 and just called it a day

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Hey all!

I need suggestions for a Windows based desktop computer, with wired mouse and keyboard, that would be fine running internet based applications and office suite. Something “iMac-like”, with it being thin so it fits in a small space on a countertop. No external tower, or if it’s one of those Mac mini style things if it would mount on the monitor. Something under $1000 all in.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Hey all!

I need suggestions for a Windows based desktop computer, with wired mouse and keyboard, that would be fine running internet based applications and office suite. Something “iMac-like”, with it being thin so it fits in a small space on a countertop. No external tower, or if it’s one of those Mac mini style things if it would mount on the monitor. Something under $1000 all in.
Here ya go bro:

Just add your desired keyboard and mouse.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I did something pretty dumb this weekend - knocked over an entire glass of water into the top of my pc....

Took the entire thing apart, wiped as much down with alcohol as possible and it seems like everything is working okay again. For whatever reason, my memory clocks reset though to 1.2k vs 3200 and I'm having the most annoying time getting them back to stock speeds.

Instead of fiddling with it I may just buy the X570 Aorus Master board and hope that will keep me good the next several years into zen 3 CPU's. Would also be nice have the extra M.2 slots and the 2.5 gb Lan connection

You made me look at my clock speeds on this new memory! It's sitting at 3k according to bios. New mem says 3600. How do I get that higher?

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
You made me look at my clock speeds on this new memory! It's sitting at 3k according to bios. New mem says 3600. How do I get that higher?
Should be a setting in your bios, assuming your motherboard supports that speed/overclocking.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
you might have to fiddle with voltage and timing, I had to do that to get the advertised speed on my ryzen build

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hey all!

We have a bunch of these monitor mounted Dell Micro PCs in the office, obviously not a powerhouse PC but they work pretty well for office/youtube use. Might be worth a look.

1597771894251.png

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Looks like you have everything to support it at 3600 from a hardware perspective. You can try increasing the voltage to see if you get stable as someone mentioned, but honestly it sounds like you got some bad RAM, and I would go ahead and return it if you're unable to get the advertised specs at default voltage. With RAM there is always huge variance in the performance of the silicone you receive, probably more so than any other PC component.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Looks like you have everything to support it at 3600 from a hardware perspective. You can try increasing the voltage to see if you get stable as someone mentioned, but honestly it sounds like you got some bad RAM, and I would go ahead and return it if you're unable to get the advertised specs at default voltage. With RAM there is always huge variance in the performance of the silicone you receive, probably more so than any other PC component.

Ahhh. I didn't change the voltage. What is the downside to changing the voltage?